GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EXTRA GAD - Online Console Wars"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/10/04 at 23:33
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
This is quite a serious Extra Gameaday Competition

The challenge is to write an interesting piece about online gaming as:
XBOX Live Experience - Pro's and Cons
or
PS2 Networking Experience - Pro's and Cons
or
PS2 Networking vs XBOX Live - Comparison

The winner will be the best entry (in the opinion of the judges) submitted before midnight on Sunday November 14th.

Your entry will be judged on the basis of concise, readable, well written information. i.e. it must be written like a review. Try to include your experiences from initial interest and sign up through to full use.

All entries, whether they are the winner or not, may be used elsewhere on our site. The best entries will probably appear on a subsection of the UKconsoles site.

DO NOT COPY ANY WORK. These must be original.

I recommend that you save your work into a word processing document before entering it in case you want to work on it later.

Good Luck Chaps and Chapesses
Page:
Wed 03/11/04 at 22:21
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Edgy wrote:
> Xbox Live wouldn¡¯t be so good if it wasn¡¯t

weird
Wed 03/11/04 at 22:13
Regular
Shame they got rid of banners...I quite enjoyed doing them and almost anyone could enter.
Wed 03/11/04 at 22:02
Regular
I'll be glad when we finally get given a fun E-Gad.
Wed 03/11/04 at 21:58
Regular
Un-edited post:

Xbox Live Review

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service for the Microsoft Xbox. It provides gamers with an easy to use experience that no other gaming platform can create with quality and reliability to match.

Setting up Xbox Live is really easy if you already have a home network. That is, two or more computers connected together to share files and resources. If you haven¡¯t, then it can be a little pricey. Here is a checklist of the minimum items you will need to successfully experience Xbox Live:

• A Broadband internet connection. Preferably a 512kbps or above, but 256kbps will work. Do not, however, use AOL broadband as they are not compatible at all.
• An Xbox
• An Xbox Live starter pack.
• A Broadband router
• A Network Switch (if sharing the connection with a PC)
• Enough Ethernet cables to connect the whole lot together - total depends on how many devices connecting to the switch.
• A valid Visa or Mastercard

I found setting up Xbox Live rather easy once I had all the equipment. I plugged it all in and placed my Xbox Live disc into the console. It installed the necessary software and automatically picked up my internet settings, so there was no manual entering of various network addresses to be done.

I was then prompted to enter various details to sign up. They include home address, email address (so they can inform you of changes to the agreement) and credit card details to pay with. Even though you get a free twelve month subscription, they require the details partially as a security measure and partially to make sure you will actually pay twelve months from your start date.

Once you have successfully entered in all the details you're free to play whatever Xbox Live enabled games you have in your collection. When I first started, I played Midtown Madness 3. A rubbish game offline, but online it is great fun! Various modes of play which include racing around cities and lots of crazy driving! It also made use of most of the features a Live game could have at the time.

Originally, I wanted to try out the voice masks. One makes you sound like Darth Vader, whilst another makes you sound like a little girl, but when I saw 'Disabled', I assumed I would sound like a mental patient from the psychiatric hospital. It wasn't until I did an impression of Timmy from South Park that I realised it meant, 'No voicemask'.

I must admit I did find the seven other players voices in my ear rather overwhelming at first. With a number of them using the same voicemask it was difficult to differentiate who was who. However, I decided that any who refused to turn off their voicemask would be booted from my game, and so they were. Clarity of voice over the microphone tends to depend on a number of factors. Mainly the quality of your connection and the quality of theirs. However, background noise such as a loud TV, or a stereo playing in the background tend to cause noise on the speaker which does become rather irritating. As does the lack of ability some gamers possess in being able to breathe normally or move their microphone slightly away from their line of fire when breathing through their noses or mouths. This can be sorted by muting individual players, or by kicking them. Whichever you feel is most beneficial.

Without trying to put anyone off going for Xbox Live, there are a small minority who try to spoil it for everyone else. They decide to join games just to scream down the microphone. You go to kick them and they leave so that they can re-enter the game. This doesn¡¯t happen so much anymore now that the novelty has worn off, but it did become a nuisance at one point. The Xbox Live rating system is supposed to tackle this kind of problem. If you select a players name in almost any game, you are presented with a menu with around eight different options to choose from. There are two positive ones and around six negative, each outlining the most common problems. If a player gains enough bad feedback, they lose their microphone rights and if they continue to cause problems still, they lose their Xbox Live account altogether.

Online gaming via Xbox is far superior to that of the PC. Instead of facing problems with cheaters who implement various hacks and mods into their games in order to gain a false advantage, you are faced with playing the games how they¡¯re meant to be played. There¡¯s none of this ¡°j00 5u><0r5¡± crap involved either as all communication is done via the Xbox Microphone.

As a whole, the Xbox Live experience is the best feature of the Xbox. It adds to the lifespan of games and enables console gaming to reach new limits! Not to mention it gives some of the less sociable people out there a chance to have some fun with real people without having to get over the social barriers that sometimes they struggle to get over. Most people get on fine with each other on Xbox Live and their main intention is to enjoy themselves and have a laugh. That¡¯s what makes Xbox Live so great.

Xbox Live wouldn¡¯t be so good if it wasn¡¯t for the range of games. There are tonnes of titles to play including the top quality Rainbow Six 3, Midtown Madness 3, and Burnout 3! These are some of the best Live games currently out. Others worth noting for their top quality online gaming are Project Gotham Racing 2, Halo 2, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow.

