GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A question about good table manners"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/05/05 at 20:43
Regular
"0228"
Hopefully some of you will be able to settle this dispute.

So, my parents and I are sitting at the table eating dinner, I finish mine and then my mum says that if I want to I can leave the table and wash my plate. I get up to do so but then my dad makes one of those annoying forced coughs.

I say 'What?' and he replies by saying that I have poor table manners. This confused me so I asked why and then he said that I should ask to be excused before leaving. However, I responded by saying that there is no need to ask to be excused if you've already been told you can leave. He says I'm wrong. I ask him to explain why I need to do so and then he simply sighs and says 'Yes, you're right you're always right aren't you?' in an extremely sarcastic tone. I tell him that he's replying like this because he doesn't have a reason and then he just continues being sarcastic, causing me to just leave anyway.

The way I see it, why would anybody be expected to ask to leave the table once they've been already told to do so? It seems ignorant to ask a question that you've just been given the answer to and not only that but I think it makes you come across as a bit retarded. So who's right, me, my parents, or does nobody know? And if I'm wrong, then surely that rule should be changed, it makes no sense.
Sat 07/05/05 at 23:03
"period drama"
Your dad is a man-ho.
Sat 07/05/05 at 22:52
Regular
"Monochromatic"
JFH wrote:
> My mum brings out some food usually a really odd mix that will taste
> like crap, today for eaxample was pasta, bolognaise sauce, broccolli,
> and carrots. Everybody complains and then she says 'I don't know why I
> bother cooking for this family' and then I say 'No, nor do I' and then
> I just get told to shut up and eat.

Bad JFH, she should make you cook your own after giving you a swift kick in the teeth.

> My little brother will then more than likely attack me, I'll attack
> him, we'll get shouted at.

How old are you?

> Conversation will consist of my parents moaning about something or
> other and my mum giving us some random statistics she's read in the
> Daily Mail. I will usually either just keep out of it or laugh as my
> brothers make odd sounds.

I think the answer is to become a teenager, retreat to your room with your plate and keep out of everyones way.

> My dad will then burp, I will make a big thing out of him not saying
> pardon me, he will then deny burping and my mum will defend him. I
> get annoyed and then get blamed for ruining the meal.

See above, been through all this crap myself and still am to an exstent.
Sat 07/05/05 at 22:46
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I say YO MAW, WHARS MA CHICKEN NUGGAAATS? ULL TELL YAE WHEN UM EXCAESED DA
Sat 07/05/05 at 22:31
Regular
"Monochromatic"
All sounds very very familiar, you're in the right there is absolutely no need for you to ask when you've been told you can leave so tell your dad to shut his big fat cakehole!
Sat 07/05/05 at 22:15
Regular
JFH if you were my son, I would have beaten you to an inch of your life and then took a dump on your plate and made you eat it.
You should be greatful that you actually have dinner - think of all those starving Iraqis that have to eat bullets and shrapnel.
Sat 07/05/05 at 22:09
Regular
"Gamertag = Chavex"
I know what bad table manners is!
When somone leans away from you and lets rip!!aarrggghhh!!
How do I stop somone doing this??? lol :)
Sat 07/05/05 at 22:09
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ahahaha, asking to be excused.

Mirth.
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:37
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
Even though you were told to leave the table, it is always good etiquette to ask politely to leave the table just when you are tidying up your plate, t'is a little difficult to explain but it is always expected that you ask for permission, so it looks like you don't just take it - therefore being on the safe side. If you were told already, then you must be sure it isn't a test to see if you will ask politely for the permission without just taking it. If you understand all that - you're smarter than most people in my class. Just to add to that - I go to a grammer school ;D .
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:28
Regular
"0228"
Very true. I make this point but my mum always sticks up for him so I just give up most of the time.
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:23
Regular
"lets go back"
JFH wrote:
>
> My dad will then burp, I will make a big thing out of him not saying
> pardon me, he will then deny burping and my mum will defend him. I
> get annoyed and then get blamed for ruining the meal.

So he burps then complains about you leaving the table? A tad hypocritical.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.