GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I want a PS2 but is it worth 300 quid?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/05/01 at 20:25
Regular
I have wanted a PS2 ever sinse my m8 got one and I layed eyes on it`s amazing graphics! But then the price is 300 quid and I just want to know if I should get one yet or wait for the price to drop?
Sat 26/05/01 at 00:34
Thank you for your oppinions on wheather I should get one or not.I am going to wait for the price to drop.
Thu 24/05/01 at 17:33
Dan2K1 wrote:
> No, wait till August - it'll be £200

Definitely, hold out for a couple of months longer you'll only kick yourself if you spend £300 now and then it drops in price with the impending arrival of the X-box and GameCube. Alternatively enter every competition that you can find that offers one as a prize, it will taste all the sweeter if you haven't paid a penny for it.
Thu 24/05/01 at 17:33
Dan2K1 wrote:
> No, wait till August - it'll be £200

Definitely, hold out for a couple of months longer you'll only kick yourself if you spend £300 now and then it drops in price with the impending arrival of the X-box and GameCube. Alternatively enter every competition that you can find that offers one as a prize, it will taste all the sweeter if you haven't paid a penny for it.
Thu 24/05/01 at 17:04
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I've only been on this forum for about 2 weeks and was really enjoying the postings, made sure I read as many as I could before I plucked up courage to post my 1st message.

I was getting to know peoples way of thinking and then Timone came along and really spoilt everything, I for one am glad he's gone, there really is no need to swear at anyone, if you wanna do that then goto another forum.

As for the price of the PS2, I'd say yep go out and buy one for £300 as it's definitely worth it.

If your worried about the price of games, I'd try renting them from your video retail shop and take it from there.

Go get one, you know ya wanna! :-)
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:17
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
humpo wrote:
> sorry to change the subject , but if timone is banned...why can we
> still read his/her posts. just greying the text does not seem like a
> fitting punishment

I think his punishment is that he can not post on SR anymore...
Wed 23/05/01 at 19:10
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
Ya can tell by the posts at the bottom he is bad news. Mouthin off mattyboy. Not swearin but his attitude was not needed.
Wed 23/05/01 at 18:30
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
sorry to change the subject , but if timone is banned...why can we still read his/her posts. just greying the text does not seem like a fitting punishment
Wed 23/05/01 at 18:20
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Yeah, try to wait until August, if you can...
Wed 23/05/01 at 16:27
No, wait till August - it'll be £200
Wed 23/05/01 at 16:04
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
“Is the Playstation 2 worth £300?”

People, everywhere seem to love this question.

To be honest with you, there isn’t a right or wrong answer. What I mean by this is people have different opinions. I have had my PS2 since Christmas now, and although it was a load of money, I have not been disappointed with it. However, that is because I didn’t mind the PS2 being able to play DVD films and music CD’s.

Many people have argued about the DVD player being good/rubbish, but at the end of the day…do we need the DVD player for a games console? It is not necessary and I am sure that if it didn’t have DVD playback, the price would be much cheaper indeed.

Maybe I’m just getting old (at 14?) but I don’t like all the fuss over game consoles being able to play more than games. I wish we could go back to the days where the Mega Drive was alive and kicking! Now that was a great console, and loved by thousands! Now, the reason why it was loved wasn’t because it could play films or CD’s on it, but because it only played games, and good ones at that. If the MD was released in today’s gaming world with the facility to play films and music, the price would be much higher, and many people would buy the console, not to play games but to play films on it. To me, this is a very worrying thought because I believe that there are so many people that are buying games consoles just to play films and music on there.

So, what the situation is…well basically we are having non-gamers buying the PlayStation2 because it has the ability to play DVD films and music CD’s and at a good price (or not). This is leaving the TRUE gamers not being able to afford it and therefor not getting a PlayStation2. This not only affects us, the gamers, but also Sony. I can’t remember the figures, but in Japan, surveys show that there are more people buying PS2’s for the DVD player more than the games. This also led to software (games) sales going down due to people not wanting games.

In a way I agree with people when they say that the PS2 is just a sequel to the PS1, only because it can play PSX games though. Not for quality in games. I am not sure if being PSX compatible effects the price or not, but if it does…and you don’t have any PS1 games…you are wasting some more money.

Now, you have to worry about PS2’s opposition. The GameCube. It is famous because it ONLY plays games, and not DVD movies, meaning the price will be much cheaper that the PS2’s.

I really do hope that the PS2 will survive the launch of the GameCube and the X-Box because I don’t know if I can live without my PS2. I am really grateful to Sony for blessing me with the PS2. Some Playstation 2 owners are disappointed with their machine, and I can slightly understand this. Most peoples reasons are that there aren’t to many games out for the moment, which is true, but give it time, and you will be pleasantly surprised.

There are some people who are a little doubtful for the PS2’s future but don’t be put off by people saying that the PS3 will be out soon, and Sony will dump the Ps2 to work on the PS3 because that is a load of rubbish. Yes, there may well be a PS3 one day, but it will not be in the near future, and if you do want to wait another 4-5-6-7-8 or however many years for the PS3, so be it but I would advise you to purchase a PS2 right away.
I am very pleased that I bought the PS2, and I am sure that I have made the right decision in buying it. I am pleased with everything to do with the PS2, apart from the lack of games at the moment, but I am not too annoyed because I know that there are plenty of games in the making for it.

So, it really depends in what way you are looking at the situation.

If you have a DVD player, CD player, and a PS1, I really don’t think that £300 is worth it.

If you have not got a DVD player, and sold your PS1, then the price will be worth it. If you are still put of the PS2 because of the price, just wait a little while because there is bound to be a price drop.

I hope I have been of some help, good luck with your decision.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.