GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The best action film(s)scene(s) to date?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/04/01 at 19:18
Regular
There are so many action films in the market toaday, but which are the films that are the best of the best. Which action scene or film would you place as the best in the market today.

"Face Off" (Nik Cage, Travolta)

"After killing "Travolter's" son Travolta is after Castor Troy for revenge and he finally catches him. He is then offered a mission to find where he has placed a bomb in the city, in order to go he must switch faces with Troy. After the switch Troy wakes up and gets the surgery done on him, he then burns the connections and Travolta is stuck in prison"

"The best action scene would have to be in the house of Troys friends when the police raid and then a giant gun battle begins"

"Gladiator" (Russel Crowe)

"Russel crowe plays the part as Maximus who is forced into becoming a slave after Ceaser dies and he leaves the Legion. Known as the Spaniard by his fans he is forced to become a gladiaor and win the crowd so he can get his freedom. After his wife and son are killed Maximus vows to kill the emoror as revenge"

"The fight in the colosium for the second to final time when they as a team take down a massive army"

In my opinion these two are the greatest action scenes to date and i am sure there are many others.

What are yours?
Mon 30/04/01 at 18:50
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
when i was saying best film of the 90s i was talking about ACTION FILMS cos thats what the bloody topic is!!! I thought that was self explanatory!!
Mon 30/04/01 at 18:42
"Moderator"
Yep, that post is easily a worthy filmaday winner, congratulations in advance NorthenNut, what a great post!

'(.)'
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:28
I am writing to win my first DVD and hopefully not my last!
the best action scences on DVD is off of the legend of Druken Master staring Jackie Chan!
the fight scence with the axe gang are great, and the best action scence I have ever seen is were Jackie fights the "bad guys" in the steel mill near the end. the action lasts about 10 minutes from entering the mill to clearing it all out of "bad guys". its a great film and you all have to see it to believe! if i misspelled any words, its not my fault its the keyboard, i think they poured glue in it!
Mon 30/04/01 at 14:58
"Moderator"
When i said American Beauty I was giving the exaple of a film made in the 90's which is way better then The Matrix. and You say the Matrix is one of the films FILMS (meaning all genres) of the 90's. i disagree, i gave a list of loads of films which are higher then this. But to say it is one of the best action films of the 90's is justified.

!!But thats all it is... AN Action film, and what is an action film?, big guns big explosions, not neccessarilary good acting, not a greta script, special effects etc...!!

the only exception of this rule is T1 and T2, which are some of the most original films ever made.

And, on your point that there are no original films ever made? where do you think films began? or where they just 'there'?
what is the oldest film you've seen? The matrix?
maybe not at the moment with films like 'what women want' and 'Miss ConG******y', but look back in history, if your mind can open that far, and just look at some films made in the 70's, then say that there is no such thing as an origianl film...

'(.)'
Sun 29/04/01 at 22:03
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
>But to say The Matrix is not "ONE" of the best films of >the last decade is an insult to the world of film

i said that ^^ notice how i said it was ONE of the best films. Not THE best film of the 90s. Yes Terminator 1 & especially 2 was good - that is another action film that escaped my mind that is also action film at it's best. American Beauty is also a good film. But its not an ACTION FILM which is what this topic is all about.

you also say that Matrix has ripped off certain elements of films. Don't all films do this? It's an ongoing cycle. Film directors take the best elements from films and try to make them better. So show me a film that is 100% original. You still haven't backed up your argument that the Matrix's plot is original. Please let me see some evidence to brush that matter aside. The whole idea of films is to learn from other's mistakes.
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:29
First of all I think its really stupid to start this topic when there's 'top action films' already!
To say The Matrix though made guns fights more interesting and 'showed' us how guns fights should look is absolute rubbish! Listen people there's a director called John Woo, look at his back catalogue of pistol shooting gems (Hard Boiled, Broken Arrow, Face Off, MI:2) he revolutionised pistol action scenes which the matrix and films like it ripped off.
The old slow motion when guys are reloading, diving or entering a room to pull out a gun is a Woo direction which has been continually copied. Also the silent parts of action where the viewer can hear empty shells dropping on the floor and lowd re-loading.
John Woo made shot guns cool just watch hard boild's explosive action with pump action magic and tension. But this is the real thing these newer gun slinging films can not match Woo on, creating a tense atmosphere with his audience counting bullets and ammo for both the heroes and the bad guys. Come on you new that NEo like god who can run up walls wasn't going to get shot or die didn't you?
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:14
"Moderator"
Some more 90's films which spring to mind... Shawshank redemption, The Usual Suspects, Silence of the lambs, L.A confidential, Fargo. How can you say the MAtrix is 'better' then these. Because it "influenced Charlies Angles"? wow! what an achievment! you want to look at how many of these films have influenced film makers everywhere?

'(.)'
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:07
"Moderator"
Maybe it's one of the best ACTION films of the past decade. But look at some of ther other films released during the 90's;

GoodFellas, Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, basically the entire Tarantino collection - bar maybe True Romance- , Terminator 2 which i rate much higher then the Matrix, SEven, FIght Club,Schindlers list, AMerican Beauty... need i go on?

To say that the MAtrix is one of the best films of the 90's let alone ever, is ridiculous. As an action film, maybe its in the top 20 or so, especially considering that action films as a genre only really began to evolve 15 or so years ago.

And as one of the all time greatest films? you have gut to be jokering, i dont even want to list the hunderds of films which are more engrossing, original and innovative then the Matrix.

But, as an out-and-out Action film, which relies on special effects and glossy acting, then it fits the bill. but never, never can you justify that The Matrix is the best film of the 90's

'(.)'
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:37
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
How can any of you dish the Matrix?! IT showed us the wonders of bullet time. A completely original and beautiful thing that made gun fights even the more enjoyable as you could see the bullets in their paths and how close they came to hitting flesh. If you look at any other film with guns like in Face Off its basically gun shot and run to the side. Just sounds. This is what made the Matrix's action scenes so enjoyable.

It wasn't that corny. "Human is the world's cancer" was quite a nice way of putting it. Humans damaging the Earth like cancer damages a human. These little bits are good for the film.

Yes Face Off was a very good film. The whole mistaken identity situation where someone can't prove his identity and is lost in the world was a good original plot and I won't dish that film in anyway.

Gone in 60 seconds was a thrilling film but like you I wouldn't rate it as brilliant. Some of the performances were good, the speedy cars were nice to watch and there was a nice blend of action.

The reason we are all arguing about which films are best is because we all enjoy different sorts of films. All these are good films.

But to say The Matrix is not one of the best films of the last decade is an insult to the world of film. The Matrix has set the new way to do action scenes take Charlies Angels for example which tried to recapture the action scenes in the Matrix.Why do you think they did this? Because they were the best. Because nothing can beat them. I predict that soon many other films will follow the example set by the Matrix.
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:00
"Moderator"
Gone in 60 seconds? more like finished in 60 seconds, aha aha ahahahaha...

'(.)'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.