GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"who should they sue?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/10/03 at 12:13
Regular
Copying Stuff, or mentioning it always seems to upset people. sorry.

Just a Thought This, perhaps the record companys should take on the manufacturers of the devices that allow the wholesale copying of material?

If someone provides you with a device that enables you to break the law and make multiple copies of something then are the jointly responsible?

if you give someone a gun (with your name stamped on it!) and then they go shoot someone im sure the cops would be round you house fairly sharpish with a assisted homecide rap, if you give some one the means to do something then are you not responsible when they do?

Im not against copyright theft, just in-case you are wondering.
Sat 18/10/03 at 13:27
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Nah - I don't use MSN mate.
Fri 17/10/03 at 21:26
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Gonzo, what is your MSN, if you have it?
Fri 17/10/03 at 21:22
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
P@st@ wrote:
> Sorry, I'm just a grumpy old git at 21 who doesn't like that sort of
> tosh. In fact, i didn't like it then.

Me = 22 and not bothered :)

> If you can get me some figures on this I'll believe you. Remember
> also that more than this are made, so the costs would go down even
> further.

Overall, releasing a single makes money if done right, but from air play royalties, not sales of the physical single. They are used as promotion to sell albums and, as I said, get air play on radio and TV to bring in the PRS money. I don't have figures or anything, that's just how it works.
Fri 17/10/03 at 15:17
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Dr Gonzo wrote:

> Who are by far the largest single body of shareholds in the UK? The
> Pension Companies, looking after money for Mom and Pop. Evil gits.

I'm not saying that I won't associate with them. I'm no hippy and i know how the world works, as it is, I've been paying into a pension since I was 18.

> See the talk of the new pricing scheme launched for singles over the
> last few weeks. Truth is, albums are so cheep now that the single is
> largly a dead format.

not seen it sorry dude - what is it.

Its also the reason why there is boy band after boy band and
things like 'pop idol'. Its utter tosh that people will forget about
in a few years - look at Hear'say

> Yeah - but that's exactly what the single buying type of person
> wants. Singles are typically bought by kids up to their early teens,
> the sort of people who love Pop Idol etc. And there's nothing wrong
> with that at all.

Sorry, I'm just a grumpy old git at 21 who doesn't like that sort of tosh. In fact, i didn't like it then.

HOwever, I cannot say that they are not talented as individuals, and I own Mr. Williams and Mr.Timberlakes first albums. I just don't like the marketing that put around Boy bands.

>Yeah I can. Singles are largly a promotional tool to sell albums and
>are priced to break even.

If you can get me some figures on this I'll believe you. Remember also that more than this are made, so the costs would go down even further.

I think downloading is piracy if you use it the wrong way. Personally, I use it to sample music before buying the album (If i like, if I don't then I'm not keeping it and its to the recycling bin in the sky).
Fri 17/10/03 at 15:07
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
P@st@ wrote:
> All MNC's are evil and money grabbing for there shareholders.

Who are by far the largest single body of shareholds in the UK? The Pension Companies, looking after money for Mom and Pop. Evil gits.

> I don't
> mind buying albums, buy singles are well overpriced.

See the talk of the new pricing scheme launched for singles over the last few weeks. Truth is, albums are so cheep now that the single is largly a dead format.

> Its also the reason why there is boy band after boy band and
> things like 'pop idol'. Its utter tosh that people will forget about
> in a few years - look at Hear'say

Yeah - but that's exactly what the single buying type of person wants. Singles are typically bought by kids up to their early teens, the sort of people who love Pop Idol etc. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

> You cannot tell me that producing 10,000 (currently what it takes to
> get a record into the top ten) copies of a CD costs more than
> £40,000.

Yeah I can. Singles are largly a promotional tool to sell albums and are priced to break even.
Fri 17/10/03 at 14:37
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> A bit of careful shopping and you'll not have to spend over £9
> to pick up a standard single CD album. That's not overpriced, it's a
> perfectly good deal.

I agree, however I rarely buy albums over the net (im impatient like that, I'd rather buy it at Tesco's for £11, and yes I think thats fine.

HMV really pishes me off though, starting at £13.99 for a new album. My lord, its not as if there a tiny independant retailer who needs those prices to gain a profit!

> That doesn't mean you can steal it. Talk about multi-national
> companies and evil guys out to *shock horror* make a profit for their
> investors! Next you'll be saying taxi drivers aren't just nice guys
> with a little extra space in their cars.

All MNC's are evil and money grabbing for there shareholders. I don't mind buying albums, buy singles are well overpriced. If they were always £2 (not like most shops, were its only that for the first week) they would stay in the charts longer and sell more copies. Its also the reason why there is boy band after boy band and things like 'pop idol'. Its utter tosh that people will forget about in a few years - look at Hear'say

You cannot tell me that producing 10,000 (currently what it takes to get a record into the top ten) copies of a CD costs more than £40,000.
Fri 17/10/03 at 13:43
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
It's not that I'm against CD copying but it is annoying to know that people would rather download all the tracks from an album and then put them onto a cd, and play it in their CD player and say 'yeah I own the Funeral For A Friend album, I'm an absolute massive fan'. But they're not, if they were such a fan they'd buy the album.

I don't mind copying a CD as long as I have bought it firts I.e have one in my room and one in my car.
Fri 17/10/03 at 13:34
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
A bit of careful shopping and you'll not have to spend over £9 to pick up a standard single CD album. That's not overpriced, it's a perfectly good deal. If you think it's too expensive, tough luck! That doesn't mean you can steal it. Talk about multi-national companies and evil guys out to *shock horror* make a profit for their investors! Next you'll be saying taxi drivers aren't just nice guys with a little extra space in their cars.
Fri 17/10/03 at 11:10
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
That seems to be the case with Eminem and co -

They get blamed whilst the parents who raised the child do not - Hmmmmm
Fri 17/10/03 at 11:08
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Manufacturers or Software developers cannot be held accountable for their products being used for activities which were not their intended use.

Somebody shoots someone else, who do you blame, the gun manufacturer?

It is the MISUSE of the available resources that is the crime, not the availability of those resources.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.