GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"And people say school is easy these days"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/09/04 at 12:59
Regular
"Excommunicated"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3692092.stm[/URL]

How did these people get to Uni? Give us yer money and we'll gie ye a degree it seems.

I don't see Glasgow Uni mentioned though. Woo
Tue 28/09/04 at 18:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I agree.... now.
Tue 28/09/04 at 17:33
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
monkey_man wrote:
> No, it shows that the education system is willing to give hope to the
> few people that may have learning difficulties, but are interested in
> acquiring a skill.

I agree. I think some people are looking at that story at completely the wrong angle. My best friend is in my class in Uni studying Physics, she's not the best reader and her spelling is atrocious, but she's a very bright girl, and is currently sitting third in her class. She would really benefit from a programme like that in our Uni.
Tue 28/09/04 at 17:24
Regular
The good thing about it (for the people who go on to be engineers etc), is becasue you need to go training to do it after finishing school, there's few people who do it, so those that do get paid loads, but 50's style schools (the ones you're suggesting) = better.

And it'd also give me something better to do than Advanced Info Systems (most retarded subject ever), but becasue History wouldn't fit in my timetable I had to do info. Boo.
Mon 27/09/04 at 23:28
Good idea Aliboy, though the Govt. would probably do that in shakeup No. 153 of the education system, implemented probably in 20+ years time.
Mon 27/09/04 at 23:26
Regular
No... its coz the scottish are stupid.
Mon 27/09/04 at 23:21
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Nah, cause that would be silly.

The more clever folk go and learn their history, geography, computing, physics, biology etc.

Not so clever folk still do the likes of maths, english and science but can opt to do more hands on things that they could make a career of when they leave school.
Mon 27/09/04 at 22:20
Regular
That they should do, though they shouldn't substitute what we've already got for it, that's be unfair on people who don't want to lay bricks.
Mon 27/09/04 at 22:10
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Uni's need to fill courses and it has to be said there are some pants uni's out there who take pretty much most folk.
Then of course there is certain courses that you don't really need to be too clever to take.

Most folk like that who opt to do hard courses drop out when it gets too hard or they fail.
It gives them a chance to do well if they work hard, it also gives some of them debt for things they don't finish.

I still think that schools should teach kids most skill based things, brick laying, hair dressing etc
Mon 27/09/04 at 17:11
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I am unable to read and write but I don't let that stop me.
Mon 27/09/04 at 15:10
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
cookie monster wrote:
> "Some students could not write, spell or punctuate simple
> sentences."
>
> And they are being allowed into university why?

Because otherwise Universities would only be about a third full :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.