GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Physics"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/05/01 at 13:39
Regular
Did any one see Games Lab on Tuesday on .TV? It was all about physics in computers. It was discussing the PS2 a little. The bloke said that the PS2 is very powerful, which we know and is capable of using advanced physics for games. What this means is that the game will actually behave like they do in real life. Driving games will have the same physics that real driving has. Before games did have physics but basically they had to be simplfied down to actually run them. The bloke was impressed with the PS2 as he said that its like havinga supercomputer on top of your TV. He said within the next year the games we play will have physics that havent been seen before.

F1 2001 is so much more realistic than any PS1 F1 game. GT3 uses some advanced Physics but not as much as is possiable. Thats why games like Redfaction can use the Geomod as the PS2 can handle the Physics, pretty easily.
Sun 24/06/01 at 13:33
Regular
red faction is ace i won the first battle with capek
Wed 20/06/01 at 12:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Most of the physics of what happens when objects collide, crash, get blown around is created seperatley by another company. It makes the gaming engine which gets distributed to all the game developers, this saves the developers alot of time as the code is already written for them. I think Havok did alot of this for the PS2 and X-Box. If you go to the havok webpage you can download vids to show some real situations made into software and the physics behind it. The poker simulation is really good.
Mon 28/05/01 at 23:54
Regular
It was actually comedy genius
Mon 28/05/01 at 23:51
Regular
After Bonus's studious post, turbonutters post was a definite LOL

Its under the Tv, ontop of the DVD player. There's an Ikea 'lack' coffee table in between the two.
Sat 26/05/01 at 22:55
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mine is under my Tv in my room. As my Tv is 28in it come swith the cabinet to put a video player e.t.c in there. So my PS2 is in there. My DC use to be in there till it got put on my unit next to my Tv.
Sat 26/05/01 at 21:23
Yeah! That's an idea - "Who has their PS2 where?"

I have my PS2 in a very wierd place. It's in my room, and my TV is on a table (about the height of 3 vertical PS2s) and there is a smaller Hi-Fi stand-type-thingy with my horizontal PS2 on it. There, now you know. =¬)
Fri 25/05/01 at 12:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Good luck with the course. I wish a Uni round here did a course like that. Instead iam opting for a computing degree. So I will hopefully be doing some programming. I should easily get the points to get in. With Abertay I would have got the points I thought I wouldnt go. I kind of wish I was going as it should be an ace course.
Fri 25/05/01 at 10:23
Regular
Yep, Abertay.
Thu 24/05/01 at 22:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
You doing that one at Aber something Dundee? I was going to do that, I got offered it but I live too far away and I thought I wouldnt. The first year is really a lot of maths and I can find maths a little hard sometimes. Even though Iam doing Pure and Mechanics at A-Level.
Thu 24/05/01 at 18:17
Regular
This is true, what gets to me is the fact that I know all about this stuff but because I don't have a bit of paper to prove it, it would be nigh on impossible to get a job doing it. It wont bother me soon though, i'm about to start a degree in computer games technology!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.