GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Could microsoft suprise us all ????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/01 at 20:32
Regular
This may have been done recently or it may not. I am a massive ps2 fan(just because I don’t have a ps2 doesn’t mean I don’t like it)but have been quite worried in the last couple of weeks. I too hate Bill Gates and have been putting his console down and not giving it a chance, But it seems that the x-box will be bigger than expected.

We all love to sit and take the pi$$ out of Bill Gates Bowl hair cut but the new Microsoft console could be the biggest and conquer the console wars. I was all for hating it and the Microsoft director but after watching a games channel (.TV technology, game over) I realised how big the x-box’s success will be. Everyone is convincing everyone it will be to powerful for its own good but have you seen the smooth graphics on it. The extremely successful series Unreal is coming to the x-box in the form of unreal Championship. The game is not just a building ,cramped up based style(like unreal tournament) but has open fields leading to rivers and so on. This was a nice feature in its self but once tuning my TV in properly I saw the amazing graphics on it. The arm and gun was good enough for me but then seeing the gentle, polygon filled scenery. Not meaning to draw attention to one single game but its just the start for a possibly excellent future.

The games
The x-box is releasing some excellent games..proofà WWF raw Is war, Trans world skate boarding, Jet Set Radio, Dino crisis 3, Obi Wan and probably loads more but I have tried for about an hour and can’t find any others. I did try. Anyway my point being Microsoft have some good titles coming and which could make the people change their minds about purchasing Bill” Bowl cut” gates console of the year. Maybe I am being a little enthusiastic and exaggerating it a bit.

Now , good news for sega fans. Microsoft has signed a deal with sega, which will mean sega will make about 12 games to start with on the x-box. Jet set radio (a popular game on the Dreamcast) will be appearing and with all new graphics and abilities. Crazi taxi is also coming. But one for the real arcade fans HOUSE OF THE DEAD 3 is being made for the x-box. This will include a special comfort light gun. And for the sports fans the following games were announced, NFL, NBA, World Series Baseball and NCAA Football. And for you people that like to smash your way through games, Nascar has come and is a guaranteed success seeing the ability to play anyone over the Internet is available. AND finally DEAD OR ALIVE 3 will be on the x-box and is guaranteed to set the standards for all Beat em ups to come.

Now, we all know that the x-box isn’t the only next-gen console so lets look at what the Gamecube and PS2 have going for them.
PS2- The ps2 has been heavily criticised as not being good enough but most of the people that do it just don’t want to believe that Sony have come up with a console that will match the Gamecube and x-box. With putting games like SSX, Ridge Racer 5 and Timesplitters on the release the ps2 was going well, selling out instantly in Britain. For the unlucky SONy fans that had to wait until England had anymore PS2s playing Tekken 3 and GT2 was all that could satisfy them. Then came march, ps2s were back in again but this time did not sell out. Even the most Die hard Nintendo fans will now have to admit the ps2 has great games and the console still has many more years. If there is a massive Nintendo fan reading this and thinking “the ps2 will be pats” you should go and read and issue of PSM2. With games like mgs2 (Which by the way will be the game that stretches all limits and show’s what the console can really do) the ps2 can match up to anything. And if the ps2 does not compare in any way to the Gamecube or X-box then wait for the PS3.

Gamecube
This is the console everyone thinks will win the “console WAR”. With the N64 always being better than the PS1, Nintendo FANs can look forward to some excellent sequels. He capability on the Cube matches the X-box’s so its really down to the fans and the games. Even though I am getting a ps2 in a few weeks, I have always loved Nintendo’s style and can’t wait for the return of Mario, Link and Joanna Dark. The one part I’m not so thrilled about is the return of Pokemon. Maybe for some this will be a welcome comeback but for me its just one game toooo many. Nintendo are kindly keeping their Fans happy with the Game Boy Advance, A game boy, But 3D. The Gamecube looks promising and with the return of the classic characters its just too perfect for the fans.

