GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TFT. Good???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/05/05 at 19:56
Regular
I bought a 19" TFT the other day to replace an old cheap 19" CRT and I'm not really impressed.

It's an [URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=86812[/URL]

The text quality is poor and even with windows smoothing it makes it blured and unreadable in places.

In games you can actually see the pixels in some cases and again, the text looks very poor (especially WoW).

Is this just this monitor or do TFT's in general look grainy?

I like the fact it has no reflections and it is true 19" as well as the obvious size of the thing, however other than that I don't really like it.

I think I'll be swapping it for a new flat screen CRT.
Mon 30/05/05 at 12:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Damarus wrote:
> My return with ebuyer has been accepted (it has 2 dead pixels anyway)
> so I will be refunded £250.

Cool, usually it's 3 dead ones before getting a return.

> Cookie:
>
> I can't get any pics as my digi cam is crap. In some instances text
> looks really faded and is somewhat hard to read. In WoW you can see
> every pixel in the text and it looks really jaggy.

That's a combination of your connection to the monitor and your GFX settings (card) causing the text problems in WOW. I get the same problem in DC_Final if my AA, AF etc are up too high or too low.
Mon 30/05/05 at 11:39
Regular
I may just be tempted to use my old monitor for a while and use the money to upgrade the rest of my pc. Then get a much better one when needed.

My return with ebuyer has been accepted (it has 2 dead pixels anyway) so I will be refunded £250.

Cookie:

I can't get any pics as my digi cam is crap. In some instances text looks really faded and is somewhat hard to read. In WoW you can see every pixel in the text and it looks really jaggy.
Mon 30/05/05 at 11:10
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Damarus wrote:

> EDIT: Although I miss my higher resolutions in games so I'm probably
> still going to change it to a CRT.

With games moving across to HD in the next year, CRT's will soon be of no use at all for games. I'm surprised you getting so much hassle from a Sammy TFT, but then your biggest problem is running a TFT on RGB/VGA which really doesn't help.

I suggest to anyone going TFT, go DVI, the difference is quite substantial.
Mon 30/05/05 at 11:01
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Can you take a picture with a digicam? I'd be interested to see how bad it looks.
Mon 30/05/05 at 10:36
Regular
It seems ok at the minute. I'm guessing I just probably need to get used to using a TFT and after that it should fine.

EDIT: Although I miss my higher resolutions in games so I'm probably still going to change it to a CRT.
Mon 30/05/05 at 04:32
Regular
That's strange I've had a TFT for a few months now and it's been perfect, different brand but same comapany you bought from.
The only thing I can think of is what everyone else has advised. Try every resolution with every supported refresh rate you have, make sure you've installed the monitor driver of course, make sure you're monitor cable (not power) is in properly and that you have a good viewing angle from where you sit.
Mon 30/05/05 at 01:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Damarus wrote:
> It has been running at 1280 x 1024 all the time and I've tried
> adjusting the refresh rate.
>
> I'm using cleartype tuning power toy but I still can't seem to get
> the text any clearer.

What's your GFX card set too?
Mon 30/05/05 at 01:47
Regular
"bing bang bong"
You could try sourcing a different monitor cable. I bought an extended monitor cable once (5m or so) - when I plugged it into my 21" screen running at 1600x1200, the drop in picture quality was scarcely believable. There's also a chance that either end of the cable is not securely fastened, but I'm sure you've tried this :0(
Mon 30/05/05 at 01:37
Regular
It's actually much easier to read without clear type on but the text is very pixelated.
Mon 30/05/05 at 01:34
Regular
It has been running at 1280 x 1024 all the time and I've tried adjusting the refresh rate.

I'm using cleartype tuning power toy but I still can't seem to get the text any clearer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.