GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Paying for web site creation??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/02/04 at 23:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Just wanted to know what seems to be the average costs out there for a company to design a website for a business.

I'm guessing they provide everything from getting you the domain and e-mail addresses, creating, uploading and maintaining the content of the site too.

I know you get different standards, so how much would something basic cost compared to more advanced and better looking sites?

I've made a few basic sites as part of uni or just for personal use and a few folk have asked if I would be able to make them one, also a few friends of the family have been looking into getting a company to produce a website and I just wanted to see what they should be paying or how much I could earn for making them up something basic.

Thanks if you can provide some more info.
Mon 23/02/04 at 19:50
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
AliBoy wrote:
> Thanks, I'm going to find out which companies they were going to go
> to for their web site design (probably somewhere local) and see what
> their designs are like and see if I could produce something similar
> or better.
>
> That way I could save them a bit of dosh and also earn a bit for me
> at the same time. :-)

My trick is to go to a prospective client with concepts of "what I can do for your site". All these need to be is visuals backed up with some discussion about how your changes will improve their site.

There's more to it that design though. Throw in things about improving user experience, re-coding to improve search rankings (CSS is great for this), increasing the accessibility of the site to a wider audience. Sometimes it takes more than "I can make it look prettier!".
Mon 23/02/04 at 18:43
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thanks, I'm going to find out which companies they were going to go to for their web site design (probably somewhere local) and see what their designs are like and see if I could produce something similar or better.

That way I could save them a bit of dosh and also earn a bit for me at the same time. :-)
Mon 23/02/04 at 17:43
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
lcarus wrote:
> I take it you don't type very quick then?

lol! Most of the budgets go into in house solutions for content storage and delivery as well as hardware. Then there's the project management costs, testing costs, budgets for content update and DB maintainence. For design work alone, we charge £230 - £400 a day (for me!).

Indeed, don't type very quickly, but then content tends to be supplyed by CMS inputted by 3rd parties.;~)
Mon 23/02/04 at 17:36
I take it you don't type very quick then?
Mon 23/02/04 at 17:32
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Where I work we charge from £500 for vaery basic site with hosting, URL and Search engine submission to £1,000,000 for highend Custom CMS based products. Most expensive site I've worked on was billed for £68,000.

Personally I just charge a flat rate by the hour based on the content.
Mon 23/02/04 at 15:14
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It could vary from them getting a template at £30 or a custom made site at £1000.

Top quality stuff here though:

http://www.glenwebdesign.co.uk/
http://www.arn1e.co.uk/webdesign.htm

I'm making a few sites for free at the moment. It keeps me occupied and I've got a few good little offers from people too about it.
Mon 23/02/04 at 14:35
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I am guessing that they would just be looking for a few pages that display a bit about what the company does,where they are based, more detailed look at the kind of thing they do and contact information. That kind of thing.

Nothing like selling anything online.
Mon 23/02/04 at 14:28
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It depends, professional firms charge thousands for fairly simple yet incredibly attractive sites, some other people charge less for the same standard. Then you get people who charge loads of complete piles of crap.

If you say what the site will involve it may help...
Sun 22/02/04 at 23:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Just wanted to know what seems to be the average costs out there for a company to design a website for a business.

I'm guessing they provide everything from getting you the domain and e-mail addresses, creating, uploading and maintaining the content of the site too.

I know you get different standards, so how much would something basic cost compared to more advanced and better looking sites?

I've made a few basic sites as part of uni or just for personal use and a few folk have asked if I would be able to make them one, also a few friends of the family have been looking into getting a company to produce a website and I just wanted to see what they should be paying or how much I could earn for making them up something basic.

Thanks if you can provide some more info.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.