GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Humour in games."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
What about it?

Well, there aren't enough funny games. The Monkey Islands were great... as were most of the Lucasarts adventures, Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max especially... but humour seems to be lacking in most games these days.

I'm not talking about little things, like Solid Snake shuffling in a locker, but more of the type of game that's funny all the way through.

Many have tried and failed badly, the Larry series is a good example of games that are supposed to be very funny, but fall flat on their face.

And, as it seems the main source of humour in games, Lucasarts, aren't making adventures anymore, what can we look forward to?

The only funny game that's been around recently is Conker's Bad Fur Day. I love anything that takes the mick out of famous films...

So... instead of discussing about humour in games, try and think of some of the funniest games you've played. Saying "Microsoft Train Simulator is quite a funny game" or something of simular context will not be accepted. It's too obvious, and just isn't funny.

Actually, discuss what the hell you want. It's not as if we're going to stick to the subject anyway. :0)
Mon 04/06/01 at 20:29
Hasn't anyone here ever played Giants? Ah, what a shame that such a good game does not recieve the recognition it deserves. Of course it didn't have enough Mecc levels, and both Kabuto and the Sea Reaper are rubbish. They should have made it entirely Mecc except for multiplayer and they could have even had more weapons and such. The Gyrocopter is great and you never have to use it, infact it's almost a waste of time to use it in the one level where you get it. Except possibly that it's a faster way of transporting the pop-up bomb. Listen to Ride with Valkyries while flying the Gyrocopter, I still don't know why they didn't put that in.

Infact, I think that the game should have been better and hopefully they'll make a sequel that's entirely Mecc. Actually a sequel wouldn't work, so make it a spin off. Or they could just make a whole new original game with the same sense of humour and not get distracted by the other characters in the game. Kabuto is just not as much fun as it should be because it's too easy and there's too much of it. Basically it goes grab, eat, stomp and stomp, stomp, butt slam and grab, throw, laugh. Fun for a while but I would have gladly traded all 5 missions for 1 more Mecc mission (but preferably 5).

Still, it's a hilarious game and the cutscenes are excellent and in the game engine so a double good for Grix. Except perhaps that the whole thing is 3rd person, but the point is that you can control 3 characters and a lot of visual jokes might be missed with first person.
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:49
Regular
Nope, job offer. Going when I leave.

I think. I need to brush up on my 3d modelling first.
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> The_Vottanator wrote:
> Right thats it. I'm phoning Rare. Last
> chance to apologise Grix.

> I have their phone number if you want
> it.

Don't you work at Rare?
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:42
Regular
The_Vottanator wrote:
> Right thats it. I'm phoning Rare. Last chance to apologise Grix.

I have their phone number if you want it.
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:39
"possibly impossible"
How about:

How to be a complete bstd on the Spectrum and C64 (based on the tv mini-series featuring Rick Mayall)?

The aim of the game was to be as obnoxious as possible, putting clingfilm over the toilet seat and drinking all the contents of the cocktail cabinets would earn you extra points.

Purile, but sniggersome in a way....
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I was joking, by the way. I meant that some Nintys are very ... forceful.
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:29
Regular
"You've upset me"
Lol

Serisouly though, I KNOW Grix is getting urinated off by newbies getting at him for joking about having power becuase he's a "Notable". So just lay off him! (And the rest of the Notables) they haven't done anything wrong, I personally think that whoever gets at them is just jealous.

Just grow up, OK?!
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:27
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> Right thats it. I'm phoning Rare. Last chance to apologise Grix.

lick, lick.......oh no that sounds dirty. Forget I said anything.
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:25
Regular
"You've upset me"
The last post was me making a point... in a jokey way.
Mon 04/06/01 at 19:25
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Right thats it. I'm phoning Rare. Last chance to apologise Grix.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.