GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broken PSP?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/08/05 at 18:15
"Uzi Lover"
Hey guys,

Just got back off a trip from Cuba for 2 weeks returning with a broken PSP.

You see, I gave the thing to my girlfriend to hold just before immigration at the airport while I just picked something up. And there it went, with the soft case on, smack down onto the hard floor.

If it was anyopne else I would of gone mental, but hey, I kept my cool, being scared of the damage that may have been caused.

So I right away got the PSP out of its case and the battery cover had popped off and the UMD driver had popped out but no other noticeable damage. It wasn't until later when my girlfriend asked to play it, that I realised the screen was...buggered.

Now, when powered on, a vertical black line about a CM thick, runs down near the centre of the PSP screen. The sound works fine, the games and everything run fine, just this black line now takes over my viewing pleasure.

My take on it is that part of the chip was damaged to make this happen, but maybe (hopefully) theres a way to fix this.

Thats where I ask for your help. Otherwise I'm going to have to get me a new one I think.

Also, I got this off ebay and its JAP so whats things like with warrentys etc?

Thanks for any help.
Sun 04/09/05 at 15:39
Regular
MSN, bollu.
Sun 04/09/05 at 13:52
Regular
The early Japanese screens were Sharp and better quality than the Samsung ones used in the US and Europe.

I have a US PSP and the screen is amazing, though.

Last I heard all new PSPs were using the Samsung screens now anyway.

So there's no way of telling if you're getting one with a Sharp or Samsung screen anyway.

You would be just as well importing a Jap white PSP if you're getting a new one :D.
Sun 04/09/05 at 11:46
"Uzi Lover"
Hey,

Thanks for all the help. Made the thread to see if it could be fixed, but it seems not so!

So now my question is this:

Shall I just get a UK PSP? I've been looking for JAP ones on ebay with 1.0 or 1.5 firmware so I can run stuff (you know what I mean), but in the end, somethings going to force it to update to 2.0 like GTA so I might as well just go for a 2.0 now. What do you all think? Being able to have a SNES etc on my PSP has been great, and I use it just as much as PSP games, it kinda makes the PSP the ultimate system having that.

Theres already games forcing 1.0 to 1.5 to be able to play. Coded arms and Untold legends.

Also, I keep seeing things about the screens on the JAP one compared to the UK. The JAP one has a SHarp screen which is apparently better? Someone can you fill me in on this, whats the difference to a UK screen?
Tue 30/08/05 at 20:07
Regular
"bit of a brain"
kugkv wrote:
> Buy new PSP... return it with old broken PSP and pray they dont check
> it out before giving you a refund.

That is worth a go, although I'm pretty sure they would check, notice that it was JAP and b tell you to crap off.
Tue 30/08/05 at 19:15
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

>
> Insurance is an option, but depends on your policy - many policies
> don't cover 'portable' devices or anything that can reasonably be
> expected to be used outside the home, such as bicycles.
Electronics are a completely differant topic for insurance especially expensive electronics. I have several digital cameras and SLR cameras that cost more than i care to share, these are covered by insurance and used outside on a regular basis. Your best bet is to call your home insurance company and see whats covered. I am not 100% sure if your travel insurance will cover it, they will blow up a huge storm to get out of paying it if they are.
Tue 30/08/05 at 19:06
Regular
Insurance wise though it was dropped at the airport, meaning it would come under the 'Travel Insurance', would it not?
Tue 30/08/05 at 15:08
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> many policies don't cover 'portable' devices or anything that can reasonably be expected to be used outside the home, such as bicycles.

I think these days you can bolt on an 'items away from home' cover with House Insurance, things such as Mobile Phones, PDAs etc can be covered under this (I think maximum £2500 worth of cover) might be worth looking into this to see if you or your parents have taken out this option under your policy.
Tue 30/08/05 at 13:04
"High polygon count"
I think the eBay seller will be a definite no-go. The response you'll get will most likely be of the "you're avin a larf" variety (though probably not so polite), especially as you will no doubt have left positive feedback confirming that you received the item and were happy with it.

Even if Sony would normally honour the warranty, it would still only cover faulty hardware, not damage by the user. If the machine itself is not visually physically damaged, you may get away with it. However, as it's an import machine, they won't touch it, as already explained.

Insurance is an option, but depends on your policy - many policies don't cover 'portable' devices or anything that can reasonably be expected to be used outside the home, such as bicycles.
Tue 30/08/05 at 11:37
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Ouch that must have hurt, I would be fuming. Hope she made it up to you afterwards ;)

I would try and contact the ebay seller and see what he does, read his advert properly, see if theres anything on there regarding returns or damage. Alternativly find a shop in the UK that repairs them like Smashamof states but that could be costly :(

If all fails see if you can claim it under your house insurance, you'll have to stump up an excess fee but it won't be that much.
Tue 30/08/05 at 11:24
Regular
"French the Fries!"
Hey there. When my PSP went faulty, I was recommended to a UK company called Whitedog.co.uk who can fix consoles for you.

http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/ [SPACE] product_info.php?products_id=535

Although, I never did try them myself, it could be worth a shot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.