GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why does PS2 have no decent games?!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/05/01 at 17:56
Regular
I bought my PS2 soon after release and it only serves to bring continual disappointment. Games come in dibs and drabs with very few titles worth buying (SSX, Timesplitters).
Magazines only ever seem to FEATURE the next generation of must-have titles as the release dates just get put further and further back. So in the meantime, developers (crappy and reputable) put out average to awful games in order to exploit us, the consumers who are desparate for games. I do concede that some games are of a good standard. But I have bought a next generation console. I dont want good, I want the best!!!
I was most hopefull for Zone of the Enders, but just turned out to be an incredibly tedious blaster so I returned it (after playing the MGS2 demo to death!)

I bought my PS2 to play games on and treated the DVD as an extra. As it stands, it is completely the other way around.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Wed 02/05/01 at 17:56
I bought my PS2 soon after release and it only serves to bring continual disappointment. Games come in dibs and drabs with very few titles worth buying (SSX, Timesplitters).
Magazines only ever seem to FEATURE the next generation of must-have titles as the release dates just get put further and further back. So in the meantime, developers (crappy and reputable) put out average to awful games in order to exploit us, the consumers who are desparate for games. I do concede that some games are of a good standard. But I have bought a next generation console. I dont want good, I want the best!!!
I was most hopefull for Zone of the Enders, but just turned out to be an incredibly tedious blaster so I returned it (after playing the MGS2 demo to death!)

I bought my PS2 to play games on and treated the DVD as an extra. As it stands, it is completely the other way around.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Wed 02/05/01 at 18:17
Regular
"You've upset me"
Hmmm,

Now before I start I've got to point out that I'm Nintendo through and through. However unlike some other people I am open to persuasion.

Chris (that's my name as well)

The PS2 does have good games. SSX and TimeSplitters as you mentioned. But there are others. Z.O.E, everyone overlooked the game and bought it for the MSG2 demo, but it is in fact one hell of a good game!

Various others that even I have to admit are good are: Tekkan Tag, Shadow of Memories, Star Wars: Starfighter... There are more which I can't be bothered to list.

When consoles are first released it is *highly* unlikley that it will have an abundance of decent games straight away. The programmers are still getting the feel and getting to know what they can and can't do with the console. Remember when the N64 first came out? There were 3 decent games, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and Wave Race.

There is enevitably going to be a rough patch in every consoles life, when the games are unoriginal or are not all that good, it happens to every single one of them. It seems that the PS2 has just come about it's bad spot. But don't worry. This will end and the games will keep going up and up in quality.

Imagine it as swash and backwash (Too much Geography! :-D) The first 'Next Generation' console has just been released. Gamers everywhere are amazed at what it can do. A few months later, and those same people are starting to realise that their favourite console is in fact mortal. This comes as quite a shock and the gamers start to lash out at the machine, demanding better games quickly. As long as the PS2 survives this backlash then it will go on to prosper and will probably go down in history as one of the most successful consoles ever.

RBS
Wed 02/05/01 at 19:16
Regular
I personally think there is enough choice for PS2 already. There are many titles that are up to today`s standards. While they may not be especially ground breaking, many fine games have been created.

If you`re looking for fighting, then the games such as DOA2 and TTT are the best around. It is in fact worth owning both if you have the funds available, as they each boast their own special features. DOA2 allows the art of countering (and has some other features occurring in pairs that attract many men to the game) , whilst Tekken gives you the chance to perform artistic displays of mastery with the many specials and combos on offer. Either of them work well in 4 player mode as a bonus, each with the excellent Tag system.

For racing, Moto GP is excellent, and rightly deserves the title of best racer on PS2. It has extremely convincing handling, and a level of difficulty that has kept me going back to the game again and again. With 52 challenges to complete, with the added extra challenge of succeding in all of them and achieving gold, there is plenty to do. The level of commitment needed for every corner shows that it is a tough racer, and one that isn`t really let down by the lack of tracks. When you have to learn the courses that well, the number of tracks is balanced nicely at 5.

