GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sven is seriously the worst manager ever"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/09/04 at 21:34
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Beckham had an awful game, has been for the last few, and still he starts him and only takes him off when he has a tummy ache. Ugh every one of his balls was headed out at the near post.

Same with Owen, quiet all night and yet he decided to take Defoe off instead. F******g hell, and then when he does he brings on bloody Dyer, leaving us with no one anywhere near their area when all the big clearances came forward.

Why does Sven insist on playing Owen Hargreaves when there are players of the absoulte quality of Joe Cole and Sean WP on the bench? Both are incredible and would do a darn lot more than Hargreaves ever could. Ok, it was late in the game, but still, brinng either on, both quick, get them sprinting down the wing and maybe grab another to win the game.

And before any of you start saying Defoe's was lucky, it was genius. Great turn, great finish, simple as. And he played well, same with Ledley. Oh and Robbo made some great goal kicks ^o)
Wed 15/09/04 at 20:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Solskjær wrote:
>But, for some reason Eriksson thinks there is
> "no better man" for the right-side of midfield -
> when, clearly, there is; and Beckham should be in the centre.

But then to play him there that means replacing one of either Gerrard or Lampard who are playing FAR better than Beckham to earn a place in the team
Wed 15/09/04 at 15:20
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Heh, they're only a few games into the new La Liga season over in Spain...! :P

Towards the end of last season, he wasn hardly living up to his name with his on-pitch performances for Real Madrid either.

Like I've said before, I still think his talent (whether he shows it or not) is too potentially-great a thing for us not to have in our England team, now. But, for some reason Eriksson thinks there is "no better man" for the right-side of midfield - when, clearly, there is; and Beckham should be in the centre.

If we are to improve, things have to change - that's the fact!
Tue 14/09/04 at 14:18
Regular
I think Beckham recent preformance at Real Madrid proves he is still one of England's greatest players.
Tue 14/09/04 at 10:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
There's no doubt David Beckham and Michael Owen prove more valuable than any other man in their positions based on Experience alone (as did David James over Robinson, Green and Kirkland), but it's when these same players aren't doing what we've seen they can do. When their regular starting places appear clearly unjustified. When, at times, we can appear to be playing with 10 or even NINE man, just because someone isn't willing to pull his finger out.

Though, it is very harsh to put Michael Owen under the same heading as Real Madrid's David Beckham. Owen does score goals. Not only that, he works for the ball when it reaches the frontline.

Aside from the odd "Portugal PUNT", bending over for the cameras when we've won a corner/free-kick and darting into first onto ever back-page celebration when he's apparently carrying great injuries or lacking fitness... What good is he to us now?

No, really - I want your HONEST opinion.

He isn't the 'great' Captain the media have previously made him out to be. Anyone can see Steven Gerrard is the ideal man for the job right now. When Peter Taylor first gave him the armband, sure, back then, he had potential... Things have changed since then, though.
Tue 14/09/04 at 00:02
Regular
I completley agree with Ant... I have faith when the experienced beckham has the ball as opposed to the young, inexperienced firey Wright-Phillips...

They should play now and again in order to gain experience and one day replace the old crowd.

But even if you have 6-8 fantastic youngesters, playing them all is dangerous because they are far more unpredictable than Owen and Beckham.

Look at the current day Leeds team, Simon Walton, Johnson, Killgannon, Richardson, Pugh, Paul Keegan, Scott Carlson have all played international U21, U18 football. But instead of pushing them through quickly, Blackwell brought in reliable, proven 30-35 year old players and only play 2-3 of the youngsters.

Carlson maybe a wonderful keeper but can he play as consistantly as Neil Sullivan? Simon Walton may have ran rings around Valencia, but can he do that in every game?

To be a young player and make it into such an established team as England you need to be reliable.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:37
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Owen is good, but with his form continuing like this, he must be dropped.

Smith is doing a great job for Man United and deserves another chance. Defoe has had a great start to the season with Tottenham AND scored on his debut, so he must start.

Why not try C. Cole?

He's scoring for fun at the moment scoring 6 for Villa in friendlies and then got a couple in the Premiership. Also scored something like 3 goals in 2 for England under 21's.

If Rooney got a chance, then why not Cole?
Fri 10/09/04 at 21:51
Regular
"I like cheese"
Lil Bro wrote:
> Every single other person here agrees he had a good game, and he had
> a good game last week too, even after coming on for 20 odd mins.
>
> Michael Owen should not start for England. It's as simple as that, he
> has been shocking for the last two games, and wasn't boy wonder
> before then now was he. he isn't even a shade of his former self.

