GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP accessing SQL SERVER database"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/04/09 at 12:12
Regular
I have been using php scripts to access MySQL database with no problems on Freeola.

I have just had a requirement to connect to a SQL server database elsewhere and my initial attempt to connect threw up a worrying messge:

Call to undefined function mssql_connect()

Anyone else in FreeolaLand using this and has experience on
what php commands Freeola is supporting in this field.
Mon 20/04/09 at 09:28
Regular
Hi Eccles,

Thanks for your feedback. Could you let me know via email if/when MSSQL can be supported folowing your trials.

Many thanks.
Thu 16/04/09 at 15:54
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hello,

Just been doing a quick bit of research on this and there seems to been a free extension we could use called FreeTDS that can be compiled into PHP. I will have to check whether it will be possible to run this and if so some tests will have to be made before it can go live on the VIP hosting servers so please hold off switching to VIP until I can confirm whether we can support MSSQL for you.
The php.net manual is a bit misleading as it fails to mention (even if it is obvious to some) that MSSQL is compiled by default for Windows machines running PHP not for unix machines.
Thu 16/04/09 at 13:31
Regular
Hi Eccles,

Thanks for that. I was starting to suspect that was the case. I wilI look into the VIP hosting for that particular website.
Thu 16/04/09 at 13:18
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Whilst we don't support MSSQL if you are using our VIP hosting service it may be possible for us to install the PHP MSSQL extension so that you can use PHP MSSQL functions.
If you are using our free hosting then I'm afraid it's MySQL support only.

MSSQL support has to be compile into PHP just as MySQL support does. By default this is not done, hence the lack of mssql_ functions.
Thu 16/04/09 at 12:26
Regular
The server with the MSSQL database I am trying to access is not on Freeola and so I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that I should still be able to use the approriate PHP commands which should be supported to remotely access the database.

The scenario is I have a website hosted on Freeola which I would like to pull some data to from a SQLSERVER database which is on a server elsewhere. It may be this is not possible (although it should be). PHP includes a variety of commands that may access different databases so I don't understand why I am getting the message I am.
Thu 16/04/09 at 12:20
Regular
"mssql_connect()"

Is a command for MSSQL rather than MySQL.

I'd of thought the problem would lie there somewhere as we do not support MSSQL, unless I'm missing something.

I'm not too sure about this one but I hope that helps somewhat - our servers are unix-based and thus use MySQL.
Thu 16/04/09 at 12:12
Regular
I have been using php scripts to access MySQL database with no problems on Freeola.

I have just had a requirement to connect to a SQL server database elsewhere and my initial attempt to connect threw up a worrying messge:

Call to undefined function mssql_connect()

Anyone else in FreeolaLand using this and has experience on
what php commands Freeola is supporting in this field.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.