GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Camera to control Revolution - I told you"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 31/12/04 at 15:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
from igncube.com

"Earlier this week, the respected Japanese business magazine Shuukan Diamond reported in its 2005 Preview Edition that the Nintendo Revolution Controller will not feature a directional pad or A and B buttons."

No directional pad - no buttons - NINTOY CAMERA, I'm telling you. Idiots.
Sat 01/01/05 at 18:26
Regular
It'll be a telepathy device.
You use your mind to tell the character what to do.
Sat 01/01/05 at 18:32
Regular
To add on top of that the controller could change throughout the game when certain buttons are no longer needed or, in the case of an online RPG, when you're in the lobby you have a touch screen keyboard but when you enter the the game world you have a more action developed button configuartion.

The gamer, if they aren't fond of the developers lay out, could alter it themselves to suit their own hands (great for lefties) and could switch between control styles.

Lets say you want to say something in the game world. press the corner and the keyboard resurfaces.
Sat 01/01/05 at 19:23
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dringo wrote:
> Imagine a round touch screen or something, perhaps a menu screen in
> the middle. Round the side are tonnes of buttons A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I
> and not ACTUAL buttons but segments of that round touch screen.
> Essentially they are buttons but they're also not. They don't have to
> be there, the number of touchable parts depend on the game.
>
> The reason for this??? There will never be a complaint from
> developers again about buttons. If the game needs 20 buttons then
> they input 20 button presses on the touch screen. If it needs just 2
> then just the 2 are used. This gives developers complete freedom!
>
> Imagine the possibility, the controller can be custom made for each
> game!!!

That sounds absolutely terrible.
Sat 01/01/05 at 19:23
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dringo wrote:
> To add on top of that the controller could change throughout the game
> when certain buttons are no longer needed or, in the case of an
> online RPG, when you're in the lobby you have a touch screen keyboard
> but when you enter the the game world you have a more action
> developed button configuartion.

And that would just make everything needlessly complicated.
Sat 01/01/05 at 20:22
"period drama"
munn wrote:
> It'll be a telepathy device.
> You use your mind to tell the character what to do.

But if the game contained a rather nice lady in it from the start, you'd never play any further.

And Dringo: no, terrible idea. Boohissboo.

I was thinking of something akin to the N64's C-Buttons being replaced with the C-Stick. With all the buttons. Which would be a) pointless b) harder to use c) impossible to press 2 buttons at once and d) look crap.

It has to happen, then.
Sat 01/01/05 at 20:33
Regular
Why would that be complicated, that'd be a great idea, I bet they do it.
Sat 01/01/05 at 20:51
Regular
Fine, no telepathy device.
How about, a control pad that doesn't actually exist.
You "hold" it in your hands, and push the "buttons" and the infrared scanner (not the camera, that would confuse it) picks up the movement and enters the command onscreen.
Sat 01/01/05 at 21:41
Regular
I dont know any of you but I dont think nintendo will be doing anything like camera control or telepathy,or anything with a camera for that matter. If they do that it will increase production costs and in turn increase the overall price of the system. Nintendo stated the system won't be expensive. Now consider other facts like the nintendo DS I mean why would nintendo release it then talk about the nintendo's revolution so soon? And since the DS isn't going to be used with the nintendo gamecube it might be used for the revolution in someway. Nintendo also has entered the movie business. Within a year you might be seeing a movie from nintendo in the theaters, but the movies nintendo are releasing arn't only going to be normal movies these movies interact with the nintendo DS with its wireless capabilities there first movie is of course about pokemon. I mean why would nintendo release the DS,revolution, and movies all within a year? They might have something in common with each other.Or from earlier reports you may never need to go out to buy a game for your revolution again because you might be able to just order them through a phone line and continue to up them. Maybe you will be able to download Revolution games to your nintendo DS to take them on the go or the other way around. And the controller might be different but i am not sure maybe it might just look similiar to a PS2 controller, maybe its wireless,or it might be the DS is some way also. But a camera i dont think so thats just to low of nintendo by copying something thats already been done i mean its not a revolution in gaming. And if does have a camera which i am pretty sure it wont "hopefully"
Sat 01/01/05 at 21:46
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dringo wrote:
> Why would that be complicated, that'd be a great idea, I bet they do
> it.

1) If the controller was constantly changing, you'd never get used to it. Every time you get a new game it would be like using a new controller, and then when you go back to playing an old game, you'll have gotten used to a different game's controls and it'll just suck. Just...bad idea.

2) If the controls are constantly changing in game, there'll be no consistency. Your idea is just dire. DIRE.
Sat 01/01/05 at 21:57
Regular
"the burning sky"
Dringo wrote:
> Why would that be complicated, that'd be a great idea, I bet they do
> it.

Kinda like those Chameleon remotes? I tell you what's good about your idea, it would be really easy for the users to set up their own button configurations...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.