GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/11/04 at 21:44
Regular
Hello there.

I'm interested in selling my Xbox, in exchange for something new and probably cheaper.

I'm a little unsure about this "Nintendo DS" lark however; is it the next step up from the GBA or what? Or is it some sort of 'novelty extra' like the GBASP was when that was released?

Yes, I should be crawling google, but to be honest, you guys know your stuff and it'd be a great help to understand what this DS thing is.

I guess I've been kind of out of touch with this whole gaming thing, but I've only really heard a few snippets of information about this DS lark; no one seems to be making a big deal out of it.
Mon 22/11/04 at 21:44
Regular
Hello there.

I'm interested in selling my Xbox, in exchange for something new and probably cheaper.

I'm a little unsure about this "Nintendo DS" lark however; is it the next step up from the GBA or what? Or is it some sort of 'novelty extra' like the GBASP was when that was released?

Yes, I should be crawling google, but to be honest, you guys know your stuff and it'd be a great help to understand what this DS thing is.

I guess I've been kind of out of touch with this whole gaming thing, but I've only really heard a few snippets of information about this DS lark; no one seems to be making a big deal out of it.
Mon 22/11/04 at 21:52
"period drama"
No-one seems to be making a big deal out of it!?
Dear dear - this, my boy, is a very big deal.

Officially, the DS is something completely different than the GBA (and there will be a GBA2 at one point) although, seeing as it plays GBA games .... you know, it may as well take over from GBA anyway.
But let's not get into that.

It's gonna rule.
The two-screens isn't the amazing thing - it's that the bottom screen is a touch-screen as well as a display. You can think how this totally opens up a whole load of new stuff in games - from drawing things, cutting things etc etc, as well as total analogue control with this thump-strap thinger, and potentially infinite control-setups.

And I just made it sound really crap.
But it isn't.

rool
Mon 22/11/04 at 21:52
Regular
It's a portable with N64+ power.
It has two screens, one of them is a touch screen.
It has all the quirks of the SP, the rechargable battery and the backlit screen, and it also has wireless connectivity.

It comes with a Metroid demo and a program called sketchboard, which is basically a touchscreen chat thingamy.
One of the launch games is a 4 player remake of Super Mario 64.

I'd say that it's fantastic in every way, although the lack of an analogue stick is a drawback for 3D games.
However, some games allow you to use the supplied thumbstrap to make a pseudo analogue stick using the touchscreen.
It apparently takes a little getting used to, and still isn't quite as good as the real thing but more than adaquette.

As flaws go I'd say I've seen worse. :-)
Mon 22/11/04 at 21:54
"period drama"
Graphics etc wise - it's got Mario 64 as one of the launch titles, with much improves graphical and sound quality than the original, so there's some kind of comparison for you.

Imagine games like Wario Ware and Harvest Moon with the touch-scrren.
Mon 22/11/04 at 21:56
Regular
Erm the Nintendo DS is a new handheld from Nintendo seperate from the Gameboy franchise. It uses dual screen/touch screen/microphone/wireless technology for the games with the dual screen and touch screen being used to 'revolutionise' games.

It does play old GBA games but does not allow you to link together for multiplayer or link to the Gamecube. It also doesn't play GBC or GB games.

The graphics are slightly superior to the N64, one screen can do full 3D whilst the other provides a 2D menu/map or other such feature (there are more innovative ones). The games that are particulary interesting include Super Mario 64 DS, on paper a port of the classic Mario 64 but in reality a brand new game that features Yoshi, Wario, Mario and Luigi... all with different abilities all trying to defeat bowser. The game is controlled via the touch screen and their are 30 extra stars to find and touch screen mini-games to play.

The console has two ports one for the GBA and one for the new DS carts. Another game that is interesting is the touch screen Wario Ware and Metroid Prime: Hunters, a wireless multiplayer specific game that is also controlled via the touch screen which is apparently similar to the point and click FPS' that you find on the PC

Will that do?
Mon 22/11/04 at 21:56
"period drama"
Ah yes, the wireless connection also rules - the normal one has a range of something like 100 yards, but you can go world-wide if you're near a wireless internet source.

So, eventually, 16-player Mario Kart will eat your life.
Mon 22/11/04 at 22:08
Regular
30 player races on F-Zero X?

With a track editor and a spaceship creator...
I wonder if they're planning anything...
Mon 22/11/04 at 22:40
Regular
Hmmm sounds pretty cool!

Cheers for the information.

But I can't help but feel it'll just be a 'one off' thing, you know, they'll make a few games for it and it'll then become defunct. Like the Sega Game Gear, was all good and everything, but failed pretty badly.

I'm a bit unsure as to the whole "separate from the GBA franchise" thing, it kind of makes the DS, again, sound like some sort of 'extra console on the side' from Nintendo, make a few games for it then nothing more.

Maybe I'm not getting things here, but it just sounds a bit like a cash in if you ask me.

No linkup? No GC linkup? Hmmmm.....

Oh I dunno.
Mon 22/11/04 at 23:03
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
The Game Gear wasn't a massive flop, was it? I still have mine, it's a good machine if a little chunky.
Mon 22/11/04 at 23:04
Regular
OK maybe I phrased that badly, but come on; it was out for like say, a year, a few games got released, then everything stopped.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.