GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Humour in games."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
What about it?

Well, there aren't enough funny games. The Monkey Islands were great... as were most of the Lucasarts adventures, Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max especially... but humour seems to be lacking in most games these days.

I'm not talking about little things, like Solid Snake shuffling in a locker, but more of the type of game that's funny all the way through.

Many have tried and failed badly, the Larry series is a good example of games that are supposed to be very funny, but fall flat on their face.

And, as it seems the main source of humour in games, Lucasarts, aren't making adventures anymore, what can we look forward to?

The only funny game that's been around recently is Conker's Bad Fur Day. I love anything that takes the mick out of famous films...

So... instead of discussing about humour in games, try and think of some of the funniest games you've played. Saying "Microsoft Train Simulator is quite a funny game" or something of simular context will not be accepted. It's too obvious, and just isn't funny.

Actually, discuss what the hell you want. It's not as if we're going to stick to the subject anyway. :0)
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
What about it?

Well, there aren't enough funny games. The Monkey Islands were great... as were most of the Lucasarts adventures, Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max especially... but humour seems to be lacking in most games these days.

I'm not talking about little things, like Solid Snake shuffling in a locker, but more of the type of game that's funny all the way through.

Many have tried and failed badly, the Larry series is a good example of games that are supposed to be very funny, but fall flat on their face.

And, as it seems the main source of humour in games, Lucasarts, aren't making adventures anymore, what can we look forward to?

The only funny game that's been around recently is Conker's Bad Fur Day. I love anything that takes the mick out of famous films...

So... instead of discussing about humour in games, try and think of some of the funniest games you've played. Saying "Microsoft Train Simulator is quite a funny game" or something of simular context will not be accepted. It's too obvious, and just isn't funny.

Actually, discuss what the hell you want. It's not as if we're going to stick to the subject anyway. :0)
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:26
Regular
Did anyone ever the play the beavis and butthead game? i say this becasue i never played it, what the hell did you do in this game?
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:28
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I always found WWF ATTITUDE quite funny although it was always for the wrong reasons.
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:32
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
That's a good point Grix, i don'tr think I have any games that are funny in my big collection of games. I always thought the option to make you charcater in Grand Theft Auto burp or pass wind was funny, just goes to show how un-funny games are, doesn't it?
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:35
Regular
I have never heard of a game like that, but Conker is indeed one.
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:38
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Half Life was always amusing right enough.

Shooting scientists with a double blast from the shotgun always cracked me up. Especially when they're stuck in a corner and they can't die. You just keep blasting away with them saying, "Hmmmmm I seem to be seriously wounded".

Wouldn't mind trying that to Votta. Add to list #1055
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:47
Regular
The_Vottanator wrote:

"Shooting scientists with a double blast from the shotgun always cracked me up."

That's rather worrying when you put it on it's own. It's rather worrying when you put it with the rest of what you wrote as well... :0)
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The Discworld games. Pure Pratchett.
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:50
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> The_Vottanator wrote:

"Shooting scientists with a double
> blast from the shotgun always cracked me up."

That's
> rather worrying when you put it on it's own. It's rather worrying
> when you put it with the rest of what you wrote as well... :0)

Oh come on. Don't try to tell me that you've never found that amusing.
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:51
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Hey You, Pikachu must be a funny game... never played the thing but how can telling Pikachu to jump in a river and get soaked not be funny?!

It would compare to flooring your 'Creature' in Black and White... Heh, my Monkey took a beating!

Other funny games.... Day of the Tentacle.... Heh, "Bernaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard" - LOL!!!

Conker is funny, but more sick funny than funny, funny. Although there were somethings that made me laugh that weren't toilet of cex orientated. Like er... Whacking the Bona dudes into the lava... mind you that is pretty sick!

I think Mario 64 is the funniest game... the way he runs into walls....Ha! And when he runs in circles holding his bum when he gets roasted! - Shigsy certainly hasn't lost it!

One should-be funny game that I found plain annoying was Stupid Invaders (PC / DC) Bloody Aliens, nearly as bat as cats... I hate the bloody things... 9 lives, how bloody stupid! ^_^

Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.