GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"P4 Temperature and Cooling"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/11/04 at 15:34
Regular
"who wrote that?"
Just got my P4 3.2 Prescott and Abit IC7-G working and am worried as my old AMD 2.6 used to run a 50oC and never had and problems the new prescott is running at 60oC and am worring if this is running to hot. As when running the abit fan settings it was testing the fan and the chip overheated and shut down, it is still working fine but very hot.

I know the new Prescott runs hot but though it should run fine as have not overclocked it and am using the intel heatsink and fan. I also have one 80mm fan taking hot air out of the pc case. would the p4 run ok at 60oC or is this dangerously high.

Any recommendation would be great, cheers
Tue 16/11/04 at 15:34
Regular
"who wrote that?"
Just got my P4 3.2 Prescott and Abit IC7-G working and am worried as my old AMD 2.6 used to run a 50oC and never had and problems the new prescott is running at 60oC and am worring if this is running to hot. As when running the abit fan settings it was testing the fan and the chip overheated and shut down, it is still working fine but very hot.

I know the new Prescott runs hot but though it should run fine as have not overclocked it and am using the intel heatsink and fan. I also have one 80mm fan taking hot air out of the pc case. would the p4 run ok at 60oC or is this dangerously high.

Any recommendation would be great, cheers
Tue 16/11/04 at 16:28
Regular
"serenity now!"
Is it 60C idle or under load? If it's idle, that does seem a little too high, even for a Prescott.

If you used the standard thermal pad on your heatsink, consider scraping it off, re-polishing the heatsink and use a more effective heat conducter - something like Arctic Silver 5. While you're there, make sure your heatsink is seated correctly.
Tue 16/11/04 at 16:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
klasovdan_1 wrote:
> I also have one 80mm fan taking hot air out of the pc case

In total?!? If you only have 1 i would recommend you install a few more, whilst 60°C isnt the end of the world, you could start to see instability if you hit the 70°C region.
Tue 16/11/04 at 16:52
Regular
"who wrote that?"
It is 60oC when idle and has been rising to about 66 when on games. have used artic silver on the processor and think it has been correctly applied. Should i consider purchasing a new heatsink and fan for it
Tue 16/11/04 at 16:58
Regular
"serenity now!"
Look at CM's idea. At least another intake fan and maybe another extracting, especially if you have a powerful (ie hot) graphics card. If the air inside your case is too hot a new HSF won't do a great deal.

Plus a fan is a lot cheaper ;)
Tue 16/11/04 at 16:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ive heard great things about the Asus star ice, so it's either that or a Thermalright.

You need more case fans though.
Tue 16/11/04 at 17:01
Regular
"who wrote that?"
need to get a new case, current case is quite old and only has one 92mm fan space in it. how hot can it go without damaging the cpu permenantly
Tue 16/11/04 at 17:03
Regular
"who wrote that?"
got a 9800 pro
Tue 16/11/04 at 17:10
Regular
"serenity now!"
I think, but not sure, the Pentium 4 has thermal throttling. That is, when it gets too hot, it automatically reduces the clock speed so it doesn't overheat.

So really you shouldn't be able to do any permanent damage to your CPU, but the performance of your system might suffer.

edit: you also have an 80mm fan in a 92mm fan space? If that's not a typo, upgrading to a 92mm fan will help shift a bit more air out of the case (and be quieter too).
Tue 16/11/04 at 17:53
"I love yo... lamp."
The P4 does have thermal throttling. Most motherboards will also just cause a shutdown above a certain temperature anyway. Bear in mind damage point is normally above 85 degrees, so you aren't in imminent danger.

Case fans, case fans, case fans. That's the only answer really. You can pick up 80 mm fans from as little as 47 pence. I bought over a dozen at that time. Also, short term, before you buy anything, turn the fan around, so it blows air into the case rather than out. It should make a slight difference, which at the moment is better than nothing.

Ideally have several fans, blowing equal amounts of air in and out of the case. If that is difficult to achieve, have it in favour of positive air pressure, i.e. more air blowing in than out. Negative airflow (more air blowing out than in) is marginally worse you see.

I too have heard good things about the Asus Star Ice, but I'm not going to risk that much weight on my motherboard. Thermalright XP series, whilst huge, is light weight, and an excellent performer.

Bottom line though is that poor airflow is killing you here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.