GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Weddings - A Big Waste of Cash?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/06/04 at 10:55
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
A subject that is close to my heart and my purse at the moment. I'm not asking for any advice from anyone. I will be getting married, and it will end up costing somewhere between 5 and 8 grand for that one day.

Obviously I'm being frugal. From different sources I've found average wedding price stated as anywhere from £12,000 to £18,000. I'm hoping to be around £6,000. But still, when else would you spend that much money on celebrating one day? and is it worth it? I'm interested in being a married woman, not in having a huge party where everything is calculated to impress wealthier relatives and friends. I've suggested having a small wedding with My Mum and Dad and Grandma, and The Ogre's Mum, Dad, Grandie and Sister, but nothing doing, the Ogre keeps saying oh but we have to invite [insert random relative/friend/stranger]. My Mum and Dad keep saying oh but we have to invite [insert random parent's friends I've never met].

but my mind just boggles at the amount of money we will be spending. If the wedding lasted for 10 hours, that's £600 an hour. That's £10 a minute. Thats stupid money. I could buy a CD for every minute for 10 hours for that money. I could buy a car, or have 10% deposit (for this area) on a very nice house.

Still I have the final laugh, spoilt brat (and only child) that I am, my parents are paying for it.
Tue 22/06/04 at 15:20
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Mr Snuggly wrote:

> You only get one wedding, so you might as well make it one to
> remember.

Many people get married more than once, though I agree with your philosophy: make the most of it. However, even though the wedding is being paid for by the parents, the money spent on the wedding could be better spent elsewhere. There is a charity I know of which supports a hospice for orphaned Bears and Monkeys, who are also radioactive and spend their days crying tears that melt their skin. The animals are cared for by handicapable kids who are also orphans, and have incurable diseases such as baldness. The kids are looked after by Elephants, who have been trained by Tibetan Monks. Most of the Elephants have no trunks and only three legs. They body parts were sold off to a private collector in order to raise funds to remove the nails and broken glass from the beds in which the kids sleep in, with the animals. There are also some sad donkeys.

Send money to: The sagacious one world for us all foundation
Tue 22/06/04 at 04:07
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> I work to make money, and I make money to enjoy myself. What's the
> point of working your whole life if you can't spend money on things
> that matter to you? What would you rather do - die with a large bank
> account, or with a head full of wonderful memories?
>
> You only get one wedding, so you might as well make it one to
> remember. Worry about the consequences later.

I say make the money, don't let the money make you. As for worrying about the consequences of indulging in the occassion, ehh...think about that after the honeymoon. :P The most modest of weddings are the most beautiful. The most important part of it all, is what happens up there at the alter.
Mon 21/06/04 at 20:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Pay for it (or your parents - sorted) if you wish. It's only one day, and conversely that makes it both a waste and yet a reason. Personally, I'd consider marriage itself more important than watching 100 people get drunk, although both have their merits.
Mon 21/06/04 at 20:38
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I work to make money, and I make money to enjoy myself. What's the point of working your whole life if you can't spend money on things that matter to you? What would you rather do - die with a large bank account, or with a head full of wonderful memories?

You only get one wedding, so you might as well make it one to remember. Worry about the consequences later.
Mon 21/06/04 at 19:48
"period drama"
And no waiting around, either.

Ceremony - Photos - Food - Exit.
No more than 5 minutes in between. And the food is optional.
Mon 21/06/04 at 19:46
"period drama"
The thing I hate about weddings is all the pointless people that get invited - your mother's friend's son's girlfriend. Yes, that makes sense.

Without them, the show would be more special.
Mon 21/06/04 at 18:54
Regular
I don't see what's wrong with an extended trip to an exotic destination, a small ceremony with a few select family members and close friends, followed by your honeymoon spent in glorious and beautiful locations. A couple I know did that for their wedding, it would certainly be what I would be thinking of.

Surely that's much more fun, and romantic, than hundreds of people all crammed into one small sweaty building, talking crap all day, just for the sake of you and your partners union.

It's much more personal and romantic *washes mouth out with soap* the other way, and far, far cheaper.
Mon 21/06/04 at 18:44
Regular
10 hours ?

Are you planning on making the rings yourselves, on the day ?

(That'll include meal and reception, doesn't it? D'oh.)

I dread the thought of getting married, if it cost anything like that kind of money I'd feel I was being forced into utterly wasting it, working for months to pay for that one pointless day. Maybe at the time I'll feel different, but I imagine I'd resent the missus. Which isn't a great note to start the rest of our lives on!

Guest lists - I don't know.. I'd want more than just my immediate family there - other bits of family and close friends, but definitely no hangers on.
Mon 21/06/04 at 17:19
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Pop down the register office with two rings from chritmas crackers.

Invite Random Witnesses.

Cycle to the chippy for the reception

Cycle home and consumate.

Sorted.
Mon 21/06/04 at 17:18
Regular
It's just another example of our western societies hunger for over indulgance, IMO.

£30,000?

RID-IC-U-LOUS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.