GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Going to see Jersey Girl tomorrow"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/06/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Yep.

Hope it's good.
Wed 23/06/04 at 23:54
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> I don't think 'selling out' is in the man's vocabulary.

But soon, "SR and they're cheep-cheep prices", will be.
Wed 23/06/04 at 23:51
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Kevin Smith hasn't sold out, I don't get where that comes from. It's obvious that Jersey Girl is a very personal movie, written when he himself was becoming a father for the first time, so it's little if anything to do with writing a generic romantic parenthood comedy that'll please the masses. He's never been the most imaginative guy working in the industry and seemingly can only write with what he identifies with, hence movies about p!ssing off convenience store customers.

Granted, the film's not up to his normal standard, but it's charming enough in its own way; it's predictable and clumsy enough, but endearing the way that all his movies are, in that the characters are so genuinely written that you identify with them from the very beginning. I don't think 'selling out' is in the man's vocabulary.
Wed 23/06/04 at 23:05
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
POP
Mon 21/06/04 at 11:21
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Yeah you did see everything coming, but I still think it was an impressive film. His films have never really been too much about the plot though, have they?

The style of dialouge was still there and the Will Smith scene reminded me of the Stan Lee bit in Mallrats.

Like I said: Defiantly not his best but still worth a watch as it's an enjoyable, entertaining film.
Mon 21/06/04 at 09:16
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Very predictable, formulaic romantic comedy, right down to the final scene where Affleck's rushing to see his kid when... oh no!... he has to get out of his car and run! All it was missing at the end was a ghostly J-Lo smiling down from the clouds giving Ben the thumbs up.

Saying that, I still enjoyed it and it had its moments.

"Punch it, Chewie!"
Mon 21/06/04 at 07:50
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Doesn't float my boat. I've heard from fanatical fans that he has sold out. Its too clumsy with some appalling dialog "Mummy really set daddy’s world on fire" for a romcom, and too mainstream for a "Kevin Smith" movie and not funny.

*shrug* perhaps on dvd, but I’m not running out to se this.
Sun 20/06/04 at 21:53
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Been away so haven't had a chance to give my opinion.

Well, I loved it. That's right, loved it. Call me a girl or a gay if you want but I thought it was fantastic. Too tired to really go into detail on it but it was so good that it made me feel sad when Jenny From The Block dies. Although this is his most serious film, there's still plenty of laughs (the whole Fresh Prince thing...Genius!) and don't be put off by the 12A certificate, there's a whole lot of bad language and adult humour in there.

Smith hasn't sold out with Jersey Girl. What he's done here is make a film that proves he is a filmmaker that deserves respect; not just from his loyal fans, but film goers everywhere. His use of the camera has improved and he's still one of the funniest and most exciting directors around.

Don't be one of those idiots who think it'll be crap and just for girls because of Benifer's involvement in it. Trust me on this one people, it's worth a watch. Much more so than most of the junk around that a lot of you feed your eyes with (Van Helsing etc). It's defiantly not his most enjoyable film and is by no means my favourite, but hey a bad Kevin Smith film is still better than a lot of the other films out there.

And yes Lee is in it briefly. Very briefly but he's there.
Thu 17/06/04 at 20:06
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Jay and Silent Bob aren't in it, which despite what Kevin Smith thinks are the funniest thing about his films.

Plus boring Affleck and J-Lo are in it, whoooo.

This is soo gonna be a chick flick with one or two nob jokes.

Is Jason Lee in it? I can't remember.
Thu 17/06/04 at 15:39
Regular
"Insert Gently"
It looks awful
Thu 17/06/04 at 14:32
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Apparently it's a fell good comedy by numbers generic sapfest.
>
> I think I'll give it a miss and look forward to Fletch.

You'll be waiting a long time. He's got his secret, small film coming next. That's what I'm really looking forward to, it's actually already one of my most anticipated films. Plus he's still got to finish writing The Green Hornet and possibly direct it.

I've got quite high hopes for Jersey Girl. By no means am I expected to see Smith's best piece of work. I'm just expecting an entertaining hour and just over a half of entertainment from one of my favourite directors.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.