GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Best" broadband provider?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/10/04 at 15:45
Regular
"Not a Jew"
It's looking like I'll be getting BB in January,

"Your exchange will have broadband by 20th January 2005.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb. However due to the length of your line the 1Mb service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, set up the broadband service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the speed of service you wish to order.

Order online today for a FREE modem and connection."

I know very little about broadband, usage limits etc. But I do know that I am NOT going to get AOL. Unsure about BT.
So can someone please recommened a decent BB provider and explain a bit about it and usage limits.
Thanks.
Mon 04/10/04 at 12:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cookie monster wrote:
> oasismark wrote:
> the 1.5MB deal is £35 which i'm thinking of going for, i dunno
> yet?
>
> Hmm, for another £5 you get 2mb from PlusNet.

£39.99 for 2MB uncapped sounds good though the breakdown is a tad rude:

2MB @ £19.99
Uncapped - additional £20

Otherwise, Plusnet charge £1.75 per GB over the agreed bandwidth.

I really disagree with the whole concept of capping and then charging cutomers for it when there's no need.

A 1GB/month cap (a la BT) =

4hrs of basic surfing a day
15 email attachemnts per week
10 song downloads/week
2 hours of online radio

NTL have a theoretical 1GB cap/day (31GB/month) although have yet to see it enforced. May have something to do with the ITC ruling about their "unlimited Braodband" description.

Would love to go Telewest (blueyonder), but they don't come this far south, but then they do have an enforced capping policy untill you hit 1Mb+.

Capping is just a crap excuse for ISP's to charge punters more and people wonder why we're still behind Portugal in the european BB penetration stats!

I have a friend in Sweden who get 20Mbps for less than £20/month with no capping, and this is seen as normal. In the UK, the max is 8Mb if you live nextdoor to the exchange in London!

FWIW, PlusNet ranked 13th in this months .NET IP list.
Mon 04/10/04 at 11:56
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
oasismark wrote:
> the 1.5MB deal is £35 which i'm thinking of going for, i dunno
> yet?

Hmm, for another £5 you get 2mb from PlusNet.
Mon 04/10/04 at 10:49
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
www.freedom2surf.com

I did an awful lot of checking into ISPs before picking them. I've had perfect up/down speeds and haven't needed to reboot my router in 2 years. Various services offered, all with static IP too (great for hosting your own server / secure connections to other machines etc.). I use the Pure IP Home User.

I've heard bad things about Bulldog and NTL. But probably just because so any people use them.
Mon 04/10/04 at 09:20
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Whats so wrong with NTL? Been with them for over a year now with almost no problems apart from where some chav paked his car in the exchange box outside killing my connection for 3 days! (NTL were convinced it was just my modem until i sent them a picture of said incident).

OK, they're a tad pricey at the moment, but I have no caps, fairly stable speed and stable connection (barring chavs).
Mon 04/10/04 at 07:31
Regular
Alexrose1uk wrote:
> I've been very happy with Pipex. Good cutsomer service and my line was
> activated after 5 days instead of the regular 9.
>

That is good to hear - my line should be active by Thursday. Hopefully it'll be sooner :D
Mon 04/10/04 at 02:39
Regular
"Fried rice is god."
Ive chkecked out pipex, and they dont compare to freeola, freeola offer a whole load of things, free webspace is my favourite feature, byt thayve also got, unlimited email addresses and a lot of domains to choose from for youre email address, unlimited web space and the customer service it great ^_^. I had a lot of talking with the cutstomer service chaps after I accidentally naffed up my password, and they were great :-)
Sun 03/10/04 at 22:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Bwahahaha, that NTL story is great, some customers can be total gimps.
Sun 03/10/04 at 20:04
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I've been very happy with Pipex. Good cutsomer service and my line was activated after 5 days instead of the regular 9.

Very few problems, except for one general one at thier end which was recognized and fixed quickly.
Sun 03/10/04 at 19:44
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Right, you people are great. Thanks a lot.
:D
Sun 03/10/04 at 18:46
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
cjh wrote:
> Did you read about NTL's customer service answer machine being
> changed to an abusive message? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/
> {SPACE} nottinghamshire/3693256.stm)

Ahaha, fantastic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.