GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Release the hounds!""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/10/04 at 11:56
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Please look at my site blah blah blah.

Before you do:-

. I'm an amateur photographer, so the photos are going to be pants
. the site design is supposed to be simple, the idea being that it doesn't detract from the photos ;^)

All feedback is welcome, positive or negative, and feel free to comment on the photo (there'll be a new one everyday or so) on the site itself.

[URL]http://beepclick.co.uk/[/URL]
Sat 02/10/04 at 10:13
"Are you sure?"
Timmargh wrote:
> ... and stop hijacking my thread!
>
> *tries to look affronted*

Oops sorry about that...
On beepclick I realise it's all about having quality images but I think you could still optimise the jpg's a bit.
Your geranium is 158k, I optimised it to about a third of that without loosing any of the photo's quality - might be worth a thought for anyone on a dialup?

It will look good as the images build up in the archive -
Good luck with it.
Sat 02/10/04 at 13:03
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Hmmm... wrote:
> On beepclick I realise it's all about having quality images but I think you could still optimise
> the jpg's a bit. Your geranium is 158k, I optimised it to about a third of that without loosing
> any of the photo's quality - might be worth a thought for anyone on a dialup?

Yeah, sorry about that. To start off with I set them to load in under 30 seconds on a 56K modem, but I will be optimising them all when I get round to it.

> It will look good as the images build up in the archive - Good luck with it.

Cheers.
Sat 02/10/04 at 13:10
Regular
Good stuff Timmargh.

I reckon you could touch up the logo a bit though aye? Or is that just something temporary whilst you work on the more important bits of the site.
Sat 02/10/04 at 15:17
Regular
"Twenty quid."
gamesfreak wrote:
> I reckon you could touch up the logo a bit though aye? Or is that just something temporary
> whilst you work on the more important bits of the site.

I wanted it to be simple and quick to start with and once I'm happy with the layout and mechanics of the site, then I usually start tweaking. So, yes, I probably will add a few touches to the logo - nothing fancy, though, maybe a shadow or something like that.

Any suggestions?
Sat 02/10/04 at 15:25
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
That site is perfect apart from one thing.

It has a little smudge or something at the bottom of the screen, between "Powered by" and "Digital Crocus".

:)
Sat 02/10/04 at 16:51
"Are you sure?"
Timmargh wrote:
> Please look at my site blah blah blah.
> All feedback is welcome...

Timmargh, as the page is quite narrow, how about putting the last five or so pics as thumbnails down the side ? If you make them links then this would also encourage people to keep browsing.

Just a thought...
Sat 02/10/04 at 17:31
Regular
"NULL"
Yeah, or have the current photo as the middle thumbnail down the side, and the previous 2 above it, and the next 2 below it. Then fade the 4 thumbnails that aren't for the current photo, and have the current thumbnail slightly larger than the others... Sorry if that didn't read very well, it's hard to explain.
Sat 02/10/04 at 19:28
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Timmargh, as the page is quite narrow, how about putting the last five or so pics as
> thumbnails down the side ? If you make them links then this would also encourage people to
> keep browsing.

It's a possibility, but I made the page narrow to fit as many screen resolutions as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll consider it.
Sat 02/10/04 at 19:30
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Nimco wrote:
> ... Then fade the 4 thumbnails that aren't for the current photo, and have the current
> thumbnail slightly larger than the others...

Good suggestion, but I want to keep it all fairly simple.

Cheers anyway.
Sat 02/10/04 at 19:31
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Azul wrote:
> It has a little smudge or something at the bottom of the screen, between "Powered by" and
> "Digital Crocus".

Jealousy is a terrible thing ...

;^)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.