GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Simpsons: Hit & Run"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Simpsons: Hit & Run'.
Thu 12/10/06 at 18:46
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
The majority of racing and driving titles today have an overwhelming focus on achieving realism. However taking a bold step into the genre by toning down absolute realism and replacing it with humour and downright craziness, Hit and Run promises to appeal not only to the fans of The Simpson’s saga but also those who simply need to exercise their funny bones and want a good challenge alongside it.

Hit & Run presents the player with a chance to tour, destroy and terrorise the Simpson’s neighbourhood and, unlike Road Rage, this can be done on foot or by vehicle. With three huge destructible maps, with varying objectives and bonus missions across them, to explore you can be almost guaranteed many good hours of gameplay and be highly entertained along the way.

Tasks set in the game allow the player to often recreate memorable and classic moments from The Simpsons such as when Chief Wiggum is desperate for doughnuts and can’t protect the town without their aid, so it’s up to you to race to the shops and nip back in time. Achieving this goal and others will allow you to unlock bonus cars and multiplayer levels.

Unfortunately the multiplayer is the game’s major let down: not continuing with the theme of explosive 3D graphics, it’s back to basics as the only multiplayer options are for you and a friend to race on a 2D circuit. This compared to the single player is quite devastating.

Although the graphics aren’t as razor sharp as other titles they are still very amiable. They show a friendly face to the player as they capture all the well known scenes from across the episodes, making you feel like a real Springfield resident or ‘Springfieldon’. Locations include Moe’s Tavern and Burns’ manor house, all of which can be fully explored.

The comedy is served to the player by none-other than the whole Simpson family and additional cast, including the quirky Kwick-E-Mart owner, Apu. Needless to say the entire captured cast in the game have their voices directly from the actors in the Simpson’s studios. So, in all honesty, this game could come with a guarantee promising a full refund if it doesn’t make the player laugh.

Taking a GTA-spin on things Hit & Run has side missions to complete and tokens to collect, which will then unlock new cars, from Groundskeeper Willie’s tractor to a Duff lorry, each with their own unique style. However, unlike GTA, Hit & Run is far from violent; although you can run down your neighbours (Flanders especially in Homer’s case) they’ll take it all in good humour and simply roll away. Hit & Run really does deserve to be admired for such a quality as it has opened itself to almost all age groups, so any fan can enjoy it.

Overall this light-hearted title can appeal to anyone, and all that the player requires to have a fantastic, and often fanatic, ride throughout is a sense of humour and even if you believe yourself to be without one, this game can probably bring it out of you as you unexpectedly chuckle at one of the game’s characters’ remarks.

As Bart would say, ‘Supoib’.
Wed 18/10/06 at 01:25
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Although I think Hit and Run is a good game, there are a few things that annoy me about it.

The game is far too short and I thought it was pretty easy to finish.

The multiplayer, although 'cute', was pretty tame, as you mentioned.

The fact that Springfield was split up in sections and you couldn't drive around the whole town.

It just would have been nice if there was a bit more to do. Other than that, I think it's great. Homer's sayings still make me laugh. It's just a shame the TV series has fallen so far from where it was.
Tue 17/10/06 at 19:11
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Hehe, thanks. And I'm still around! :-)
Tue 17/10/06 at 16:41
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Bought the game, played it, should have bought the T-shirt, but instead I left it gathering dust in a bookcase in between TOCA Race Driver 2 and Tropico! :D

Great stuff ST... damn the fact you're never around these days!
Sat 14/10/06 at 14:56
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
This review is so SMART, so SMART, S-M-R-T, I mean, S-M-A-R-T!

I'd buy it if I didn't already own it!
Thu 12/10/06 at 22:09
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
"I wish I had a dog with a saddle"
Definetley my favourite, nice review.
Thu 12/10/06 at 18:46
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
The majority of racing and driving titles today have an overwhelming focus on achieving realism. However taking a bold step into the genre by toning down absolute realism and replacing it with humour and downright craziness, Hit and Run promises to appeal not only to the fans of The Simpson’s saga but also those who simply need to exercise their funny bones and want a good challenge alongside it.

Hit & Run presents the player with a chance to tour, destroy and terrorise the Simpson’s neighbourhood and, unlike Road Rage, this can be done on foot or by vehicle. With three huge destructible maps, with varying objectives and bonus missions across them, to explore you can be almost guaranteed many good hours of gameplay and be highly entertained along the way.

Tasks set in the game allow the player to often recreate memorable and classic moments from The Simpsons such as when Chief Wiggum is desperate for doughnuts and can’t protect the town without their aid, so it’s up to you to race to the shops and nip back in time. Achieving this goal and others will allow you to unlock bonus cars and multiplayer levels.

Unfortunately the multiplayer is the game’s major let down: not continuing with the theme of explosive 3D graphics, it’s back to basics as the only multiplayer options are for you and a friend to race on a 2D circuit. This compared to the single player is quite devastating.

Although the graphics aren’t as razor sharp as other titles they are still very amiable. They show a friendly face to the player as they capture all the well known scenes from across the episodes, making you feel like a real Springfield resident or ‘Springfieldon’. Locations include Moe’s Tavern and Burns’ manor house, all of which can be fully explored.

The comedy is served to the player by none-other than the whole Simpson family and additional cast, including the quirky Kwick-E-Mart owner, Apu. Needless to say the entire captured cast in the game have their voices directly from the actors in the Simpson’s studios. So, in all honesty, this game could come with a guarantee promising a full refund if it doesn’t make the player laugh.

Taking a GTA-spin on things Hit & Run has side missions to complete and tokens to collect, which will then unlock new cars, from Groundskeeper Willie’s tractor to a Duff lorry, each with their own unique style. However, unlike GTA, Hit & Run is far from violent; although you can run down your neighbours (Flanders especially in Homer’s case) they’ll take it all in good humour and simply roll away. Hit & Run really does deserve to be admired for such a quality as it has opened itself to almost all age groups, so any fan can enjoy it.

Overall this light-hearted title can appeal to anyone, and all that the player requires to have a fantastic, and often fanatic, ride throughout is a sense of humour and even if you believe yourself to be without one, this game can probably bring it out of you as you unexpectedly chuckle at one of the game’s characters’ remarks.

As Bart would say, ‘Supoib’.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.