GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forest"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/07/05 at 09:02
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Forest Fan wrote:

>
> Obviously, and they shouldn't have shot him. It wasn't a split second
> decision from what I gather, they had no reason to shoot him and the
> police were in the wrong in my opinion. But I agree with the general
> principle of disabling terrorists by shooting to kill.

So...they followed him from a block of flats, chased him into a tube station, ran after him, and made (to the best of my knowledge) no initial attempt to stop him prior to this chase...all in a split second? NB. You'd said it WASN'T a split second; apologies for that.

And I note you make no attempt to address my accusation that you're taking sickening pleasure in the death of someone whom you believed to be a terrorist.

> One of the main Christian principles (as Aquinas puts it) is to
> preserve life and protect the innocent. Of course it is better to
> terminate one life which seeks to destroy many others, than let
> innocents die.

And this relates to the death of an innocent man...how exactly?

Leaving aside my amusement at seeing you go from "Catholicism is the work of the devil" to quoting a Catholic saint, did Aquinas say that you should take pleasure in preserving life and protecting the innocent by means of killing? St Thomas referred to the Capital Sentence when he talked of protecting the innocent, which implies a due process. Where is the due process in chasing a man down and shooting him in the head?

Have you looked at the Evangelium Vitae, which states quite clearly that;

The direct and voluntary killing of an innocent human being is always gravely immoral"

Or maybe The Catechism which, quoting the instruction "Donum vitae," states,

"God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being"

Or, again, can I ask you to reconsider that whole wacky "Thou shalt not kill" principle that you seem to have forgotten?

> Well that's the truth, isn't it?

Yes, it is. And, as I said, I do so because you never, EVER think about what you're saying. You spout a learned-by-rote slogan that you don't even understand. And I take great enjoyment making you think, seeing as you clearly dislike doing so. Your petulant running away once your "jewish christianity" lying was dissected gave that away.

Now then; that's enough for this thread. If you want to continue this, here's the new thread for it.
Thu 28/07/05 at 14:16
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Light wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> You can call yourself a Muslim Hinduist, doesn't mean it's
> legitimate
> and has any worth as a religion.

The fact that Jesus himself was Jewsish, was seen as a messianic figure by a group of Jews (before 'Christianity' even existed), and that Christianity can be seen as an offshoot of a jewish sect means that there is some basis for a legitimate position to be argued here though.

You can't believe in all the core Jewish and Christian ideas at once as they're surely irreconcilable. Judaism and Jesus as a religious leader or even as a messiah (though not in the 'Christian' sense of messiah) do not seem so wildly opposed to me.
Thu 28/07/05 at 14:18
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
loki wrote:

>
> You can't believe in all the core Jewish and Christian ideas at once
> as they're surely irreconcilable. Judaism and Jesus as a religious
> leader or even as a messiah (though not in the 'Christian' sense of
> messiah) do not seem so wildly opposed to me.

As you say yourself; "Not in the Christian sense". If you're not accepted Jesus as a messiah in the Christian sense, you cannot possibly call yourself Christian. You can be one, but not the other.
Thu 28/07/05 at 14:22
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Light wrote:

> Look, you're using a lot of sects, cults, and heresies to argue your
> point. You're not, however, saying that these things are accepted by
> the majority, or by the clergy, correct?

Correct. It was never my claim that a Christian could ever be considered a Jew in by any mainsteam, organised religious group.

Only that all religions have offshoots, sects and heretics and that it is sometime only historical accident that separates a crackpot faith from a legitimate new branch of a religion (see the history of the protestant reformation for hundreds of examples).

And that the idea of someone who considered themself jewsih that saw jesus in the jewish messianic tradition is no more crackpot than anyone else as there is a lot of common history/theology between them.
Thu 28/07/05 at 14:25
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Light wrote:

> As you say yourself; "Not in the Christian sense". If
> you're not accepted Jesus as a messiah in the Christian sense, you
> cannot possibly call yourself Christian. You can be one, but not the
> other.

Yep, but i don't see any reason why it would be invalid to be a jew and belive in christ as messiah. I don't believe you can be a Jew and a Christian and subscribe to all their beliefs. They are clearly incompatible in a number of areas (how many depends on which sect of Christianity you want to take as the gold standard).
Thu 28/07/05 at 15:29
Light wrote:
> down wrote:
> All religious people "advise" you to follow their religion
>
> It doesn't mean you have to.
>
> That is exactly what I am saying; you don't have to. But if
> you don't, you can't expect that faith to accept you as one of its
> own.
>
> It's like...well, when a footballer picked up the ball and ran with
> it, no he didn't HAVE to continue just kicking it. But the fact that
> he picked it up means that he's not playing by the rules of that
> game. Hence, a new set of rules was needed, and we now have the
> totally separate game of Rugby.
>
> Is this making sense or am I babbling?