I’m sorry to bring up the subject again but this time I am not stating the obvious. I think the x-box could surprise all of us. Microsoft are getting games off Sega as you are reading right now, (unless Reaper {DC} is because he never sleeps)and after all, isn’t it the games that sell the console …… yes(unless you just buy it for the web)
Most of you probably hate Bill gates too much to hear me out and admit it is looking good for the multimillionaire. Obviously it has some competition from the Gamecube and PS2 but maybe it can eliminate them both, or maybe I am staying up to late trying to prove my point(it did take me 2 days to find all those games and have the proof so none of this is false.)and seeing things in my head, I don’t know. But one thing is for sure Bill Gates Needs a new Haircut…..and That the x-box is a great console. Could it surprise us all. Reply if you want a mature conversation about this, or if you want to snigger at Bill gates…

THANX
Khazar
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:41
Are there actually any huge games confirmed for the Xbox, that will be able to sell the Xbox.
Dead or Alive 3 could be one of them, but it would need to improve dramatically over the second to be huge enough as the second one was very good.
Could Munch's Oddysee be the one. I haven't much about this one to actually give an opinion.

Does anyone know of any huge games that can help to sell Xbox?
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:35
Regular
I don't think microsoft can do any more than they are at the moment. What will surprise people is the introduction of a massive game which will sell the Xbox to the minions!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:18
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
To the original topic, could microsoft suprise us all. The answer, no.
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:13
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah it looks a bit like a toaster!

Anyway dont take that XBOX games on PC thing as Gospel truth because I am not sure if it is true, but I suppose it could work!
Wed 06/06/01 at 17:11
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
You can play XBOX games on a PC. I never knew that. Thanks for the info. Obviously my pap PC wont be able to play them but some of my friends might be able to. I will get the GC and it will hopefully blow me away. Have you seen the special GC it looks a bit weird if you ask me. Anyways I gotta go as I have to hand in my English coursework in by tommorrow and I still need to copy it into neat. Hopefully I will be back later, but if I am not I will be here for tommorrows election. I just wish I could become a regular before tonight.
Wed 06/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
To the original message:

You are right the XBOX will be the biggest console...it is huge and probably nearly as big or Bigger than my DVD player.

There are some good games coming out incuding Black & White and I have heard DOA3. They all seem to have really smooth graphics but they are just as smooth as the GC graphics I have seen.

And I also read somewhere, this is gonna be quite vague and inaccurate but in a post some time ago on the old FOG forum someone said that it is good and all going about boasting that the XBOX is nearly 700mhz but the way it is set up dosent allow it to work at its fullest standards, bringing it down to working at around 500mhz like the GC.

The GC and XBOX are both 128bit so there is no competition there but the GC will have that 64dd card which raises the competition and level of the GC.

I am not sure about the XBOX but I know that there will be a modem for the GC and there will be another version of the GameCube that plays games, CD's and DVD's.

The discs that are used for the XBOX are going to be normal discs like the PS2's (i think) where as the GC's will be different and have more memory.

The XBOX WILL be a good console and so WILL the GameCube but I am still going to go for a GameCube and not the XBOX, and so will a lot of the population of gamers, and I know nearly all of my friends who are planning on getting a next gen console are thinking of getting the GC partly because of its price and they think it will be better.

Correct me if I wrong but, Anyway dont XBOX games work on a good standard PC anyway. If they do they should probably work on a fairly new PC like a P3 700mhz at least, because I am getting a P4 1.5ghz and if the XBOX games do work on a PC then I wont bother getting one or having to make a last minute desicion on if I should or shouldnt get a GC then I can buy the games instead.

This last paragraph is only from what I have heard about the XBOX a while ago and please tell me if the games will work on a good PC.

ZP
Wed 06/06/01 at 14:20
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Microsoft are in a very good position because almost everyone knows about them. It is always good to start with a clean slate like Microsoft are doing with the console market.
Wed 06/06/01 at 13:28
Sonic Rav, J Allard was also head of Microsofts online strategy for years (according to Edge magazine anyway). Which suggests that an internet browser, online games and PC conversions will be the stuff X-box is made out of.
As a PC that can plug into the TV the X-box will survive, Im not sure it will survive as a Console. The Japanese wont buy a non Japanese Console, and Japan represents a 3rd of the Console Market...if a machine doesnt make it in Japan it flops.
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:31
I know that the Xbox is going to be a big console, but personally, I don't think the size of a console really matters.

Microsoft could surprise us all. They seem to have quite a lot of backing from games developers and publishers, so should have some impressive games.
Wed 06/06/01 at 11:41
Regular
"Back For Good"
you're right the xbox will be big in fact huge!!

not the big you're thinking of though it's actually a whopping 15 x 14 inch and it looks really bulky.

Compared to the 12 x 7 inch PS2 which is lovely designed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.