*laughs heartily*

Shocking? Yes, that's why it was thanks to him we actually won our last game.

Who do you suggest we play instead? Defoe and Smith up-front? Both are unproven at international level, and between them have scored...actually, has Smith ever score for England?

Admittedly, Owen hasn't had the best of patches, he's been quiet but if we're honest, he usually is! However, he's always there when we really need him, he's scored so many significant and important goals that it doesn't really matter if he didn't play wonderfully against a side like Poland.

Also, what did Defoe do that Owen didn't apart from score? I visibly remember him missing an absolute sitter. Yes he had a good game and yes he scored a good goal, but personally I don't think Owen had a bad game...actually I very much disagree, since moving to Madrid I think Owen is looking far sharper and much rejuvenated for England...

You know what would happen if Sven jumped on the bandwagon along with everyone else and picked Defoe/Smith/Rooney up-front? We'd be at 0-0, 1-1, or 0-1, he'd bring on Owen after an hour, and Owen would most probably score. He might not do anything else at all, but he HAS to play because when he gets a chance he'll take it, and the international record proves it.

The reason Sven is the England manager (and in my view, a good one) is because he's extremely shrewd and doesn't jump on the bandwagon like half the bloody England fans out there. He realises that no doubt players like Defoe, Smith, Cole and WP have talent - but just because they play well for the clubs and score a goal at international level against sides like Poland does not mean they should be replacing experienced, proven players such as Owen, and in my view Beckham.
Fri 10/09/04 at 19:32
Regular
What if Owen sits on the bench for most of this season should Sven still pick him?
Fri 10/09/04 at 19:30
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Seeing Paul Robinson in the England starting-eleven brought a great smile to my face along with feelings of satisfaction and security, even. Things I never felt seeing Calamity AfroMan between the sticks.

Was the media-pressure simply too much for the one-sided Eriksson, this time? Or, did he really see the right descision to be made? If that can happen, perhaps there's hope for Steven Gerrard's shining future as England captain, with Beckham alongside him in the centre...
And there was Eriksson's - *SHOCK, HORROR!* - second GOOD descision of the make, substituting David Beckham in the second-half (even if it was down to injury...).

I really can't say who I think will wear No.1 for England in the next qualifier... It really could be either of them! Robinson, although greatly un-tested against Poland, will have added points to his name with a clean sheet. But, once everything's died down a little, will Eriksson be tempted to once again throw David James into the danger zone?

Onto the midfield, and I was also very pleased to see the Ashley Cole-Wayne Bridge left-sided partnership going well in this match - and to great effect, too. With Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard or Nicky Butt there, we simply wouldn't have seen even half the chances Bridge was looking to setup with vicious balls into the penalty area. Let's also hope the Swede can stick with this one, for a little longer....

Speaking briefly of Lampard, I am one to question his place in the England team. It's all because of what David Beckham can do on his day, you see. Looking at things now, you have to fancy Wayne Bridge and Shaun Wright-Phillips as our regular wide-men, right? Steven Gerrard is a name you simply cannot ignore. That only leaves on central place...
We've all seen it in the past, what David Beckham can really do. And, in the games for Real Madrid and against the Ukraine, we've seen how much he can benefit from playing more centrally.
On his day, I still think it's Beckham over Lampard, whatever the weather. Trouble is, we just can't see when that day might come...

Michael Owen can easily be critisised for his inconsistant work-rate at times, but, it's like someone else said, you really can't think of leaving him out, either. He has the pace of no other England striker alive today. He's got the experience. He's scored some sublime goals in his time, plenty of them, too. All he needs is the right partner, now...
And, I don't think it should definitley be Rooney. Nor Defoe. Jermain had a very impressive game too, but, like Owen, while you have the pace, you don't have the needed power of height of someone like Emile Heskey. And, with balls coming in from both right and left (now), too many chances could go all to waste.

And that's something I sort of feel didn't happen Wednesday night - we didn't make enough of the chances we got. We didn't push their defence hard enough to score more. I mean, it was an OWN GOAL that won it for us, in the end...
Fri 10/09/04 at 19:27
Regular
"0228"
I think Sven is doing well as manager. The games that England have lost under his management can't be blamed on him. The loss against Brazil in 2002 was due to freak free kick, against France, Zidane was given the chance to show his class in two moments that could never be repeated in a million years, and against Portugal you'd have thought David James would be able to save at least one penalty and then there's the referee but that's a different discussion altogether...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.