GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheap and chearful router..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/10/04 at 02:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Can anyone recommend a nice cheap and cheerful router for me? It needs to have 6 ports (or 8 if you can't get 6) and just be your regular bog standard router where I can plug it into the NTL modem and have it work with all the computers without any hassle.

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2527828425&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37453[/URL] (SR don't sell any wired routers any more...)

Anyway, that's what we've got now, just a simple router that is basically just plug and play (when using XP.)

What would people recommend, it's got to be nice and cheap but not be crap.

Thanks

P.S We've got to get rid of the router, that's why we're getting a new one!
Sun 14/11/04 at 23:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I use a USR 9106, you could probably pick it up at a reasonable price on ebay. Great router though.
Sun 14/11/04 at 20:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I always buy modems with ethernet output. Unfortunately I never buy cheap networking hardware. Saves money that way. Especially as my last "cheap and cheerful" network card took the PCI bus to hell with it.
Sun 14/11/04 at 18:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
All routers are largely equivalent, although if you're going to get a Linksys make sure it is kept somewhere cool, as they are notorious for cooking themselves. I've had a Netgear router and a Buffalo router - both did the job fine, but both had ridiculous firmware bugs.
Sun 14/11/04 at 17:11
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I didn't buy that switch in the end, because it wouldn't work!

I need a router, I don't wanna have my laptop on all day just so everyone else can use the Internet.

Does anyone know of a cheap 8-port router or is the £50 one I found the only one?
Sat 23/10/04 at 15:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I'm buying that switch. It had better work!
Fri 22/10/04 at 22:33
Regular
Freeola wrote:
> The main problem that you're going to have is that NTL don't actually
> support networking due to the software that you have to load up to
> actually run their connections.

Er...

You don't have to 'load' anything if your NTL is connected through ethernet. You only have to run special software when you connect your computer up to it's modem using USB.

I'm currently networked with a router and NTL.
Fri 22/10/04 at 16:03
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Perhaps, but i don't think the price point will attract the mass market.
Fri 22/10/04 at 15:52
Regular
"Freeola Support"
cookie monster wrote:
> It looks like your service is perhaps more focused on customers who
> have an active interest in website development.
We aim to provide an all in one internet package whether you are into website design or not.

phi11ipa wrote:
> I'll buy that switch thing off of you, but will it work the same way
> as a router?
> A switch only has 8 connections, it doesn't split the connection like
> a router, it merely creates a mini-network.
> Will it be as easy as plugging the modem into port 1 and just
> plugging the others in too?
The only difference with a Router is it has a gateway and normally a NAT device
Fri 22/10/04 at 15:31
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I'll buy that switch thing off of you, but will it work the same way as a router?

A switch only has 8 connections, it doesn't split the connection like a router, it merely creates a mini-network.

Will it be as easy as plugging the modem into port 1 and just plugging the others in too?
Fri 22/10/04 at 15:11
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Cassius wrote:
> Did you know that our webspace is unlmited? As is our domain hosting?
> As well is our e-mail addresses. The customer support is also free,
> and the service £49.99 service is uncapped. You can still get
> all that on 2MB Broadband for as little as £29.99 per month.
> Depending on your cap.

Ive had a look at the member centre and it seems they host domains, but the number depends on the account, a maximum of 3 before they start charging for them, like yourselves however they do unlimited mailboxes and free customer support.

It looks like your service is perhaps more focused on customers who have an active interest in website development.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.