GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TFT. Good???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/05/05 at 19:56
Regular
I bought a 19" TFT the other day to replace an old cheap 19" CRT and I'm not really impressed.

It's an [URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=86812[/URL]

The text quality is poor and even with windows smoothing it makes it blured and unreadable in places.

In games you can actually see the pixels in some cases and again, the text looks very poor (especially WoW).

Is this just this monitor or do TFT's in general look grainy?

I like the fact it has no reflections and it is true 19" as well as the obvious size of the thing, however other than that I don't really like it.

I think I'll be swapping it for a new flat screen CRT.
Sun 29/05/05 at 19:56
Regular
I bought a 19" TFT the other day to replace an old cheap 19" CRT and I'm not really impressed.

It's an [URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=86812[/URL]

The text quality is poor and even with windows smoothing it makes it blured and unreadable in places.

In games you can actually see the pixels in some cases and again, the text looks very poor (especially WoW).

Is this just this monitor or do TFT's in general look grainy?

I like the fact it has no reflections and it is true 19" as well as the obvious size of the thing, however other than that I don't really like it.

I think I'll be swapping it for a new flat screen CRT.
Sun 29/05/05 at 20:01
Regular
"Pwned"
I don't really know, as I don't have a TFT but I expect it's just that screen as it only costs £210, which is very cheep for TFT screens.
Sun 29/05/05 at 20:04
Regular
Try £247...

Was £300 a couple of weeks ago.
Sun 29/05/05 at 21:09
Regular
"Pwned"
:-0 Sorry, my mistake. Still pretty cheap though for a 19" TFT.
Sun 29/05/05 at 22:19
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Re you running everything in the TFT's native resolution? If you TFT goes as high as say 1280x1024, then you need to run everything at this resolution as you have to remember that TFT are pixel to pixel, so if you run 800x600 on a native screen of 1280x1024, it uses 4 pixels to render a single one (hope that made sense)

There's also a plug-in availablr from Microsoft for setting the clear-type correctly too which will make a huge difference.

Running in DVI instead of RGB makes a huge difference too.

I've been using a TFT for over 3 years and wouldn't go back to CRT at all. My current pair cost me £800 back then and where concidered on of the best atthe time. You can now pick them up for less that £140 if you look about.
Sun 29/05/05 at 22:49
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> Running in DVI instead of RGB makes a huge difference too.

Explain.
Sun 29/05/05 at 23:58
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Damarus wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
>
> Explain.

Well TFTs display everything digitally, as opposed to using an analogue signal as with CRTs. When using the normal RGB VGA connection, information is transmitted as an analogue signal and the monitor has to "digitise" this can be inaccurate and lead to a degraded picture. Using the DVI port means that the information is sent form your graphics card as a digital signal ready to be mapped onto screen without further processing, hence a very clear picture.

However I have just seen that your monutor does not have a DVI input, so this is irrelevant. As Tyla said below, the resolution is critical when it comes to TFT screens as well as the refresh rate. For instance mine looks blurry when I run it at 1280x1024 at any other refresh rate other than 75Hz. Check the manual/box for the correct refresh rate and keep it at 1280x1024. Work with it, that TFT should be excellent.
Mon 30/05/05 at 01:23
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Damarus wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
>
> Explain.

It doesn't if you have a good quality cable (the one supplied with the monitor should be good enough). Nevertheless, the problem is that you're almost certainly not running in the monitor's native resolution. TFT displays look appalling when running in anything other than their native resolution. Set your desktop resolution to 1280x1024 and the change in clarity will likely take your head clean off.
Mon 30/05/05 at 01:34
Regular
It has been running at 1280 x 1024 all the time and I've tried adjusting the refresh rate.

I'm using cleartype tuning power toy but I still can't seem to get the text any clearer.
Mon 30/05/05 at 01:37
Regular
It's actually much easier to read without clear type on but the text is very pixelated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.