GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"sXe - Straight Edge"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/05/05 at 19:23
Regular
"bot"
Let's go straight edge guys.
I've already drawn the X on the back of my hand.

[URL]http://sxe.com[/URL]

"X For myself For my friends For my family FOREVER X"
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:45
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
gerrid wrote:
> It was just the claims that you weren't edge if you didn't buy all the
> merchandise that provoked my cynicism. To me that seems like people
> taking advantage of the youth's desire to find their identity in
> order to make some bucks.

To be fair, if no-one sells anything no-one can put out records, run sites, make clothes... whatever.

It's not big corporations marketing stuff to these kids, it's sXe kids selling sXe gear to other sXe kids. How you gonna keep the scene alive otherwise? Big record companies aren't interested.

The fact is that, after a promising start, the straight edge scene became a joke. It's full of aggressive, narrow-minded, hypocritcal morons. I'd rather spend an evening with Michael Howard than a straight-edger.

There are loads of very good reasons to dislike and find the sXe scene ridiculous. Just not the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. It is a genuine youth movement, not a marketing ploy. And it is a long-standing part of the hardcore community. It just happens that it's grown into a rather silly and objectionable one.
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:18
Regular
"SOUP!"
loki wrote:

> No. There are fashions and movements in any music scene. Straight
> Edge is not the name of everyone who doesn't drink. It's a coalition
> of hardcore punk kids, who feel that way. And dress a certain way.

But they're all different and original right?

Been there, mocked that sub culture, bought the Tshirt and/or merchandise.
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:18
Regular
"SOUP!"
gerrid wrote:
> The guys on the message board take it way too seriously.
>
> One guy was complaining that "real edge" guys beat up
> "fashionXscene" guys because they're not "true".
> They're all so caught up in something that isn't really there - It
> just seems to be a label they use to make themselves feel exclusive.
> If you enjoy the music and want to support the bands fine, but I
> don't understand this whole "straightXedge hardcore only"
> attitude.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:17
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It was just the claims that you weren't edge if you didn't buy all the merchandise that provoked my cynicism. To me that seems like people taking advantage of the youth's desire to find their identity in order to make some bucks.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:58
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
gerrid wrote:
> The guys on the message board take it way too seriously.
>
> One guy was complaining that "real edge" guys beat up
> "fashionXscene" guys because they're not "true".
> They're all so caught up in something that isn't really there - It
> just seems to be a label they use to make themselves feel exclusive.
> If you enjoy the music and want to support the bands fine, but I
> don't understand this whole "straightXedge hardcore only"
> attitude.

Exactly. People take it too far, it becomes cliquey and silly. But that happens with every youth movement. Be it mods, goths, new wavers... whatever.

Yes, the scene's got its fair share of idiots. But I was only objecting the the criticisms of it like it was some cynical marketing ploy when it's actually a long-standing community with a strong DIY ethic.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:54
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Paradox: wrote:
> I know plenty of people who don't do drugs/etc - doesn't mean they
> should listen to a certain type of music.
>
> The "straight edge" thing is a lifestyle, not a music
> culture - that's just tubefed propaganda.

No. There are fashions and movements in any music scene. Straight Edge is not the name of everyone who doesn't drink. It's a coalition of hardcore punk kids, who feel that way. And dress a certain way.

My aunt doesn't drink or smoke, that doesn't mean she's sXe. It's not people who don't do drugs etc. It's a movement in the punk scene that don't do drugs etc. and identify with a certain genre and aesthetic. It's a scene and a community.

The name 'Straight Edge' came from a Minor Threat song. A hardcore song. Straight Edge bands predominantly play harcore. How can you divorce the two?
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:50
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The guys on the message board take it way too seriously.

One guy was complaining that "real edge" guys beat up "fashionXscene" guys because they're not "true". They're all so caught up in something that isn't really there - It just seems to be a label they use to make themselves feel exclusive. If you enjoy the music and want to support the bands fine, but I don't understand this whole "straightXedge hardcore only" attitude.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:48
Regular
"SOUP!"
Moral principles and commercial music companies should be seperate entities.

I know plenty of people who don't do drugs/etc - doesn't mean they should listen to a certain type of music.

The "straight edge" thing is a lifestyle, not a music culture - that's just tubefed propaganda.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:47
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
gerrid wrote:
> Oh right but on initial inspection it does seem suspiciously like an
> advertising network: "any advertisers who want to reach 10,000
> people email-me" for instance.

Yeah, true enough. Advertising sucks, but we've all got to eat. I'm not pimping Xbox games for the hell of it y'know ;)
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Oh right but on initial inspection it does seem suspiciously like an advertising network: "any advertisers who want to reach 10,000 people email-me" for instance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.