GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Camera to control Revolution - I told you"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 31/12/04 at 15:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
from igncube.com

"Earlier this week, the respected Japanese business magazine Shuukan Diamond reported in its 2005 Preview Edition that the Nintendo Revolution Controller will not feature a directional pad or A and B buttons."

No directional pad - no buttons - NINTOY CAMERA, I'm telling you. Idiots.
Tue 04/01/05 at 14:28
Regular
munn wrote:
> But it also had a d-pad.
>
> ALl of teh consoles have three bits about there, but, instead of it
> being digital, make it analogue, that way you can get more functions
> from it, so less buttons are needed.

There's no need for another analogue stick.
I mean, first it costs more to put it in.
Secondly you can only use one left analogue stick at a time, so instead of moving your thumb to the other analogue stick, hold a button down to turn the first analogue stick into the second.

Although I agree that the D-Pad was a handy place to hide little functions like commanding your wingmen on Rogue Leader.
Shame the stupid muppets who made Freedom Fighters decided you should have to scroll menu's with it, rather than use the analogue stick.
WTF???
Tue 04/01/05 at 00:53
Regular
munn wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> Secretly we all know that either Nintendo will mess it up completely
>
> Nah, I think they learned from the N-64 controller what not to do.

Or what to do, as normal people prefer to think.
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:18
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Secretly we all know that either Nintendo will mess it up completely

Nah, I think they learned from the N-64 controller what not to do.
Sun 02/01/05 at 21:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Right Dringo that's a 'great' idea. I think the best comment about it was that you would be inable to press 2 buttons at once.

It is almost a certainty that GC controllers won't be compatible with the Revolution and it's obvious why - peripherals are HUGE money earners for Nintendo. A wavebird retails for £35 - that's the same price as a GC. If Nintendo can get an extra £60 out of you for new controllers then they will do it without a doubt. That's why no console has ever been backwards compatible like that - even the PS and PS2 aren't, because the dual shock was a second controller released for the PS anyway..

The "no A or B buttons" comment will probably just lead to disaster, but I doubt that it'll just be a renaming of buttons. Nintendo's new drive appears to be cornering the non-gamers market by making games simpler so that everyone can play it (good luck marketing games to non gamers - they've obviously thought that one through), which mean's they're trying to dispense with the whole "complicated" aura that non-gamers seem to have about controllers. This means touch-pad/eyetoy type thing. It's a rubbish idea, I know, and if Nintendo had any sense then they'd stick to perfecting their controllers (there's a reason that they work so well - because they're GOOD! Nintendo should not ALWAYS try to innovate), and in the end they probably will. What I'd like to see would be a PROPER second analog stick (not the 8 way C-sticky thing we have now), but keep the polygonal housing - it's what makes the GC stick better than the other two because it's more precise and more definite.

Secretly we all know that either Nintendo will mess it up completely or get it perfect.
Sun 02/01/05 at 13:56
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> So why are people growing an extra thumb to use two sticks at once?
>
> You want an analogue stick to do a different thing?
> Just make an extra trigger button for second function.
> Or make the analogue stick a pushable button like on the Xbox
> controller.
>
> A neat touch that was.

But it also had a d-pad.

ALl of teh consoles have three bits about there, but, instead of it being digital, make it analogue, that way you can get more functions from it, so less buttons are needed.
Sun 02/01/05 at 12:03
Regular
Dringo, nice work with the imagination and everything but it just wouldn't be cool/good.

From a gamers perspective as well as a developers one.

It'd be a nightmare to do for one thing, as well as the fact that there would be no 'standard' in the controllers interface. I.E. with the GC controller, the buttons are A,B,Y,X,Z,L,R - this gives the developer the ability to allow their game to be controlled with this layout.

Also, from a gamers perspective, you'd have to re-learn button configurations each time for each game, what button goes where, what button does what etc. With the GC controller, the 'standard' allows you to understand and easily find where each button is (which goes along side with the point that 'caressing' the buttons is alot easier then rubbing a screen).

Tell me this, when a game informs you of pressing say, the Y button to activate something, do you look down at the controller and hover your thumb over to it? Or is it already known to you where that button is so you can press it without too much thought?

I say they should keep the GC controller for the next machine!
Sun 02/01/05 at 07:56
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> Perhaps they're just naming them somthing else or something...

C + D?
Sun 02/01/05 at 01:45
Regular
So why are people growing an extra thumb to use two sticks at once?

You want an analogue stick to do a different thing?
Just make an extra trigger button for second function.
Or make the analogue stick a pushable button like on the Xbox controller.

A neat touch that was.
Sun 02/01/05 at 00:20
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> I wouldn't miss the d-pad (although it DID have it's uses in games
> like Metroid Prime and Timesplitters... but better can be done).
>
> Perhaps they're just naming them somthing else or something...

The d-stick

Instead of it being a digital pad, it'll be an anologue stick, so there would be three of them instead of two.

Why go digital when you can go analogue (although, technically it's still digital)?
Sat 01/01/05 at 23:31
Regular
Dringo, nice idea in theory but I like the physicalness of buttons.

Means you can feel what you're pressing.
On a screen you don't be able to feel where the button begins and ends, and your thumb might be prone to slipping a bit.

Kudos for imagination though.

I wouldn't miss the d-pad (although it DID have it's uses in games like Metroid Prime and Timesplitters... but better can be done).
The A-B thing sounds a little suspect...
I mean, I would really miss those buttons.

Perhaps they're just naming them somthing else or something...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.