GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The name's Station, PlayStation."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/04/01 at 14:55
Regular
Yeah, the first Sony machine had an original name. The PlayStation. I think that Sony were too lazy to think up a different name for their second console so they just called it the PlayStation2. I think they should of been much original. Look at Nintendo. At present they have the N64, and their next 128-bit console will be called GameCube.

Sega released the Saturn, then the Dreamcast. Both original names.

What I ask you now is what do you think the future consoles will be called?

Sony: ?
Nintendo: ?
Microsoft: ?
Sega (If they do make another console): ?

For Sony’s next machine, please don’t say PlayStation3! :-)
Sun 29/04/01 at 14:55
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Yeah, the first Sony machine had an original name. The PlayStation. I think that Sony were too lazy to think up a different name for their second console so they just called it the PlayStation2. I think they should of been much original. Look at Nintendo. At present they have the N64, and their next 128-bit console will be called GameCube.

Sega released the Saturn, then the Dreamcast. Both original names.

What I ask you now is what do you think the future consoles will be called?

Sony: ?
Nintendo: ?
Microsoft: ?
Sega (If they do make another console): ?

For Sony’s next machine, please don’t say PlayStation3! :-)
Sun 29/04/01 at 14:57
Regular
Nintendo and Sega released some other consoles as well... :0)
Sun 29/04/01 at 14:59
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
hmm... u know before the PS2 was announced as the official name, some mags began to call the console the Playstation 2, while waiting for the official line. Sony then held a press conference DEMANDING that mags call the next console the NGPS (Next Generation PlayStation). They said they had made a name (TBA) that incorperatted the original Playstation, and somethiong about the future of the console. Hence they called it.... Playststion 2. Idiots got paid to think this one up (they claim it took 3 months, but came naturally in the end! Of course it came *@*/-! naturally!)

Sonic
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Nintendo and Sega released some other consoles as well... :0)

but can ANYONE anme them all! There have been 10 (depending on how strict u are!!!!!) NAME THEM! my challenge to u all!!!!

Sonic
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
SonicRav wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> Nintendo and Sega released some other
> consoles as well... :0)

but can ANYONE anme them all! There
> have been 10 (depending on how strict u are!!!!!) NAME THEM! my
> challenge to u all!!!!

Sonic

By SEGA that is! DOH!

Sonic
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
(Don;t answer that question in this topic... i've set up a new one especially)

Sonic
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:41
Regular
I can name all (or most anyway) of Nintendo's Machines:

Game & Watch (Handheld)
Nintendo Gamewatches (Watches with games)
Famicon (NES)
Super Famicon (SNES)
Gameboy
Gamegirl
Virtualboy
N64
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Gamecube
Pocket Pikachu
Pocket Pikachu Color

Not to mention all the arcade machines that were out at the time of Donkey Kong (I've played the Arcade original version)
Sun 29/04/01 at 16:03
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Okay, names for the future consoles

Nintendo: 'Serial Killer' (Nintendo attempt to look for a new image)

Sony: Sony Entertainment Xtra (Sony launch with unprecedentedly successful marketing slogan: 'Do you want SEX?')

Microsoft: 'Microsoft Gaming Utility' (or some other such dull name)

Sega: 'Megatapeplayer' (flummoxes gamers, as the machine does not containg a tape playing device)
Sun 29/04/01 at 16:16
Regular
and by that time....VenomByte will have renamed himself after the Pokémon Venomoth!
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:36
I don't get why peoples have such a big problem with console names, its stupid!
Does the fact that Nintendo's next gen console is called 'Game Cube' somehow make it good? Would it have been a better/worse console if they had retained the name 'Dolphin'?

And what is the problem with 'Playstation 2' Ok granted its not terribly original but what difference does that make?

Surely Nintendo's upgrade from 'Nintendo Entertainment System' to 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System' wasn't terribly original either!

And before some of you rush to tell me that it was called 'Super Famicom' in Japan/U.S or whatever surely that underlines my point, the console was the same.

I don't know, sometimes you guys just confuse me!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.