GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheap and chearful router..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/10/04 at 02:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Can anyone recommend a nice cheap and cheerful router for me? It needs to have 6 ports (or 8 if you can't get 6) and just be your regular bog standard router where I can plug it into the NTL modem and have it work with all the computers without any hassle.

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2527828425&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37453[/URL] (SR don't sell any wired routers any more...)

Anyway, that's what we've got now, just a simple router that is basically just plug and play (when using XP.)

What would people recommend, it's got to be nice and cheap but not be crap.

Thanks

P.S We've got to get rid of the router, that's why we're getting a new one!
Fri 22/10/04 at 02:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Can anyone recommend a nice cheap and cheerful router for me? It needs to have 6 ports (or 8 if you can't get 6) and just be your regular bog standard router where I can plug it into the NTL modem and have it work with all the computers without any hassle.

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2527828425&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37453[/URL] (SR don't sell any wired routers any more...)

Anyway, that's what we've got now, just a simple router that is basically just plug and play (when using XP.)

What would people recommend, it's got to be nice and cheap but not be crap.

Thanks

P.S We've got to get rid of the router, that's why we're getting a new one!
Fri 22/10/04 at 12:21
Regular
The main problem that you're going to have is that NTL don't actually support networking due to the software that you have to load up to actually run their connections. The only way round this is to either run it through a server (and trick it into believing that you're using the server as a workstation) or alternatively if the workstations themselves are all on Windows XP you can run one machine as an internet connection server. Use this machine as the connection point, get Windows XP to run connection sharing and then try the Sweex 8 Port Hub [URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG8767_sweex_8_port_10100.html[/URL] to link them all together (remembering to use a private IP address range such as 192.168....

Other than this... you could try Freeola ADSL ([URL]http://www.freeola.com/broadband/[/URL]) which does support the use of networks and actively provides 2 routers in the sign up process which you can use for this very purpose. :-)
Fri 22/10/04 at 12:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Why is freeola 2mb uncapped adsl so expensive?
Fri 22/10/04 at 12:52
Regular
It's not, the current price of just £49.99 including VAT is amazing. If you consider this as a "complete" product with all the extra benefits, for a closer comparison you will need to spend around £120 per month.
Fri 22/10/04 at 12:57
Regular
"The Guru"
Expensive?!! I fail to see how you can call £49.99 per month for UNCAPPED 2MB Broadband expensive. Many other providers will charge more than this and put download limits on it as well. Not only that, but you also get a range of free services thrown in such as free hosting and web space, as well as a free static IP address, which usually costs extra. Up until earlier this week this service was £69.99 which wasn't unreasonable, but at £49.99, thats £20 cheaper, it's fantastic.
Fri 22/10/04 at 13:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I get much the same £10 cheaper with PlusNet
Fri 22/10/04 at 13:23
Regular
"The Guru"
Would you care to give us further details of this? Or perhaps give us a link to check these orders out?
Fri 22/10/04 at 13:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Only link i can really give you us this one im afraid

[URL]http://www.plus.net/products/broadband_home.html[/URL]

Uncapped 2mb for £39.99 a month, i cant find the page that has the other benefits at the moment, but ive got a static IP address for free and 250mb of webspace.
Fri 22/10/04 at 13:47
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Freeola wrote:
> The main problem that you're going to have is that NTL don't actually
> support networking due to the software that you have to load up to
> actually run their connections.

The software isn't installed on any computers, apart from one downstairs, everyone else just plugged their cable into the router and it worked.

If I buy that router/switch, will it be the same or will there be loads of fannying about?
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:42
Regular
"Freeola Support"
With NTL you only need the software for the USB Modem

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.