GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Prepare to feel awkward"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/11/04 at 16:45
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I’m a bloke and I’m going to talk about how I feel. Ready yourselves for much manly backslapping hugs.

This is not going to be a whiney, “I feel sorry for myself and I’m so confused”, type of post. Well, ok, it may be.

You may have noticed the lack of, “my day at work”, posts from me. There is a few reasons for that. These are that I have not come home from work for months and thought, “wow, what a great day!” When I get home I just want to forget work and not give my day a second thought.

I find my days just filled with stress. Imagine all the crappiest things that happen in people’s lives, I go and deal with these. This leaves me physically and emotionally knackered. I deal on a daily basis with angry, upset and downright awkward people. I listen to all their problems and try to deal with many of them. I find that in the vast majority of cases there is little to nothing I can do for the people with genuine problems. I work 11-hour shifts and yet this is still not enough time to deal with the insane workload that I have.

The job takes a lot and gives little.

I dealt with a rape victim yesterday and didn’t get a single “well done”. Yet because I don’t issue many Guardian Awareness Program forms to youths, (something which the government are pushing), I get given a mini rollocking.

On top of the work that all officers have and get stressed over I also have the absolute nightmare that is the PDP. This is something that I have to complete to show how I’m developing as an officer. All probationers have one, but my problem is that I suck at it. My sergeant has told me I do the job well, but because I can’t evidence this in this folder I’m under immense pressure from higher up. If I can’t get this thing done, I can’t be confirmed as a Pc after my 2 years probation.

I could splurge for ages on all this crap that I have floating around in my brain at the moment, but it would come out as nothing more then a long high-pitched scream at the moment.

All I’m thinking at the moment is, if the service will keep me at the end of my 2 years, will I want to stay? I find the reasons I’m staying in the job at the moment are not the reasons I joined for in the first place.

Mur
Fri 05/11/04 at 08:13
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Damn, from an upbeat post to this one in the space of 2 minutes :(

I'm impressed by anyone who wishes to join the police in this day and age. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who actually goes ahead and joins up. I think it is one of the toughest jobs around at the moment. Between the red tape and pressure from above it is a wonder any crime gets solved at all these days.

Get your head down and get stuck into doing the PDP, ask for some help if you need to. At the end of the two years it would be a shame if you decide you do wish to stay on and take your career further, only to be told that because you don't have the PDP right that they are not keeping you on anyway. Do they actually do that? Don't they take into consideration progress reports from your bosses?

You need to keep the option open otherwise you are just wasting your time. It may well be that you wake up next week in a more optimistic mood and will start to enjoy the job again.

Ick. Can't really decide what I wish to say here.
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:31
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Can't you just exaggerate on the PDP?

"I caught the gun totting maniac all by myself using nothing more than a paper clip and a rubberband." Or stick an Ace Rimmer quote in there somewhere.
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:17
"possibly impossible"
Ah, yes, the dreaded PDP. We do those and, yes, I have the very same problem of wording my answers to provide enough evidence that I do the work I actually do.

Then again, they're getting rid of all of us next year anyway, so how can I progress?!
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:17
Regular
"SOUP!"
I chased a drug baron once.

it was a tuesday.
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:15
Regular
"tokyo police club"
My mate wants to be a Policeman. And so does my step-Brother, in fact. It seems they're both under the illusion that it's all chasing drug barrons down the M56 and stuff when it seem slike most of it is annoyingly evil.

Good luck, E_B
Thu 04/11/04 at 21:03
Regular
"SOUP!"
Every job has it's downs, it's lows and it's slumps, some of them have ups too.

Thing is, unless you suck up to the powers-that-be to an extent I cannot emcompass in mere words, presumably I'd need to do an ass-kissing motion, you will be unnoticed, unnapreciated and generally feel unworthy. Technicalities would state that you're in a job where you're 'meant' to care, and so by not being picked up and told you're doing it wrong, you're actually doing it right. If everyone has the same dramatic workload you have, then you must understand they don't have time to pat you on the back and say "Well done on another case closed, inspector Bloke".

Seriously, on a less pedantic note, you're absolutely admirable and the fact you spend your time helping people through the worse parts of life reflects on you as a person, and it's a reflection I for one admire.
Thu 04/11/04 at 20:44
Regular
Any cops drive around in Evo's on your force? Maybe thats somthing to look forward to?
Thu 04/11/04 at 20:41
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Good old bureaucracy.

There's not a lot I can think of saying other than to go with your gut feeling: if you don't want to stay at the end of your probation, then don't - it's easy for me to say that because I won't be the one looking for a job.

Have you thought about being a postman?
Thu 04/11/04 at 17:29
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
The thing that's gut-busting about the PDP is that I'm told that I can do the job and I do, but if I can't complete this thing none of that matters.
Thu 04/11/04 at 17:26
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Screw them, if they deceide you're not good enough after 2 years leave. If it doesn't suit you then tell them to naff on and sit back and relax when people call for more policemen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.