GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"another education rant from a scared sixth-former"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/08/04 at 14:22
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
In a few years, the A Level pass rate will be 100%. Universities will have to trawl through thousands of University-length essays in order to discern which students should be accepted, because a grade of all As just isn't good enough to guarantee a place anymore. Despite this, students and teachers all say that the bad press A Levels get is demoralising to the people working so hard to get the good grades...can't they just admit that it's getting easier? Modules mean that one bad day for a test won't wreck your grade, which is something I definitely agree with; but spouting this fact every single time doesn't change the figures we hear every August. A pass in A Levels is a grade from A to E. How can an E grade be considered a success? Everybody says that dismissing sets of grades like four As is an insult to students, but that simply isn't true. It's not the students' fault, they can only pass what they are sitting. But when you can get the perfect, maximum score and still have to jump through another hoop to get your desired University placement something is wrong with the system. Chris Woodhead mixes his stance on education with his stance on politics, but his ideas seem to be the ones that a lot of the public would like to see implemented. Indeed, perhaps the best suggestion is to simply go back to the old GCE and O Level system that worked just fine for the last generation.

And then there's University itself. I listened to a good program on the radio last night where the subject of learning for the sake of learning came up a lot. University is clearly an incredible experience that millions find improves their life - people walk out after a degree as a different person. But this option is becoming less viable every year, as more obstacles are put in the way of potential graduates. My year will be the first to get the new tuition fees. The sliding scale system basically makes it pointless to get a degree, because any improved wages you might earn are simply skimmed to pay for the degree itself. As the years of quota-filling catches up with the country, we will end up with over half of people going to University, but nobody able to screw in a lightbulb or fix a tap. Nowadays it is easier to walk into a highly paid job after a vocational course in plumbing than it is to get any sort of job with a good degree. People are coming out with these qualifications but without basic skills, such as the ability to fill out an application form. So what's the point of getting a degree anymore, when it is becoming devalued and even unhelpful?

I'm getting very worried about my 'grand plan' of getting to University, finishing with good results and getting a job I enjoy. And to make matters worse, I might be expected to write several thousand words of an essay to submit in my application, along with three years' worth of work. Perhaps I should go into mechanics.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:11
Regular
Basically, if you're really posh you'll get into Cambridge, and if you come from a really poor background and get straight A's you'll get into Cambridge.

If you're an ordinary middle class kid from the suburbs you don't stand a chance, they don't get to tick any 'look how we've enabled the underprivliged to have a better life' boxes with them.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:08
Regular
"SOUP!"
Cyclone wrote:
> I think you'll find businesses LOVE people who can speak a foreign
> language - multi-nationals?
>
> I get what you're saying, but I think you're undervaluing some
> courses. Of course most of the time it's 'how you learn' rather than
> 'what' you learn that gets you places.

I guess theres some stuff I did overlook - but subjects like Media (that are enjoying rising popularity) do NOT open doors for the majority of postgraduates.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Memorandum wrote:
> [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3577504.stm[/URL]
>
> I reckon that's a fairer reflection on how 'easy' A-levels are.

That makes some interesting points. I never really thought about the fact that A-Levels are the only 'real' piece of news quite often, and so face scrutiny. And that there are actually, comparatively, very, very few people doing A-Levels. Etc.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:06
Regular
"SOUP!"
Memo's link offers a much clearer explaination
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:05
Regular
"the burning sky"
Paradox: wrote:
> What again, again! Seems I've been lied to by the wretched system.
> f**king stupid higher educational advisors at my school told me that
> oxbridge is an option "financial unviable" to us because we
> go to a state school attended by working class people.

I used to go to a state school and my Sixth Form is located on the site of that school, but we've never been told that! Mostly we've been pushed to at least apply for one of them (the ones with high grades). But we are one of the top Sixth Forms in out area. Tho' we've never had proper Careers Advice or anything...
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:02
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Paradox: wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
>
> What again? Cambridge and Oxford aren't private schools. The private
> education system rewards wealth - these unis are archaic and stiff,
> but they're not only for the rich. Two of my friends are going to
> Cambridge - cost is the same as any other uni.....and they went to
> state schools.
>
> What again, again! Seems I've been lied to by the wretched system.
> f**king stupid higher educational advisors at my school told me that
> oxbridge is an option "financial unviable" to us because we
> go to a state school attended by working class people.

You're from Leeds, what do you expect?

I said they were archaic. ;)
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think you'll find businesses LOVE people who can speak a foreign language - multi-nationals?

I get what you're saying, but I think you're undervaluing some courses. Of course most of the time it's 'how you learn' rather than 'what' you learn that gets you places.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:01
Regular
"the burning sky"
Talking about extra-curricular activities, i'm actaully quite worried. I think i need to get work-experience and do other stuff, else theres a chance I wont get into my course, despite me being a straight A student. And then theres the pressure being put on me to try and get into Oxford or Cambridge. One of my friends trying to get into Cambridge, does the DofE award (Duke of Edinburgh Award) and that involves loads of extra curricular activites, whereas i have very little. Does anyone else worry about this?
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:00
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3577504.stm[/URL]

I reckon that's a fairer reflection on how 'easy' A-levels are.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:00
Regular
"SOUP!"
Cyclone wrote:

> What again? Cambridge and Oxford aren't private schools. The private
> education system rewards wealth - these unis are archaic and stiff,
> but they're not only for the rich. Two of my friends are going to
> Cambridge - cost is the same as any other uni.....and they went to
> state schools.

What again, again! Seems I've been lied to by the wretched system. f**king stupid higher educational advisors at my school told me that oxbridge is an option "financial unviable" to us because we go to a state school attended by working class people.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.