So if you are thinking of getting Xbox Live, then get it. You wont regret it. It is so easy to set up and online gaming is almost instant from the moment you put your favourite Live enabled game in your Xbox!
Wed 03/11/04 at 21:47
Regular
Argh! Bullet points not coming out?

Hmmm...they normally do.

Well you can always check the originals (or so I've heard) incase it seems like I'm cheating by editing my entry.
Wed 03/11/04 at 21:46
Regular
Hell, if no one else can be bothered, I'm gonna give it a go :P

Xbox Live Review

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service for the Microsoft Xbox. It provides gamers with an easy to use experience that no other gaming platform can create with quality and reliability to match.

Setting up Xbox Live is really easy if you already have a home network. That is, two or more computers connected together to share files and resources. If you haven¡¯t, then it can be a little pricey. Here is a checklist of the minimum items you will need to successfully experience Xbox Live:

• A Broadband internet connection. Preferably a 512kbps or above, but 256kbps will work. Do not, however, use AOL broadband as they are not compatible at all.
• An Xbox
• An Xbox Live starter pack.
• A Broadband router
• A Network Switch (if sharing the connection with a PC)
• Enough Ethernet cables to connect the whole lot together - total depends on how many devices connecting to the switch.
• A valid Visa or Mastercard

I found setting up Xbox Live rather easy once I had all the equipment. I plugged it all in and placed my Xbox Live disc into the console. It installed the necessary software and automatically picked up my internet settings, so there was no manual entering of various network addresses to be done.

I was then prompted to enter various details to sign up. They include home address, email address (so they can inform you of changes to the agreement) and credit card details to pay with. Even though you get a free twelve month subscription, they require the details partially as a security measure and partially to make sure you will actually pay twelve months from your start date.

Once you have successfully entered in all the details you're free to play whatever Xbox Live enabled games you have in your collection. When I first started, I played Midtown Madness 3. A rubbish game offline, but online it is great fun! Various modes of play which include racing around cities and lots of crazy driving! It also made use of most of the features a Live game could have at the time.

Originally, I wanted to try out the voice masks. One makes you sound like Darth Vader, whilst another makes you sound like a little girl, but when I saw 'Disabled', I assumed I would sound like a mental patient from the psychiatric hospital. It wasn't until I did an impression of Timmy from South Park that I realised it meant, 'No voicemask'.

I must admit I did find the seven other players voices in my ear rather overwhelming at first. With a number of them using the same voicemask it was difficult to differentiate who was who. However, I decided that any who refused to turn off their voicemask would be booted from my game, and so they were. Clarity of voice over the microphone tends to depend on a number of factors. Mainly the quality of your connection and the quality of theirs. However, background noise such as a loud TV, or a stereo playing in the background tend to cause noise on the speaker which does become rather irritating. As does the lack of ability some gamers possess in being able to breathe normally or move their microphone slightly away from their line of fire when breathing through their noses or mouths. This can be sorted by muting individual players, or by kicking them. Whichever you feel is most beneficial.

Without trying to put anyone off going for Xbox Live, there are a small minority who try to spoil it for everyone else. They decide to join games just to scream down the microphone. You go to kick them and they leave so that they can re-enter the game. This doesn¡¯t happen so much anymore now that the novelty has worn off, but it did become a nuisance at one point. The Xbox Live rating system is supposed to tackle this kind of problem. If you select a players name in almost any game, you are presented with a menu with around eight different options to choose from. There are two positive ones and around six negative, each outlining the most common problems. If a player gains enough bad feedback, they lose their microphone rights and if they continue to cause problems still, they lose their Xbox Live account altogether.

Online gaming via Xbox is far superior to that of the PC. Instead of facing problems with cheaters who implement various hacks and mods into their games in order to gain a false advantage, you are faced with playing the games how they¡¯re meant to be played. There¡¯s none of this ¡°j00 5u><0r5¡± crap involved either as all communication is done via the Xbox Microphone.

As a whole, the Xbox Live experience is the best feature of the Xbox. It adds to the lifespan of games and enables console gaming to reach new limits! Not to mention it gives some of the less sociable people out there a chance to have some fun with real people without having to get over the social barriers that sometimes they struggle to get over. Most people get on fine with each other on Xbox Live and their main intention is to enjoy themselves and have a laugh. That¡¯s what makes Xbox Live so great.

Xbox Live wouldn¡¯t be so good if it wasn¡¯t for the range of games. There are tonnes of titles to play including the top quality Rainbow Six 3, Midtown Madness 3, and Burnout 3! These are some of the best Live games currently out. Others worth noting for their top quality online gaming are Project Gotham Racing 2, Halo 2, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow.

So if you are thinking of getting Xbox Live, then get it. You wont regret it. It is so easy to set up and online gaming is almost instant from the moment you put your favourite Live enabled game in your Xbox!
Sat 30/10/04 at 02:06
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> This is discriminatory against PC users,

Yeah, those NAZI CONSOLES.
Sat 30/10/04 at 02:03
Regular
This is discriminatory against PC users, and there is a huge argument for PC superiority over the net.

Probably already been said.
Sat 30/10/04 at 00:47
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Shouldn't this topic be sticky?

Might give this ago, beats sitting around being bored in uni labs...
Thu 28/10/04 at 19:57
Regular
"SOUP!"
Leave the phillipinos out of it FFF
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.