GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A quick thank you to Freeola"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/03/09 at 21:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
[B][U]A quick thank you to Freeola[/U][/B][

I think it was back in 1996 or 1997 that I came across a mail order company advertising themselves in GamesMaster magazine, offering video games and PC peripherals in exchange for a years membership, which appeared to be a worthwhile deal to accept, which I did, even gaining a free Playstation memory card in the process, and remained a member until the end of Special Reserve came around in (I think) 2005. Over those years I purchased quite a few games, and other items, and even remember the reddy system they put together.

But in 1999, having seen that the very same company had started up an ISP, Freeola, I decided to also gave that a shot, and it seems I'm still here. So, I though it only polite to say thanks.

The Internet Service!

While with Freeserve, I found that the connections started to time-out or disconnect more often than I felt acceptable, and seeing Freeola's own dial-up service used the same principal of local-rate call costs only, and having an account with Special Reserve, I altered my dial-up details and gave the service ago. It connected every time, the speed was as expected for dial-up, and I was rarely disconnected. To this very day, the dial-up service appears rock solid, and I still use it to upload files to my web space.

I haven't used the broadband service, so can't comment on it, but others seems to consider the service reliable and satisfactory.

So, Freeola, thanks for that one :)

Web Space, Domains & email!

Another draw at the time was my interest in the world wide web as a whole, and wanting to learn how to make web pages. I started with one of the free domain names on offer, but soon purchased a domain name and started using this for my web site playground, as well as my email, which to this day I still use. It's been rare for any issues to occur, and they are sorted pretty swiftly if they do crop up. The web space is plentiful, and the response times seem as good as could be expected. The use of PHP is a real bonus, and MySQL access a handy addition. It would be handy if some sort of SSL option was available though, for those who use log-ins and contact forms, but all in all, it works a treat.

Chat Forums!

I've never been a heavy user of the chat forums outside of the web section, but within that area I've learned a lot from a range of talented and kind people who've shared their knowledge and time. It was here that I increased my know-how of CSS and PHP, as well as learning all sorts of other useful hints and tips. I've tried to share my learning's with others, in the form of articles, which I hope others have benefited from. While I'm not as active as I used to be, I still pop along and see what's going on, what's new, and to add my 2 cents when I can. The reviews were also fun to write.

The Freeola chat forums are also great for another reason, which I mention at the end of this post.

The Cheats & Walkthroughs!

I have to admit I haven't used these much, as I'm not a huge games player anymore, though there was the odd occasion where I would mess around with cheats for Vice City. I've written one or two walkthroughs in the past, and added some cheats, and it is no doubt a handy feature for others to use, just one that's been used sporadically by myself.

But still, Freeola, thanks for that one :)

The Bingo!

The bingo was fun, something different, and easy to get to grips with, though it's a shame it didn't last longer than it did, but I guess it's understandable. I assume you still have the code and what not about, so maybe there's the chance that a couple of special games could make their way back to Freeola over the holiday periods?

The Prizes!

Of course, with all that chatting, I've been fortunate enough to have been awarded with a number of prizes, most of which were Amazon vouchers, but the odd game here or there too. They were mostly for web development articles and reviews, which are scattered about somewhere, but it was great to be able to do most of my Christmas shopping via Amazon vouchers. I think I won the Freeola bingo a couple of times as well, and at one point, won a standard prize and extra prize on the same day, which I was well chuffed about.

Best of all!

But at the end of the day, out of all those things, there is always something that stands out, something that I'll remember until the end of my days. The very best part of having been a Freeola customer, and member of the chat forums, is that I've been able to meet one person in particular, someone who I could in fact write a whole thread about in their own right, someone who I think very highly of, and that person is the charming young lady you all know as Vee.

So, Freeola, thanks for that one especially :o)
Mon 16/03/09 at 18:50
Regular
Erowid wrote:
> Deary me - you trying out for a GAD by any chance - or maybe
> something
> more
perhaps?!
>
> No need to thank me for that one ... 8^*

ahahahaha! Winnar!!
Sun 15/03/09 at 22:23
Regular
"Monochromatic"
That was the most shameless suckupery that I've ever seen. I salute you.
Sun 15/03/09 at 22:14
Regular
Deary me - you trying out for a GAD by any chance - or maybe something more perhaps?!