The sports section is also home to another fine title in the form of Madden`s footie. Though I do not have the game myself, I have heard many excellent reviews and comments about it from both magazines, and also regulars to this forum such as Wookiee Monster who owns the game.
I suppose SSX can also be placed in the sport category, though it really is in a class of its own, as you said in the initial post. I have never played a better game. I liked it so much I named myself after it! It posseses some excellent course design and also a perfect balance between trick work and racing.

I also happen to think that the space shooter Star Wars Starfighter is fantastic. It has a fair amount of missions to work through with bonus objectives to complete along the way. As you progress, additional options are opened up such as a 2 player mode, bonus missions, and even the ability to use different craft.

If you`re looking for a good RPG, then take a peek at Shadow of Memories. This game is one of the few games these days that is brave enough to try something new. The fact that you start the game getting killed has to mean its something different. The game is based around preventing your own death, and as a result, allows a large number of twists in the plot.

Now comes the FPS section (First Person Shooter). This is one of the most busy genres on PS2. It is acknowledged that TimeSplitters is excellent. In conjunction with a multi tap, it is the true multiplayer utopia. The speed of the game, even with four players and a host of zombies scrambling round the arenas, is awesome, showing what the PS2 is capable of.

However, it is not only TimeSplitters that is a worthwhile FPS on PS2. Both Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 are excellent also. The best way I can describe their differences is to say that Unreal is destined to be a one player affair, whilst TimeSplitters is the multiplayer choice. Quake 3 on the other hand is the combination of the two, making it the most rounded of the choices. Personally I`d opt for TimeSplitters, because there is always somebody to take part around university.

There is also the unique Fantavision. This should be considered the PS2 version of Tetris style action. It does possess some fine lighting effects (which you`d certainly hope for in a firework game), and also some addictive playability. Its worth giving this game a chance, even if you only hire it.

You mentioned Zone of the Enders as well, the king of the Mech selection. I agree that it may have been a slight disappointment, but that was only really due to its rather short one player game. You must not forget the emotional power that Hideo Kojima (Probably the best known producer on PS2 these days) manages to conjure up. It is also extremely beautiful to look at. Players should not be put off by the dark settings, as this game really does have some of the finest visuals on any console. Lastly, there is the multiplayer game, which also provides a great amount of fun. When you get two experienced players together, matches can become extremely tactical, and often take a as long as ten or fifteen minutes to complete!

So as you can see, in my opinion there are many more worthwhile choices around, many of which are unfairly dismissed.

However, you mentioned the "Features" in magazines. I agree to some extent that sometimes these extend a little too far into the future, with Metal Gear Solid 2 mentioned in every issue of every PS2 magazine, but as a buyer of PSM2, I have to say that the actual main features only usually extend a month or two in front. Last months was Crazy Taxi, soon to be released.

I think the main reason the features at the moment are based on games to be released in the future is that all consoles take a while to get going, so it may be a little while before the really awesome titles start to be released. As you know there are many fine titles on the horizon:

Gran Turismo 3 is the next huge release in my opinion. Already released in Japan, this racer promises to be the best of all time in its genre, and possibly the game that propels the PS2 into the position of being able to boast game titles that aren`t just great, but games that can be classed in the same way as Goldeneye was on the Nintendo 64. This racer will be joined later in the year by The Getaway, with its ultra realistic graphics, another title to really watch out for on PS2.

Adding to the FPS selection will be Red Faction. This is an exciting prospect as it has the revolutionary Geo-mod technology, allowing real time damage to walls, that will still be there the next time you play. This advance in realism should give players the chance to take more aggresive action when trying to get from one room to another.

