GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CHMOD problem with simple CMS system."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/10/06 at 17:09
"Are you sure?"
Thought I would see if anyone can help...

I'm trying out a very basic flat-file Content Management System called Newsscript.

The basic version is free and can be up and running within a few minutes.

After amending the main script as required for my account and FTPing to my Freeola webspace the next step is to change the permissions (CHMOD) on two of the files.

The main script and the database file are changed to 755.
This is where my problem is - the only way I can get the script running properly so that I can add new records etc. is to have the database file (news.txt) set to 777. With the file permissions set like this everything works fine but I guess it's not at all secure! If anyone knows different please let me know.

I've contacted the writer and they can't understand it either and are suggesting it may be Freeola's configuration. I have many other scripts in use that work fine using 755 where required, so I don't think it's Freeola.

If anyone fancies trying to troubleshoot this then the script can be downloaded here from www.newsscript.co.uk
Wed 02/11/11 at 18:22
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I thought I'd post here and mention this just in case..

If you are using the free hosting service, for security reasons, I wouldn't advise setting file permissions above 755. Using this permission on the free hosting will also allow the file in question to be read, written and executed by scripts that you have in place.

On the other hand, with the VIP Hosting service, as each hosting service runs in it's own sand box, there should be no issue with using permissions as high as 777.
Wed 02/11/11 at 08:45
"Are you sure?"
Wow - did you see that was 5 YEARS to the day that this was updated - how time flies!

I'm not sure you gave the right address for that fubar CMS !?!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 01/11/11 at 22:26
Regular
"We are not alone..."
I've used news script for some while now and found it to be a nice stable ad advanced platform that is easily re-modelled for specific use with a little html coding knowledge for the display pages.

I too found that using CHMOD 766 resolved the write issue, however the script is not immune to script injection, and therefore I invested in an SQL database and now opt for more robust Joomla and Wordpress installations

http://fubar.com/ is another great free flat inline forum script, again quite powerful and feature full, however a word of warning when using Fubar forum... It has been known to be hacked using script injection attacks.
Wed 01/11/06 at 09:18
"Are you sure?"
After some more poking about I've found that some of my other scripts that also write to a text file actually have the file CHMOD'd to 766 !

I've been running some of these for years and never been hacked so I guess 766 is right for a file that needs to be writable.

I've changed my Newsscript file to 766 and it's working fine and hopefully more secure than using 777.

Newsscript seems to be fairly popular so I'm not sure how others are using 755 for this.

Never mind I think I'm all sorted now.
If anyone wants a simple CMS system then take a look at Newsscript...
Tue 31/10/06 at 17:09
"Are you sure?"
Thought I would see if anyone can help...

I'm trying out a very basic flat-file Content Management System called Newsscript.

The basic version is free and can be up and running within a few minutes.

After amending the main script as required for my account and FTPing to my Freeola webspace the next step is to change the permissions (CHMOD) on two of the files.

The main script and the database file are changed to 755.
This is where my problem is - the only way I can get the script running properly so that I can add new records etc. is to have the database file (news.txt) set to 777. With the file permissions set like this everything works fine but I guess it's not at all secure! If anyone knows different please let me know.

I've contacted the writer and they can't understand it either and are suggesting it may be Freeola's configuration. I have many other scripts in use that work fine using 755 where required, so I don't think it's Freeola.

If anyone fancies trying to troubleshoot this then the script can be downloaded here from www.newsscript.co.uk

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.