GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Welcome Stranger"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/12/08 at 12:26
Regular
Hello all,

How have you all been lately?

It's good to see this place still going. I visited Cardiff last week and as I was getting ready to go I found an old Special Reserve catalogue. Which was nice.

I mention Cardiff because I was there to do some Christmas shopping (and to visit the Doctor Who Museum), but instead of spending any money on friends and family, I instead bought myself a shiny, shiny PlayStation 3.

Now I've never been too fond of Sony’s box. Aside from it being a fantastic piece of kit, the exclusive software has been somewhat lacking, and third party titles are generally superior on Xbox 360. Also, despite being the self-proclaimed HD console, it doesn’t come with a HD cable (Why? Only God knows... and Sony... they probably know too).

Nope, the PlayStation 3 has never really been the console for me. But that was until last month, when LittleBigPlanet came out.

For all the hype, LittleBigPlanet is actually brilliant. It’s a true platforming great that transcends demographics, pleasing the hardcore and the casual in equal measures. As my friends over at Official Nintendo Magazine said, it’s the best game Nintendo never made.

In fact, it felt like all next-gen consoles had been stamped with the Nintendo insignia this week, with Banjo Kazooie getting released over in Xbox land too. For a multi-console owning Nintendo lover such as myself, November has been like a dream.

Yet it is a little depressing that to get my Nintendo fix this year I’ve had to buy rival machines. Nintendo may be trying to please the hardcore with the promise of new Mario, Zelda and Pikmin games, but that’s not what I’m after. I want new, inventive IPs. Wii Music and Wii Fit are all well and good, but Nintendo could have made LittleBigPlanet... especially when you consider how influential Nintendo has been to the game’s developers.

But I won’t moan too much. Nintendo is sure to have a few nice tricks up its sleeves for 2009. And at least the Wii has lasted me over two years. Unlike my Xbox 360, which died last week ¬- one month out of warranty. Useless piece of...
Sat 13/12/08 at 12:12
Regular
I'm optimistic for Wii in 2009.

I went to a Sega event last week and got my hands on The Conduit, Mad World, Sonic and House of the Dead. And you know what... they aint bad. Wasn't massively impressed by The Conduit (the trailers look a lot better than the demo I played) but the other three were pretty nice. Especially House and Mad World.

It was the production values that impressed me. They all had a lot of detailed aspects and ideas... it wasn't a rushed out casual game.

I expect a few big hardcore Nintendo titles by Q4 this year. Not just Sin and Punishment 2 (although that looks fine)... but perhaps a new Pikmin and Starfox. But Sega could well be the team to tie us over in the first half... them and Capcom.
Fri 12/12/08 at 09:33
Regular
Well hello Dringo - long time no see!

I know what you mean about having to look for Nintendo greatness on other systems. I've been playing Nuts & Bolts, Scene it and even Lips as there doesn't seem to be any new decent IP on Wii this Christmas to warrant my cash. Ofcourse, if I want to be a cheerleader or look after my horse, there's plenty of stuff out on Wii....

I haven't got the money for a PS3 so Little Big Planet will always be a game I'll have to hope is still playable in the future...or when Sony go the way of SEGA (yeah right) we'll see a future edition on Xbox or Nintendo systems...

With the exception of Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, I've found most of my Nintendo fun in the virtual console section of my Wii...great as I enjoy retro games, but I bought the Wii for all its features, not just the old stuff...
Wed 10/12/08 at 12:38
"possibly impossible"
Nice to see you back on these forums.

Yeah, my 360 died last month, but luckily just in the 3 year Warranty period so it got replaced in a week (just before GOW2).

LBP is fantastic isn't it? The whole level creation thing is so in depth without being too scary and the game itself with Mr Fry's oh so dry comments is almost perfect (bar the odd depth controls).

That said, my Wii has seen some good titles of late too with De Blob being another game Nintendo could have made but one that came from a third party and Rayman Raving Rabbids 3 showing that there's still a reason to buy a mini-game compilation (and a Wii Balance board!).

But, yes, to get the best of these games you do seem to need all three systems. That, to me, has always been the case though, since the days when my SNES and Megadrive sat side by side {waits for 'ebony and ivory' to start playing in the background}
Wed 10/12/08 at 12:26
Regular
Hello all,

How have you all been lately?

It's good to see this place still going. I visited Cardiff last week and as I was getting ready to go I found an old Special Reserve catalogue. Which was nice.

I mention Cardiff because I was there to do some Christmas shopping (and to visit the Doctor Who Museum), but instead of spending any money on friends and family, I instead bought myself a shiny, shiny PlayStation 3.

Now I've never been too fond of Sony’s box. Aside from it being a fantastic piece of kit, the exclusive software has been somewhat lacking, and third party titles are generally superior on Xbox 360. Also, despite being the self-proclaimed HD console, it doesn’t come with a HD cable (Why? Only God knows... and Sony... they probably know too).

Nope, the PlayStation 3 has never really been the console for me. But that was until last month, when LittleBigPlanet came out.

For all the hype, LittleBigPlanet is actually brilliant. It’s a true platforming great that transcends demographics, pleasing the hardcore and the casual in equal measures. As my friends over at Official Nintendo Magazine said, it’s the best game Nintendo never made.

In fact, it felt like all next-gen consoles had been stamped with the Nintendo insignia this week, with Banjo Kazooie getting released over in Xbox land too. For a multi-console owning Nintendo lover such as myself, November has been like a dream.

Yet it is a little depressing that to get my Nintendo fix this year I’ve had to buy rival machines. Nintendo may be trying to please the hardcore with the promise of new Mario, Zelda and Pikmin games, but that’s not what I’m after. I want new, inventive IPs. Wii Music and Wii Fit are all well and good, but Nintendo could have made LittleBigPlanet... especially when you consider how influential Nintendo has been to the game’s developers.

But I won’t moan too much. Nintendo is sure to have a few nice tricks up its sleeves for 2009. And at least the Wii has lasted me over two years. Unlike my Xbox 360, which died last week ¬- one month out of warranty. Useless piece of...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.