GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ditch the Gamecube Nintendo (43% drop in profit)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/01/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Nintendo who!"
I know some of you will point out the fact that, in spite of the loss compared to last year's earnings, Nintendo has still accrued a profit to the tune of $600,000,000. While that is a large sum of money it needs to be realized that the amount of that profit is not too far from being HALF of their previous year's profits. That means that Nintendo has that much money LESS to put into things like research and development for things like new games and new systems. Also, game companies are less likely to put their time and money into a company that posts losses as massive as 43%. If this trend continues, it could have some nasty repercussions. People could lose their jobs (I feel sure some heads have already rolled after the news of a profit loss this significant), for one thing. And companies will not want to invest in another company that will not post a meaningful profit for their efforts. So yeah, Nintendo still posted a profit. But when that profit is in the shadow of a previous year that was 43% HIGHER, then the 'profit' tends to lose significance. Just some things to consider.

The Gamecube is costing Nintendo big and sagging sales are a large part of their problem, ditch the deadwood before it's to late.
Page:
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:55
Regular
Hedfix rules the school, he's too popular to talk to geeks!!!

Haha, I said 'geek'¬
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:54
Regular
"8==="
Macintosh I think you and me should take on these geeks.

We rule!

I've already pre-ordered my PS3, 20 quid downpayment.
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:53
Regular
"8==="
Boo!

geek
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I'm a geek. I play a lot of games, online and offline. I laugh at geeky humour.

But I'm not so geeky I get scared of other people.

Consequently, I am not too geeky.
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:43
Regular
"8==="
Shut it geek.
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:41
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> Not at all.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

I love the sudden defence on this.

You're like a playground kid trying to justify himself to his peers

"I'm not a geek, honest!!"

Everyone is a 'geek', heck, people who use this forum are geeks.
Fri 11/02/05 at 11:43
Regular
"and PC user"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> *cough* GEEK *cough*

Not at all. I am the who said games were best on consoles! The text I just wrote is one reason why I think games are best on consoles - you dont have to upgrade to run the games. Other people on here on more in for PC gaming than me - just read the post.
Fri 11/02/05 at 11:38
Regular
*cough* GEEK *cough*
Fri 11/02/05 at 11:30
Regular
"and PC user"
So you can make your PC purchase more future proof by buying a top spec machine (i will come back to this point as it is not 100% true anyway). What most do, is buy the one they can afford - this was more of an issue 5 years ago. My computer is that age and it doesnt have a cd-rw drive or a dvd burner. Just 24X CD playback and 4X DVD playback. I bet for everyone of those 5 yar old top notch machines out there, you could find 3 other people who dont have that high spec on the same age pc.

Going back to the first point, with the advant of dvd burners, we are faced with new technology every 6 months. Like this....

DVD-R/RW
DVD+R/RW
DVD RAM

Speed of disc (1-4X speed, 8X speed, etc).

Dual Layer discs.

How the disc is made.

Ok, so at the top is the current format war. The only way to protect yourself is to get a +/- combi drive. But there are plenty of computer drives out there now that are not +/- combi.

The issue of disc speed. The original slowest blank dvd's were not too bad, as they would usually work in most drive's (players and recorders). But now we are getting 1-4X discs, 4X discs, and even 8X speed discs. Even if you get a burner tha can use these high speed discs, there's a 50/50 chance of it not working in another burner or player. Just today a made a movie disc on 4X discs that playback on one dvd player, but not the other. Did the same again using a 1-4X disc, and it worked fine in both. This will only get worse with the advant of faster blank discs.

Dual Layer is a good thing. Double the capacity. But existing burners will not work with them, unless they can be flashed. And older burners prolly wont be.

Even how the disc is produce. I mean the same spec disc, same format, same speed, but made say TDK and Maxell. Any slight change in production methods can result in one brand working and the other not.

And we have not even got HD-DVD and Blue Ray to deal with yet!
Thu 10/02/05 at 22:34
Regular
"thursdayton!"
mermoid wrote:
> 1) PC gaming does not suck
> 2) Console gaming is not better

Can't compete with that. :S You've won me over.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.