GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To anybody who's seen Van Helsing"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/08/05 at 21:28
Regular
"0228"
Can you please tell me what it's about?

Having recently read Dracula I can't see how the film makes any sense at all. From what I gather, in the film he goes around slaying numerous famous creatures from horror stories and is a fairly young man and a good, fearless fighter. The only similarity I can see is that he has a good knowledge of vampires.

So, can anybody explain?
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:28
Regular
"0228"
Can you please tell me what it's about?

Having recently read Dracula I can't see how the film makes any sense at all. From what I gather, in the film he goes around slaying numerous famous creatures from horror stories and is a fairly young man and a good, fearless fighter. The only similarity I can see is that he has a good knowledge of vampires.

So, can anybody explain?
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:30
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Yeah, it's about this monster hunter who sets out to fight Dracula.

There's a plot somewhere. It's just all this comedy-ness has blocked it out. Watch it, it's very good.
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:37
Regular
"0228"
But Van Helsing isn't a monster hunter, he's a professor from Holland. He has 'reddish hair' too, it makes no sense!
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:43
Regular
"The definitive tag"
JFH wrote:
> But Van Helsing isn't a monster hunter, he's a professor from Holland.
> He has 'reddish hair' too, it makes no sense!

It's a movie, it doesn't have to make sense.

It has to be good though, which is something that Van Helsing very much is not.
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:46
Regular
"0228"
Chr1s wrote:
> It's a movie, it doesn't have to make sense.

But if somebody made a film about Moses you'd expect it to follow the traditional storie rather than turning him into a world class surfer who parts the waves purely to be able to perform better tricks. Same principle applies here.
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:49
Regular
"The definitive tag"
JFH wrote:
> Chr1s wrote:
> It's a movie, it doesn't have to make sense.
>
> But if somebody made a film about Moses you'd expect it to follow the
> traditional storie rather than turning him into a world class surfer
> who parts the waves purely to be able to perform better tricks. Same
> principle applies here.

Has to be entertaining though, and the original Van Helsing looks like it would have made for an even worse movie than what we got.
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:49
Regular
Basically Van Helsing is some kind of "Frankstein" type professor who has a knowledge of the supernatural such as Vampires

I think his girlfriend gets captured. He then has to make his way to Draculas' castle and kill him, or maybe the village is in peril, I watched it last Summer

He basically encounters Frankenstein and someone who's like a Wolfman, they've combined many mythical creatures into one place and made Dracula some kind of "Supernatural king"

It's got excellent Special effects, some decent acting and is just quite action packed throughout (with some tension)
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:52
Regular
"0228"
Chr1s wrote:
> Has to be entertaining though, and the original Van Helsing looks
> like it would have made for an even worse movie than what we got.

There isn't an 'original Van Helsing'. The character just appears in Dracula as the supernatural expert to help the other charaters destroy him.
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:58
Regular
"The definitive tag"
JFH wrote:
> Chr1s wrote:
> Has to be entertaining though, and the original Van Helsing looks
> like it would have made for an even worse movie than what we got.
>
> There isn't an 'original Van Helsing'. The character just appears in
> Dracula as the supernatural expert to help the other charaters
> destroy him.

They just altered and expanded on the character into a more Hollywoodish Van Helsing then so they could turn it into an action movie.

Accuracy isn't everything, and I doubt most would really know what the character is supposed to be like.
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:58
Regular
"That's right!"
It's basically The Mummy, but with Dracula and The Wolfman instead of the, er, mummy.

So you get Hugh Jackman running around with lots of guns instead of Brendan Fraser, and Kate Beckinsale instead of Rachel Weisz as the rather fit Brit brunette.

It's not too bad, worth a look.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.