I don't know what you're saying.

>
> The fact the long hair and the turban is part of obeying god's will
> suggests it is a big a part of Sikhism as the ten commandments are
> of
> Christianity.
>
> I'd point, once again, to the language used; advice and suggestions
> are rather different to "Thou shalt do this or I'll spank
> you", are they not? It does indeed sound a big part of their
> faith, but does it sound like the sort of thing that one would be
> expelled from the faith for? Based on what I've read, and the
> circumstances you describe I personally would say not. However, as I
> keep asking you, what do his clergy say about it?

Well, he's in Greece at the moment, and texting him will cost about a billion pounds.

Anyway, aren't most religions just metaphorical advice?
Thu 28/07/05 at 17:16
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
loki wrote:

> Correct. It was never my claim that a Christian could ever be
> considered a Jew in by any mainsteam, organised religious group.

Okay, just wanted to make sure I had the right end of the stick there.

My problem with Forest stems from his claim that he WAS stating he was accepted as both Jew and Christian by a mainstream and organised religious group. My argument is that to be regarded as a member of a any religious group, one has to abide by the rules of that group. And he had tried to state that the 2 groups he claimed membership of's rules allowed his particular beliefs. Which, of course, they don't.

I've no problem with him if he'd accepted that was part of a sect/cult/religious group with no roots beyond "Hey, I fancy being a Jewish Christian". As is, he followed that tiresome evangelical route of stating that his personal beliefs were the only ones sanctioned by God. And, naturally, the red mist descended...
Thu 28/07/05 at 17:19
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
loki wrote:

> Yep, but i don't see any reason why it would be invalid to be a jew
> and belive in christ as messiah. I don't believe you can be a Jew and
> a Christian and subscribe to all their beliefs. They are clearly
> incompatible in a number of areas (how many depends on which sect of
> Christianity you want to take as the gold standard).

Thing is, ALL sects of Christianity take Christ as the Messiah. So if you believe in Christ as a messiah in the Jewish messianic sense we've being discussing then you cannot possibly be a Christian. But if you believe in him in the Christian sense, you fall foul of the Jewish belief that the Messiah (as in the Son of God, chosen to lead the Jews) has not yet arrived on earth.

I would agree that there are an awful lot of areas where Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are compatible with one another; it's only to be expected when they all share the Old Testament in their respective Holy Books. But there is a reason that those 3 faiths are separate and distinct, and it's due to their incompatibility on major tenets of faith.
Thu 28/07/05 at 17:22
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
down wrote:

>
> I don't know what you're saying.

That if you change the rules of a game, unless the majority agree to the rule change, you've just created a whole new game.

> Well, he's in Greece at the moment, and texting him will cost about a
> billion pounds.
>
> Anyway, aren't most religions just metaphorical advice?

Hell yes. But the advice differs from sect to sect, faith to faith. And when the advice of two differing faiths contradicts, it's impossible to follow both.

Anyway, to both yourself and loki; thanks for making a dull day very enjoyable. Best and most honest debate about religion I've had for a long time, and it's definitely made me think.
Thu 28/07/05 at 17:23
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Light wrote:
> My problem with Forest stems from his claim that he WAS stating he
> was accepted as both Jew and Christian by a mainstream and organised
> religious group. My argument is that to be regarded as a member of a
> any religious group, one has to abide by the rules of that group. And
> he had tried to state that the 2 groups he claimed membership of's
> rules allowed his particular beliefs. Which, of course, they don't.

I admit that I would not be accepted in the mainstream Jewish community, but I don't feel that there's any reason not to be considered Jewish as I feel I am following more of the Old Testament (including Isaiah 53) than Rabbis and contemporary Judaism.
Thu 28/07/05 at 18:39
Regular
"One Man Landslide"
Forest Fan wrote:
> Light wrote:
> My problem with Forest stems from his claim that he WAS stating he
> was accepted as both Jew and Christian by a mainstream and organised
> religious group. My argument is that to be regarded as a member of a
> any religious group, one has to abide by the rules of that group.
> And
> he had tried to state that the 2 groups he claimed membership of's
> rules allowed his particular beliefs. Which, of course, they don't.
>
> I admit that I would not be accepted in the mainstream Jewish
> community, but I don't feel that there's any reason not to be
> considered Jewish as I feel I am following more of the Old Testament
> (including Isaiah 53) than Rabbis and contemporary Judaism.

Wow, talk about "holier than thou"...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.