There is also the next installment of the Final Fantasy series to come. Armed with a whole new cast, story and world to explore this should be a game nobody will want to miss. There are rumours that all the speech will have voice overs, instead of the usual boxes on screen, and even the idea that the ATB system may be left out in favour of a new more "Tekkenesque" style of battling. The potential this title holds in my opinion is greater than that of MGS2!

Also joining the pack is Sony`s answer to Zelda, in the form of Dark Cloud. This will hopefully be just as successful as Link and his "Fairy chums". Examining the videos on DVDs supplied with PSM2, I can say that visually this looks very impressive, though it will be some time before the playability of the game is exposed.

Others to watch out for include the next Resident Evil game, Devil May Cry, the Japanese slice `em up, Onimusha, the visually impressive "high flyers", Ace Combat 4 and Dropship, and also the unknown quantities that are Virtual Ocean, and the new game from Naughty Dog.

Last, but certainly not anywhere near least, is Metal Gear Solid 2. If you haven`t played the first, then go and do that now. If you have, then you know just how good these games can be. The demo available with Zone of the Enders, and the many pieces of footage shown have led to the most unbelievable amount of hype, which I really hope can be justified. If the game is a long version of the demo, with extra plot features, and many more places to visit, then I`ll be happy for years, and I`m sure many others will too.

Have I put your fears to rest?

Now I must get a new keyboard. The keys on this one have worn away! :-)
Wed 02/05/01 at 19:39
Regular
"You've upset me"
holy hell SSX!!!
Wed 02/05/01 at 20:22
Regular
Its probably not that long. I`d say less than 1500 words probably. I`ll put it into Microsoft Word, and see how long it was. Hold on a mo.
Wed 02/05/01 at 20:23
Regular
Words: 1423 Characters 11,587.

Unfortunately its quality not quantity, otherwise it might have been a good post. Never mind.
Wed 02/05/01 at 22:17
Your right, the PS2 doesn't have any absolutely stunning games (SSX an exception), but there are a lot of good games on the horizon, with GT3, Onimusha, Red Faction to name just a few.
And, yes, most of these games do get delayed, but that is only to make sure that we get the best that they can give us. Would you rather have a game that is full of bugs but still good or a game that is brilliant with no bugs. And this extra time could be being used to add extra features to the game to make it "the best".
The future is bright, even if the present isn't.
Thu 03/05/01 at 10:39
Knappa wrote:
> Your right, the PS2 doesn't have any absolutely stunning games (SSX
> an exception), but there are a lot of good games on the horizon,
> with GT3, Onimusha, Red Faction to name just a few.
And, yes,
> most of these games do get delayed, but that is only to make sure
> that we get the best that they can give us. Would you rather have a
> game that is full of bugs but still good or a game that is brilliant
> with no bugs. And this extra time could be being used to add extra
> features to the game to make it "the best".
The
> future is bright, even if the present isn't.

My point is that if Sony knew that developers would have trouble with the hardware, they should have put back the PS2 launch date to allow development time. (Not delay it, but just not quote such an unrealisticly early date) This way we would be able to play groundbreaking games at launch, and not have a £300 machine gathering dust while we wait for titles that will fully utilise the PS2's power. At the very least, you would have expected that Sony's own in-house team would have had time to produce killer games at launch.
I do agree, the future does look very bright, but I'm tired of waiting.
Thu 03/05/01 at 10:42
"High polygon count"
Chris1 wrote:
> and not have a £300 machine gathering dust

Mine certainly isn't - I hav 11 games, and I love every one of them. And with the excellent title due this year, I may very well have to give up work to have enough time to play them! :-)
Thu 03/05/01 at 10:44
"High polygon count"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> Mine certainly isn't - I hav 11 games, and I love every one
> of them. And with the excellent title due this year, I may very
> well have to give up work to have enough time to play them! :-)

Let's try that one again...

Mine certainly isn't - I havE 11 games, and I love every one of them. And with the excellent titleS due this year, I may very well have to give up work to have enough time to play them! :-)

There... that's better!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.