GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So I have a new PC on the way (Geforce FX 5500)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/01/05 at 20:41
"Uzi Lover"
Main specs being:

AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Processor
Mainboard , 2000MHz SB, IEEE 1394, SATA
1024MB DDR 400 RAM Memory
300GB Serial ATA (150Mb/s) Ultra Fast Hard Drive
256MB nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 - TV-Out - DVI
17" TFT Flat Panel LCD Monitor
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW (R/W all standard formats)*
5.1 Surround Sound 6 Channel Audio
Creative Labs Soundblaster SBS260 Stereo Speakers

Only thing worrying me here is the Geforce FX 5500 card. I'm going to be playing alot of games on this thing, yet I just read a review this card isn't one of the best performers for games.

Was looking at a Radeon 9800 XT or something hmmmmmm.

So I have Doom 3 here, if I stick it in on that thing will it still look pretty or erm...run?
Tue 01/02/05 at 07:30
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> I overclocked my XFX 6600 GT to 550/1100 and have seen a noticeable
> improvement in 3D Mark benchmark score.
>
> Is it safe to keep it running at this level?

Well, you'll soon know if it isn't, as glitches will appear on your screen as it gets too hot- if this happens, either turn it down, or buy a new heatsink + fan- a more efficient one, allowing you to O/C even further.
Tue 01/02/05 at 01:48
"Uzi Lover"
I overclocked my XFX 6600 GT to 550/1100 and have seen a noticeable improvement in 3D Mark benchmark score.

Is it safe to keep it running at this level?
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:19
Regular
"object"
sounds good, being a gamer i would get a better graphics card, if your geting it from mesh cause they have one with similar specifications their service is not very good
Mon 17/01/05 at 13:26
Regular
I find that over-clocking the memory speed allows you to peak at higher frame rates however when I clock the GPU further I maintain those frame rates.

I have only just finished using RadLinker which was decent until I wanted more over-clocking options. I now use RedLine which offers quite a bit more but it does cost to unlock the full shazam.
Sat 15/01/05 at 18:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
> Any tips on overclocking, if its worth it...anyone?

Increasing the memory speed will give more improvement than increasing the core speed, increase the memory speed until you notice artifacts (ripping textures, white specs and general oddness). Increase the core until your computer reboots or shows instability.

Use rivatuner or something like that to do the deed.
Sat 15/01/05 at 16:37
"Uzi Lover"
And I can't actually wait for this PC to come due to the games I've got ready for it. I'm not home much these days and don't really find the time to play games much lately, but it looks like I'm gonna have to...

Doom 3, Rome Total War, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, The Sims 2.

And to think I only paid £38 for Doom 3 and Rome. Call of Duty and Far Cry were bought for me and the other two are my sisters.

Muhahaa.
Sat 15/01/05 at 16:22
"Uzi Lover"
It is shipping with the newer card, as I got a invoice from them saying so. Didn't need to ring in the end.

I'll either sell it or shove it in my sisters.

I was going to go for the BFG 6600 GT which is slightly overclocked. However I got this XFX one for £140 which doesn't perform too bad at all and I thought if I really wanted I could overclock this one.

Any tips on overclocking, if its worth it...anyone?
Sat 15/01/05 at 15:40
"Majestic"
Chances are if the dispatch date is the 21st, it will ship with the better card anyway.

But now you've got a 6600 GT it doesn't really matter!
Sat 15/01/05 at 15:19
"Uzi Lover"
Silent_Hunter wrote:
> outta interest do all those mesh pc's have pci express in them?

I have no idea. And I didn't know how to find out.

The next PC up from the one I got in the sale has a PCI express card in it though.
Sat 15/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"Silence Is Silver!!"
> So I've just gone back on the website where I bought the PC from in
> the original post and they have changed the graphics card yet kept
> the same price tag.
>
> It's no longer a Geforce FX 5500, it's a Geforce FX 5700 LE.
>
> Worth phoning up and saying "Oi, change that for me I paid the
> same price", or not?

yeah I think you should

outta interest do all those mesh pc's have pci express in them?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.