GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Trogan Horse Dialer"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/08/04 at 15:37
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Ok... so I've got one of these and every now and then it'll start dialing up to some number, to which I usually turn off the PC asap. What I really need to know are what are the consequences of a dialer (i.e. cost, damage to computer etc.), how I can track the dialer down and any programs that can deal with the problem.

Thanks for your time.

Forest Fan
Sun 22/08/04 at 00:02
Regular
"\\"
Edgy wrote:
> Unless you keep the modem connected still.

I don't know why i laughed so much. But i did.
Sun 22/08/04 at 09:50
Regular
I have broadband. I'm speaking to you through broadband at the moment.
Sun 22/08/04 at 10:02
Regular
Right, Are you comfortable with opening you PC?

It's not that difficult, just open it, find where your old dial-up modem is (check the "white" slots near the bottom, you should have about 3 or 4) one should be the modem, Pull the telephone wire out of the back and remove the card.

No more dialling from then on!
Sun 22/08/04 at 10:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Forest Fan wrote:
> I have broadband. I'm speaking to you through broadband at the moment.

Do as Gamesfreak said and remove your old modem, or just unplug the phone line from the modem.

If your on broadband and have no dial up modem connected to the phone line or connected to your PC then your fine. With ADSL you connected via your phone socket, but its a direct connection to your exchange and your ISP, you can not dial anywhere else.
Sun 22/08/04 at 16:19
Regular
"Back For Good"
If those spyware program links below didn't pick it up enter "Stinger" in yahoo/google. This might sort it.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:40
"High polygon count"
No need to disconnect the line or remove the modem. Just disable the modem in your hardware settings.
Sun 22/08/04 at 19:42
Regular
"the burning sky"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> No need to disconnect the line or remove the modem. Just disable the
> modem in your hardware settings.

True, but surely if he has BB, he wont still be paying for Dial-Up, so whats the point in still havin the comp connected to the phone line?
Sun 22/08/04 at 20:44
"High polygon count"
Tomoose wrote:
> True, but surely if he has BB, he wont still be paying for Dial-Up,
> so whats the point in still havin the comp connected to the phone
> line?

I've got broadband also, but the modem still comes in handy.

Occasionally I use it to send faxes. And then there's always the odd occasion when the broadband service is down and I still need net access - in which case I use Freeola dial-up.
Wed 08/09/04 at 16:26
Regular
OK, so I got a bill today of £40 for the dialer, which isn't nearly as bad as it could have been, so I'm somewhat relieved. Some computer bloke should be coming round, but has anyone got any more programs/ideas or settings for me to try for the time being. Thanks in advace.
Wed 08/09/04 at 16:38
Regular
"Freeola Support"
If you have XP I recommend you get Service Pack 2 as it has some pretty good measures to stop things like this happening.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.