GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Modems, Routers, and Xbox..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 22:18
Regular
Well,

Some weeks after my early questions into Xbox LIVE and i'm still finding myself slightly bemused by the whole thing.

I'm not CURRENTLY connected to Broadband, but I have placed an order with Freeola and have my start pack/modem etc. ready for when i'm connected in a few days.

Now... I have an external USB modem. What i've been led to beleive is that i'll have to go THROUGH the PC to use Xbox LIVE. This, i'm informed, is a fairly straightforward procedure with a relatively cheap network card (NIC?) and a few leads. However, this obviously means that I will have to be close to my PC whenever I want to use Xbox LIVE.

I've just noticed a DIFFERENT Broadband connection possibility though. In the ADSL section of the Special Reserve site as well as internal and external ASDL modems, a router/modem combination is listed.

If i'm understanding what i've seen in Xbox LIVE setup diagrams is true, with a router i'm basically able to plug both my PC and Xbox into the router, which is in turn plugged into my modem which leads into my broadband connection.

Now, in this instance I can't see the Xbox actually running THROUGH the PC. I just assume that they go through the same central box and are therefore not strictly connected.

Does this therefore mean that I don't have to have the PC on to play Xbox LIVE (which i'm presuming would be the case otherwise). By the same token, would that then mean I could theoretically run the router/modem without having to be near the PC? (may be a stupid question but I can see a certain logic to the idea)

If anyone can answer either of my above questions i'd be extremely grateful. I hope that if my assumptions are correct and a router would theoretically be a better way of linking up the Xbox, then I still have a chance to return my modem and change it for the router.

Cheers for your help ...
Mon 10/03/03 at 10:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Geoff274544 wrote:
> This Spring I will be connecting a PS2 Adaptor and a Gamecube
> Broadband Adaptor.
>
> I problem I have came across is that the Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modems
> do not have a Ethernet port! Console Adaptors connect into the
> Ethernet port.
>
> I think your PC has to remain on. As u will be still accessing the
> broadband via your ISP.

Yes by using a NIC in your PC. Not too much trouble to get sorted especially if you already have a USB modem and a NIC. To run this method you do need to have Win 98 2nd Edition or greater as previous version dont include Internet Connection Sharing which is the vital part in using a NIC for XBox Live, PS2 or GC.

I have XBox Live already and will possibly look into getting both my PS2 and GC connected as well depending on what games are too be online with either console.
Mon 10/03/03 at 02:17
Regular
This Spring I will be connecting a PS2 Adaptor and a Gamecube Broadband Adaptor.

I problem I have came across is that the Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modems do not have a Ethernet port! Console Adaptors connect into the Ethernet port.

I think your PC has to remain on. As u will be still accessing the broadband via your ISP.
Sat 01/03/03 at 10:12
Regular
"bing bang bong"
You can connect to my NTL set top box via either USB or plug it into a network
Sat 01/03/03 at 01:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It might be rj45 actually, yeah.
Sat 01/03/03 at 01:44
Regular
"How Handy."
Totally depends what the company you go with can get cheap i think...

And aren't NTL RJ45 or USB?
Fri 28/02/03 at 18:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I believe NTL do serial (?) modems. With ADSL you should really have a choice. Many people would prefer to plug their ADSL into a 486/similar, which of course probably wouldn't have USB.
Fri 28/02/03 at 08:06
Regular
Didn't realise that most ASDL modems, including freeola, are USB only, my bad.
Fri 28/02/03 at 08:01
Regular
I'm seriously confused by "freeola-moderators" post. There is no such thing as an Xbox boradband modem.

All broadband systems supply the user with a cable/ASDL modem which interfaces with the games consoles via a standard ethernet port. These Broadband adaptors are misleading for console consumers, all they are, are network cards for consoles.

As for using twisted pair cable to connect two devices to share the connection, that's what I described in my post, but it requires the PC to have one network card if the cable/ASDL modem is connected to the USB port, or it needs two network cards if the modem is required to connect through an ethernet card.

WE can assume that, as people are here on an internet forum, that they already own a PC that they will be connecting to their broadband service, and therefore buying a router is a good option, as it means you don't have to have your PC turned on to use the Xbox online.

As I also said, a router provides hardware security measures such as a firewall, which would all have to be implemented in software on basically a server PC.

As for using a hub to connect several devices, this would "only" work you were still using a main PC as a server. A hub cannot recieve broadband information from the modem and share it between devices, and would only be a suitable option if you had the option to lease more than one IP address from your ISP. At this point networking issues become, much, much more complicated and there is no definitive guide on what you should or shouldn't buy.

Considering you could buy a very, very good router from a well known online hardware distribution company, which is on The Xbox websites list of compatible routers (and also the one I own), for only £50, the general rule should be, if you need to connect more than one device at the same time to your broadband internet connection, buy a router!!!
Thu 27/02/03 at 20:40
Regular
"Digging!"
phi11ip wrote:
> I've got an ethernet cable...
>
> Can I just stick that into the NTL modem, and into my Gamecube and
> have it work?
>
> If I can't, sod it! I'm not buying more stuff!

To set up your cube is easy. But I think NTL is a cable broadband supplier, so you are goning to have troubles with the Gamecube Broadband Adapter. The Gamecube adapter is designed to be pluged into a broadband MicroFilter which is used in ADSL (not cable) and you use it like a PC's modem, filling in you ISP, username, and password as on a PC. Im not sure how that will work with your system. You may ahev to change to an ADSL supplier (if NTL is a cable suplier). If you are using ADSL and want to use it for you Cube, you can just buy a socket splitter (and extra phone cable if needed), attach a MicroFilter, connect to the socket on the Adapter, and there you go.
Thu 27/02/03 at 19:49
"www.Freeola.info"
phi11ip wrote:
> I've got an ethernet cable...
>
> Can I just stick that into the NTL modem, and into my Gamecube and
> have it work?

I never had much luck using the ethernet (RJ45) socket on my NTL mobem (I can't get ADSL in my area).

I used the USB to connect it to the PC and Wingate. I have 5 PC's connected on my broadband and it is so easy to set up.

I am not kidding when I say that I can build a new PC with a network card in. Install windows for the first time and just plug it into the network and the PC is online. Without putting in a single setting. Just open IE and I get a webpage.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.