GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"P4 Temperature and Cooling"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/11/04 at 15:34
Regular
"who wrote that?"
Just got my P4 3.2 Prescott and Abit IC7-G working and am worried as my old AMD 2.6 used to run a 50oC and never had and problems the new prescott is running at 60oC and am worring if this is running to hot. As when running the abit fan settings it was testing the fan and the chip overheated and shut down, it is still working fine but very hot.

I know the new Prescott runs hot but though it should run fine as have not overclocked it and am using the intel heatsink and fan. I also have one 80mm fan taking hot air out of the pc case. would the p4 run ok at 60oC or is this dangerously high.

Any recommendation would be great, cheers
Wed 17/11/04 at 23:45
Regular
"who wrote that?"
have just got it set up, the instructions are well short and missing important information about the fan power. but anyway case is now running about 22.5oC - 24oC and the CPU is running at 40-45oC and i am happy with that. thanks for all your advice
Wed 17/11/04 at 18:12
"I love yo... lamp."
That sounds about right oasismark, considering you use the stock cooler (I think anyway) which isn't going to be as good as a third party one.
Wed 17/11/04 at 12:28
Regular
"who wrote that?"
when i check last night again it was CPU 62oC and Case 53oC have just bought the case that i mentioned before just got to rebuild. cheers for all your suggestions everyone.
Wed 17/11/04 at 08:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The CPU temperature is relative to the case temperature. For example, on my XP3200 at work is a standard AMD heatsink and fan. The case runs at 21c, basically room temperature, because it's one of those massive Chieftec Dragons. However, the CPU is at about 50c (it runs SETI). This means that with a stock AMD HSF, you get about +30c on the case temp. So, if your case temperature is ~55, that means your CPU will be running around 85c! This is above spec for an AMD CPU these days.
Tue 16/11/04 at 21:29
"I love yo... lamp."
tigamilla wrote:
> klasovdan_1 wrote:
> the temperature inside my case is 45oC
>
> Thats WAAAAY too high, good case temparatures are around 30-32C.

That's still too high! At night mine are 22-23C.
Tue 16/11/04 at 20:55
Regular
"who wrote that?"
so that case should be able to keep the temp down so what is a good temperature for the cpu to be running at and can if be done with the standard intel HSF.
Tue 16/11/04 at 20:28
My P4 used to run at 60C.
Tue 16/11/04 at 20:25
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hmmm...

I use(d) a Coolermaster Aero 7.

Ran at 54 or so.

Still, ten degrees difference is big.

As in notoriously.
Tue 16/11/04 at 20:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Heh I remember when my case was high 50's, because all my components were directly cooled with external air.
Tue 16/11/04 at 20:02
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
klasovdan_1 wrote:
> the temperature inside my case is 45oC

Thats WAAAAY too high, good case temparatures are around 30-32C.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.