GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's not just a boy thing..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/12/08 at 15:04
"possibly impossible"
BBC News

So challenging the stereotype of lone male gamers playing MMOs in their dark rooms all day, this latest study seems to show "female players now make up about 40% of the gaming population. "

Is it just another bunch of meaningless statistics? Are they based on female characters rather than the players? Or do you think there really are far more female gamers out there than ever before?
Mon 29/12/08 at 22:15
Regular
"Notable"
Ladybird wrote:
> Why? You're a Mario lover aren't cha..

Ha of course but "tinkering with" in light of my username :P Because of you I'm going to be known as a Mario molester ha.

> Why, it's almost as offensive as saying most gamers that are male
> are passive, antisocial, nothing but a buncha waankers. Oh
> wait..

Yes thats true. And that lesbian question was a joke.

> (hm.. waaaanker is banned?)

Yes, just because it's said allot by the English dosen't mean it's a lightly used term :P It's quite offensive.
Mon 29/12/08 at 18:03
Regular
Just Tinka wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> hours tinkering with Mario and Luigi
>
> I resent that comment.
>

Why? You're a Mario lover aren't cha..

> there's a correlation with the pre-historic Neandrathal's
> inclination to satisfy himself in winning a competition in the
> sport of killing something.. hm, makes me wonder.
>
> ....Are you a lesbian by anychance?

That's a negative there, Ghostrider. I'm quite hetero, thankyouverymuch. Although, I am sensing you've placed a concrete stigma on female gamers and that's completely unfair. Why, it's almost as offensive as saying most gamers that are male are passive, antisocial, nothing but a buncha waankers. Oh wait..

(hm.. waaaanker is banned?)
Mon 29/12/08 at 13:13
Regular
"Notable"
Ladybird wrote:
> hours tinkering with Mario and Luigi

I resent that comment.

> there's a correlation with the pre-historic Neandrathal's
> inclination to satisfy himself in winning a competition in the
> sport of killing something.. hm, makes me wonder.

....Are you a lesbian by anychance?
Mon 29/12/08 at 12:58
Regular
A little over twenty years ago, my friends and I were hooked on PacMan and Space Invaders at the arcade. The arcade competitions would get really exciting, with everyone huddled around, pockets full of quarters, cheering. Although it didn't seem like it was a gender specific pastime, I have to admit I was never really into hauling around rolls of quarters to go kill something. But, my boyfriend was undefeated at Space invaders and always at the top of the score charts.. and that was hot.

Then came Atari and Nintendo, Sega and then Sony PlayStation.. and of course, those cute little (sometimes annoying) pocket Tamagotchi's. My friends and I would compete on who could keep theirs alive the longest. Indeed, the advancing gaming technology brought the arcade into the home, yet still I preferred other activities to sitting around for hours tinkering with Mario and Luigi, vitual racing, or blowing things up in a simulated battle zone. Commodore's Tetris sometimes kept my mind occupied, but at that time, I was more interested in computer automation than gaming.

I'm just thinking, that perhaps there's just a natural predisposition to males being drawn to gaming. Physical sports games have also been historically male dominated. Perhaps there's a correlation with the pre-historic Neandrathal's inclination to satisfy himself in winning a competition in the sport of killing something.. hm, makes me wonder.

In any case, it's no wonder female interests in gaming are increasing these days, with advancing variety of gaming software and skill sets. I'm personally really into SIMS 2 and checkin out it's Nightlife Expansion Pack.. because my real nightlife bites.
Wed 24/12/08 at 15:25
Regular
"Notable"
I know a fair few femmes on the PS3 Network. Ones a lesbian, ones a bored and domesticated slave to her boyfriend, ones middle-aged. Get the point? Gamers still tend to be a stereotype of fat slobs and thats no different to the female gamer. There may be more than ever but it's still a drop in the ocean to the number fella gamers.

Of course with the Wii and games like Animal Farm it's obvious there are going to be more girls playing.

I go on PS Home and I've seen about two girls. Their always surrounded by hundreds of people like Wow a real women

Yes, women are on the increase, if you can call them women.

bails
Wed 24/12/08 at 15:04
"possibly impossible"
BBC News

So challenging the stereotype of lone male gamers playing MMOs in their dark rooms all day, this latest study seems to show "female players now make up about 40% of the gaming population. "

Is it just another bunch of meaningless statistics? Are they based on female characters rather than the players? Or do you think there really are far more female gamers out there than ever before?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.