GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why is my computer soooo slow :("

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/05/05 at 22:04
It's horrible

1024mb Ram
2.53gHz processor

And it jerks while playing a song, or when moving my mouse across the screen.

Any ideas?

I've
- run a virus scan
- run an ad scan
- defragmented it
Fri 27/05/05 at 11:38
My Secondary IDE Channel Device 1 is set to Current Transfer Mode - Not Applicable.

Apart from that they are all set to DMA.

Is this a problem?
Fri 27/05/05 at 10:03
Regular
"bing bang bong"
This is true, ad-aware and spybot are largely equivalent in performance.

To the original poster, it's possible that your hard disks have dropped out of DMA mode. Try a couple of things whilst playing an mp3:

Note, if you have SATA hard drives then disregard this paragraph
Firstly right-click on My Computer and select Manage. In the window that appears select Device Manager in the left pane, then in the right pane click on the + symbol next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand its options. Right-click on Primary IDE Channel, and select Properties. In the dialog that appears go to the Advanced Settings tab. Look at the Transfer Mode drop down menu for both Device 0 and Device 1. Are they both set to DMA if available? If not, set them. Now look at the Current Transfer Mode for each device. Are they both running in some form of DMA mode? (if the listed mode is Not Applicable, that means there's no device in that slot which is perfectly okay). Cancel that dialog, then right-click -> properties on the Secondary IDE Channel and repeat the process. If any of your devices are running with a Current Transfer Mode set to some form of PIO rather than DMA, then that is the likely cause of your stuttering - post back here if you find a PIO device.

Secondly, right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager. Select the processes tab, and in the page displayed sort by the CPU column. What programs (look in the Image Name column) are consistently getting high numbers in the CPU column, if any? The number displayed along a particular row represents the percentage of the polled time that a process is using the CPU. So, for example, if winamp.exe is consistently getting a CPU value in excess of 90 whilst playing an mp3, that means it is chewing up all the CPU time for whatever reason.
Fri 27/05/05 at 06:12
Regular
"8==="
Exactly
Fri 27/05/05 at 03:10
Both detect objects and trackers that the other can't. So there really isn't a "winner".
Fri 27/05/05 at 03:02
Regular
"Bicycle"
koo koo ca choo wrote:
> Coin wrote:
> Adaware kicks SS.
>
> INCORRECT

Sorry, you seemed to have added an "in" to the word you were looking for.

Obviously, you meant correct.
Fri 27/05/05 at 01:00
Yes, thankye
Fri 27/05/05 at 00:56
Maybe... but the entries deleted can be backed up beforehand and restored with one click. And no guarantees, but surely worth a try? Beats a full reinstall.
Fri 27/05/05 at 00:49
Will it ruin any old programs?

And will it definitely speed it up?
Fri 27/05/05 at 00:47
Invalid registry entries.
Fri 27/05/05 at 00:46
What will it clear?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.