GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Best" broadband provider?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/10/04 at 15:45
Regular
"Not a Jew"
It's looking like I'll be getting BB in January,

"Your exchange will have broadband by 20th January 2005.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb. However due to the length of your line the 1Mb service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, set up the broadband service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the speed of service you wish to order.

Order online today for a FREE modem and connection."

I know very little about broadband, usage limits etc. But I do know that I am NOT going to get AOL. Unsure about BT.
So can someone please recommened a decent BB provider and explain a bit about it and usage limits.
Thanks.
Tue 05/10/04 at 20:50
Regular
"Not a Jew"
More complicated than it looks, all this.

Thanks for your input people, I'll definitely be researching into the providers you mentioned.
Tue 05/10/04 at 18:26
Regular
When I was researching and reading up for my broadband ISP, Eclipse appeared to be the best. They perform very well in "actual speed" tests (you can find some stats like that on the net), are a local company and, at the time, had a good deal on.

Of course, times change and it's likely that there's a better value package available now. But Eclipse have never let me down and the service and performance are excellent.
Mon 04/10/04 at 16:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Catbus wrote:
> I just contacted Plusnet and asked for confirmation that there
> 'Premier' option was unlimited/uncapped etc. I just got a reply back
> saying.. "We confirm that the premier service is not
> currently capped"
I don't like how they said
> currently does that imply that they might or indeed will be
> implimenting a cap on their premier service? Maybe I should email
> them again.

Even still, if you went for a years contract i would think that would offer you safety against their sudden introduction. Unless there is a disclaimer somewhere in the contract, which is likely.
Mon 04/10/04 at 16:09
Regular
I just contacted Plusnet and asked for confirmation that there 'Premier' option was unlimited/uncapped etc. I just got a reply back saying.. "We confirm that the premier service is not currently capped" I don't like how they said currently does that imply that they might or indeed will be implimenting a cap on their premier service? Maybe I should email them again.
Mon 04/10/04 at 13:58
Regular
We have to switch soon. BT have been giving us a lot of problems and it's very common for us to reboot the router several times a day.

I suppose it'll be either Plusnet or Pipex we go for, upgrade to a 1Mb as well. From Tyla's list it seems Plusnet 1Mb is best.

Still I would rather not have mailboxes, free webspace, and other features if the price could be kept lower. It's practically useless to me.
Mon 04/10/04 at 13:16
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ive never even heard of Lixxus.
Mon 04/10/04 at 12:33
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Tyla wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Christ, who is first?
>
> 1. Lixxus Metered BB 512
> 2. Freedon2surf Connect lite 512
> 3. PlusNet 1Mb
> 4. Nildram 512
> 5. Wannadoo 1Mb
> 6. Gio Internet 512
> 7. Tesco 512
> 8. Dial Up ISP 512
> 9 BT BB Basic 512
> 10. Spinler.net 512
> 11. Tiscali 512
> 12. Ftreedom2surf Connect 512
> 13. PlusNet 2Mb

I've heard very bad things about Nildram, Tesco and Tiscali.... Pipex I have heard almost no bad things about. They provide a good service, as can be seen at places like ADSLguide.org.uk (where customers have rated)
Mon 04/10/04 at 12:24
Regular
Where did Pipex 512 come?
Mon 04/10/04 at 12:17
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cookie monster wrote:
> Christ, who is first?

1. Lixxus Metered BB 512
2. Freedon2surf Connect lite 512
3. PlusNet 1Mb
4. Nildram 512
5. Wannadoo 1Mb
6. Gio Internet 512
7. Tesco 512
8. Dial Up ISP 512
9 BT BB Basic 512
10. Spinler.net 512
11. Tiscali 512
12. Ftreedom2surf Connect 512
13. PlusNet 2Mb
Mon 04/10/04 at 12:06
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Christ, who is first?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.