GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Google increase text/font size and search box! ...and mess up Toolbar!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/09/09 at 17:44
"Are you sure?"
I'm sure most people would have noticed that in the last few days Google have made changes to increase the size of both the 'search box' and text/font.

From the official Google blog:
Now s-u-p-e-r sized!
Our homepage and on our search results pages, our search box is growing in size. Although this is a very simple idea and an even simpler change, we're excited about it — because it symbolizes our focus on search and because it makes our clean, minimalist homepage even easier and more fun to use. The new, larger Google search box features larger text when you type so you can see your query more clearly. It also uses a larger text size for the suggestions below the search box, making it easier to select one of the possible refinements.

IMO perhaps Google could have mentioned the change on their home page as I can see many posts (elsewhere) where people are questioning it and there are some duff answers about!

So thought it was worth a post here informing people of the change :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola Instant Site
Wed 18/05/11 at 12:20
"Are you sure?"
Google Toolbar update
Happy to report that from this morning my Gmail button has now started to behave itself! It remains displayed on the toolbar along with my other buttons and the More>> text link has gone.

I'm running Google Toolbar version: 7.0.1710.2246/en (GGLG) on IE8/XP.

Looks like Google do listen to their feedback :¬)

Now if they could just return the text size to normal I'd be happy...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 01/05/11 at 17:41
"Are you sure?"
In the last week or so Google have started rolling out their latest version of the Google ToolBar - for me they've missed the target again :¬(

I really love Google but do wish they would sort out the wrinkles with some of their changes!

I'm currently using Google ToolBar version Version: 7.0.1614.2212/en (with IE8/XP).

When my toolbar automatically updated last week I wasn't too impressed with the latest improvements.

I want to permanently display the PageRank, GMail buttons and others, NOT hide them! You can't share Google's toolbar with other toolbars so Google's new 'streamlined' look just leaves blank space in my browser.

After some poking about I've learnt that you can get your buttons back. Google have written this page to explain how to do it: Where did my buttons go?

I'm not sure all users will be able/bother to find this!

Unfortunately for me this only half works. I've added a Google custom Gmail button to my toolbar - but the above instructions from Google don't work! Opening a new tab or browser session drops the Gmail button - Grrrrrrrr

That leaves me with an irritating More>> text displayed in the toolbar rather than just showing the (shorter!)Gmail icon I want to see!!!

The other irritation that Google have forced on people is that they now also 'supersize' and 'bold' the text in the toolbar search box.
I haven't found an option to stop this from happening...

I already know of one user that has dumped the new v7 Google Toolbar as they aren't happy with these changes.

Hopefully Google will listen to the feedback from their users on this. Or if anyone knows a way to fix these problems please reply to this post.

Google have included their 'Instant Search' (not for me!) and more language translation options with this latest ToolBar.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 13/09/09 at 17:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I'll be honest with you, most of what I know is taught by McLong's master guide. He ahs a knack of explaining things simply.
Sun 13/09/09 at 17:10
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> Haha morning Sir! How fares your morning?
>
> As a note hope you don't mind, had a little look at some of your
> sites. Nice, and appears you know a little more about SEO then
> you let on :P
>
> Google? What will they do next?

Hi Warhunt - busy busy busy...

Thanks for that :¬)

NB. I can assure you over the years I've tried to pass on most of the SEO tips I've picked up. I even tried producing my own IntsantPro SEO tips post before you lot did an official one! ;¬)

As I've said to people in the past it isn't 'rocket science', all you need to do is read and implement the advice the Search Engines provide.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 13/09/09 at 11:12
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah I noticed this, first thing I did was check my browser font size. At least now I know what happened and it wasn't just my computer doing something random.
Sun 13/09/09 at 09:28
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Haha morning Sir! How fares your morning?

As a note hope you don't mind, had a little look at some of your sites. Nice, and appears you know a little more about SEO then you let on :P

Google? What will they do next?
Sun 13/09/09 at 09:23
"Are you sure?"
OBVIOUSLY MY GOOGLE SEARCH PAGE (oops, sorry I was in Google 'special needs' mode) still has normal size font and buttons! www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/search ;¬)
Sun 13/09/09 at 09:09
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Amazing how something so insignificant (IMO) can cause such as big stir.

And also why Google did it in the first place. All just seems a bit pointless... The original action and the backlash.

And maybe they were listening to their users when they made the font larger. Can't believe they would have done it without any of the "views" saying they couldn't read the text or something.

One guy was even threatening legal action by the way after he screwed up his monitor by fiddling with it :S
Sun 13/09/09 at 09:03
"Are you sure?"
It will be interesting to see if Google have a 'rethink' over this! Or at least give users the option to change the font size back to 'normal'.

There seems to be quite a backlash - some comparing it to when Coke brought out 'new coke' which went down like a lead balloon!

People have already written scripts for FireFox to put things back to the classic look.

Expect a new option to put things back soon - if Google are listening to their users...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 12/09/09 at 19:39
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> I'm sure most people would have noticed that in the last few days
> Google have made changes to increase the size of both the 'search
> box' and text/font.

Nice post Hmmm, saw the 'new effect' this morning and thought my browser had taken on a life of its own - not unusual - thanks for the heads up:-)

I could read it before...but I can damn well read it now:-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.