GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"mario kart doube dash?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario Kart Double Dash'.
Sun 26/12/04 at 20:23
Regular
"kill my enemys"
what is with it? i got it couple of weeks ago and what is with the big thing when it came out? yes the multiplayer is good but single player isnt very long and its a bit simple! what do you think about it?
Thu 30/12/04 at 22:33
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Edgy wrote:
> Frustration and challenge are seperate. Yes.
>
> But challenging the frustrating elements can be enjoyable.
>
> Except in Tomb Raider's case...it was poor.

It can be enjoyable, but if the frustrating elements are too challenging then it can make you even more frustrated. Maybe its all a master plan to make you throw your Pads at the wall so you have to buy more. Just a thought.
Thu 30/12/04 at 22:29
Regular
Frustration and challenge are seperate. Yes.

But challenging the frustrating elements can be enjoyable.

Except in Tomb Raider's case...it was poor.
Thu 30/12/04 at 21:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
frustration and challenge are two different things. Frustration arises rfom events that you have no control over - an AI opponent firing a blue shell at you so you die just before the finish line - it's not your fault that you lost and you couldn't do anything about it - frustration.

Challenging is when something is difficult to achieve, and if you fail, it's because of your own incapacity to complete the task, be it due to lack of dexterity, poor reactions, bad strategy, whatever.

Bad developers add in uncontrollable frustrating elements to game to make them appear more challenging, when in fact all hey do is frustrate the gamer. It happens in a lot of games, most notoriously back in Tomb Raider, where there would just be unexpected and in fact totally unpredictable traps, which you couldn't avoid because you had no way of knowing that they were there.

Mario Kart was frustrating because sometimes you would lose through no fault of your own - the computer karts were faster when they shouldn't be - you get hit by an unavoidable shell and lose - another kart knocks you off the course when you're heavier - all the other karts get faster starts than you for no apparent reason - this sort of thing is frustrating.
Thu 30/12/04 at 21:19
Regular
"Random by default"
Only ever liked three racing games, and they were the type with easy handling etc :P

The frustration i get from racing games (being in front then one mistake and your last) isnt the type that i like, yet many like it and thats why they play racing games. Its like in shooters i can keep on being killed at one certian part and i will keep going back for more enjoying the frustration it gives...whilst some people would hate it.

Personal preference i suppose.
Thu 30/12/04 at 13:10
Regular
"kill my enemys"
i see everybodys point about frustration on the game but it is very easy as i completed it in a few days.
Wed 29/12/04 at 20:43
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Edgy wrote:
> Chr1s wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> That's what I like about Mario Kart games...when you're up against
> good opponents, the races are fast paced and full of frustrating
> entertainment.
>
> Frustration isn't entertaining.
>
> You misunderstand. If there was no frustration in games, they would
> all be easy. No challenge equals a cinematic experience. Now with the
> quality of CGI films being of the standard they are today, I wouldn't
> expect to pay £30 for a CGI game where I don't have to do
> anything to win.
>
> Therefore I stand by my point.

I see your point. However, a game being a challenge is one thing, but a game that makes your blood pressure rise to dangerous levels is quite another. I enjoy being challenged. I hate easy games, but I also hate games that are ridiculously unfair, such as Mario Kart.
Wed 29/12/04 at 19:37
Regular
"thursdayton!"
The staff ghosts took a while to beat on some of the tracks though.
Wed 29/12/04 at 18:23
Regular
N64 Fan wrote:
> What I hate about MKDD is the computer cheating. Its worse than the
> N64 version and that was bad enough! Still a brilliant game though
> and the one we play on most.

Well it obviously doesn't do that good a job. It was too easy on single player mode.
Wed 29/12/04 at 18:21
Regular
Chr1s wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> That's what I like about Mario Kart games...when you're up against
> good opponents, the races are fast paced and full of frustrating
> entertainment.
>
> Frustration isn't entertaining.

You misunderstand. If there was no frustration in games, they would all be easy. No challenge equals a cinematic experience. Now with the quality of CGI films being of the standard they are today, I wouldn't expect to pay £30 for a CGI game where I don't have to do anything to win.

Therefore I stand by my point.
Wed 29/12/04 at 14:57
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
What I hate about MKDD is the computer cheating. Its worse than the N64 version and that was bad enough! Still a brilliant game though and the one we play on most.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.