No need to thank me for that one ... 8^*
Sun 15/03/09 at 22:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
For that cjh, .....thank you
Sun 15/03/09 at 21:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
[B][U]A quick thank you to Freeola[/U][/B][

I think it was back in 1996 or 1997 that I came across a mail order company advertising themselves in GamesMaster magazine, offering video games and PC peripherals in exchange for a years membership, which appeared to be a worthwhile deal to accept, which I did, even gaining a free Playstation memory card in the process, and remained a member until the end of Special Reserve came around in (I think) 2005. Over those years I purchased quite a few games, and other items, and even remember the reddy system they put together.

But in 1999, having seen that the very same company had started up an ISP, Freeola, I decided to also gave that a shot, and it seems I'm still here. So, I though it only polite to say thanks.

The Internet Service!

While with Freeserve, I found that the connections started to time-out or disconnect more often than I felt acceptable, and seeing Freeola's own dial-up service used the same principal of local-rate call costs only, and having an account with Special Reserve, I altered my dial-up details and gave the service ago. It connected every time, the speed was as expected for dial-up, and I was rarely disconnected. To this very day, the dial-up service appears rock solid, and I still use it to upload files to my web space.

I haven't used the broadband service, so can't comment on it, but others seems to consider the service reliable and satisfactory.

Web Space, Domains & email!

Another draw at the time was my interest in the world wide web as a whole, and wanting to learn how to make web pages. I started with one of the free domain names on offer, but soon purchased a domain name and started using this for my web site playground, as well as my email, which to this day I still use. It's been rare for any issues to occur, and they are sorted pretty swiftly if they do crop up. The web space is plentiful, and the response times seem as good as could be expected. The use of PHP is a real bonus, and MySQL access a handy addition. It would be handy if some sort of SSL option was available though, for those who use log-ins and contact forms, but all in all, it works a treat.

Chat Forums!

I've never been a heavy user of the chat forums outside of the web section, but within that area I've learned a lot from a range of talented and kind people who've shared their knowledge and time. It was here that I increased my know-how of CSS and PHP, as well as learning all sorts of other useful hints and tips. I've tried to share my learning's with others, in the form of articles, which I hope others have benefited from. While I'm not as active as I used to be, I still pop along and see what's going on, what's new, and to add my 2 cents when I can. The reviews were also fun to write.

The Freeola chat forums are also great for another reason, which I mention at the end of this post.

The Cheats & Walkthroughs!

I have to admit I haven't used these much, as I'm not a huge games player anymore, though there was the odd occasion where I would mess around with cheats for Vice City. I've written one or two walkthroughs in the past, and added some cheats, and it is no doubt a handy feature for others to use, just one that's been used sporadically by myself.

But still, Freeola, thanks for that one :)

The Bingo!

The bingo was fun, something different, and easy to get to grips with, though it's a shame it didn't last longer than it did, but I guess it's understandable. I assume you still have the code and what not about, so maybe there's the chance that a couple of special games could make their way back to Freeola over the holiday periods?

The Prizes!

Of course, with all that chatting, I've been fortunate enough to have been awarded with a number of prizes, most of which were Amazon vouchers, but the odd game here or there too. They were mostly for web development articles and reviews, which are scattered about somewhere, but it was great to be able to do most of my Christmas shopping via Amazon vouchers. I think I won the Freeola bingo a couple of times as well, and at one point, won a standard prize and extra prize on the same day, which I was well chuffed about.

Best of all!

But at the end of the day, out of all those things, there is always something that stands out, something that I'll remember until the end of my days. The very best part of having been a Freeola customer, and member of the chat forums, is that I've been able to meet one person in particular, someone who I could in fact write a whole thread about in their own right, someone who I think very highly of, and that person is the charming young lady you all know as Vee.

So, Freeola, thanks for that one especially :o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.