GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Innovation"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/09/05 at 14:58
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
With the upcoming releases of the 'next generation' consoles over the next 6-12 months (I'm just too lazy to find the dates) I thought it would be useful to find out from people what they truly are expecting in these new consoles, and indeed in consoles even further down the line.
Firstly, I think it goes without saying: wireless. The days of spaghetti junctions forming wherever you choose to play are gone. These upcoming consoles all sport wireless controllers (at the moment) and we can only hope it stays that way.
Secondly, customization. Some may argue that a console is there to be used for gaming purposes only, but the reality is that they will fast become our PCs too. I am not only talking about aesthetic customization here, but also customization in a practical sense. The XBox eliminated the need for memoery cards with its large buitl in hard drive for instance. Maybe in the future we can store other things apart from game saves on our consoles. Maybe even an option of a larger amount of storage space ie. larger hard drive.
I am interested to hear your thoughts on these.
Wed 09/11/05 at 11:23
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Lukeman wrote:
> in the long term I'd like to see Total Immersion (like in Red Dwarf!)
> or similar. Something where you actually feel like you're in the game
> and can interact with everyone intelligently. You could personalize
> the way you look while your in there, and imagine online
> capabilities!

That would be good but you'll get the argument of people are using it to escape reality. I personally would like to see it, I mean it's already getting there with the likes of WoW.
Wed 09/11/05 at 11:06
Regular
"You have a choice"
in the long term I'd like to see Total Immersion (like in Red Dwarf!) or similar. Something where you actually feel like you're in the game and can interact with everyone intelligently. You could personalize the way you look while your in there, and imagine online capabilities!

I think the main thing to look at is what developers do with the controllers they have. As games become more and more complex, the things you can do in them will become more complex, and you will be able to do lots more in the 1st place. The current controllers are limiting, and actions can become very complicated very quickly. Like in MGS, 1st person corner jumpout while crouching is insane! I'd like to see a simple to use, revised controller system.
Tue 08/11/05 at 21:35
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I don't give a f**k, I don't want me in a game, I want someone else.
Tue 08/11/05 at 15:41
Regular
I'd like to see the possibility of personalised gaming avatars being more widely introduced. We've already started to see in-roads made by the introduction of personalising your own soundtrack with the xbox hard-drive and PSP memory sticks. No-one can resist the temptation to edit themselves and all their friends into football games. San Andreas then successfully implemented the idea of personalising the main character in a mass market game. Making CJ reflect your own tastes proved hugely popular. Surely the natural progression is to store a virtual likeness of yourself on your system and then have it introduced into whichever game you are playing. You instantly are able to build a connection between the character and the player even if it is only the likeness that is the same. Character names and behaviour can still be directed by the developers but it would truly be you that is exploring and solving puzzles in the virtual space. I feel this would also be far more impressive than simply having a photo of yourself appear when playing others online. You would truly have your own virtual presence at last.
Fri 04/11/05 at 15:23
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Wireless technology is a must - the days of tangled wires must soon be gone!
Fri 14/10/05 at 18:04
Regular
"What's basketball?"
If the Revolution is intended to be a whole new way to play video games, then new genres will quite possibly need to replace others. Not that I have anything against the current-gen genres- and I'm not saying companies should abandon all present genres- but Nintendo will have to stop relying as heavily on them to make way for new (and maybe better) ones if they plan to make it truely revolutionary.

The days when computer generated games were first enjoyed, no-one would have expected to blown away by such game masterpieces as RPGs or FPS. Obviously, there are genres that many just can't stand; but you cannot deny that each and every one of them brought innovation to gaming itself. It's hard to imagine what surprises await us. Unfortunately we may not appreciate them as much as people used to, but if any new ideas are at the ready then we could very well become half as impressed and lost for words as when Mario took part in the very first go-karting sim or the first time you shot a pixelated being.

Nowadays, all anyone does is critisize certain games because of its genre. You hear it all: "Game X sucks because it is Genre Y!" "Genre A is for morons!" etc.

Of course, people these days are never satisfied. Genre isn't always the case- many gamers whinge about the length of games. Something no amount innovation will be able to change. That's not excluding myself. To us gamers, a game fits into either one of two categories: Too short, or too long. Without all this, everyone would be able to accept games how they are. There would be no wishing for games to be longer; nor would there be complaints about games being "too repetitive and tedious" to go on.

Next-gen may be no different to any of these complications, but as long as they stick to their promises and are actually "revolutionary" we will all continue to be momentarily excited. And then move on to something else(gamewise).
Sun 18/09/05 at 05:44
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
Yeah, that goes without saying. But is there anything 'groundbreaking' that you would like to see?
Fri 16/09/05 at 18:53
Regular
"not dead"
Decent games offering fresh new ideas and fun play experiences.
Fri 16/09/05 at 14:58
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
With the upcoming releases of the 'next generation' consoles over the next 6-12 months (I'm just too lazy to find the dates) I thought it would be useful to find out from people what they truly are expecting in these new consoles, and indeed in consoles even further down the line.
Firstly, I think it goes without saying: wireless. The days of spaghetti junctions forming wherever you choose to play are gone. These upcoming consoles all sport wireless controllers (at the moment) and we can only hope it stays that way.
Secondly, customization. Some may argue that a console is there to be used for gaming purposes only, but the reality is that they will fast become our PCs too. I am not only talking about aesthetic customization here, but also customization in a practical sense. The XBox eliminated the need for memoery cards with its large buitl in hard drive for instance. Maybe in the future we can store other things apart from game saves on our consoles. Maybe even an option of a larger amount of storage space ie. larger hard drive.
I am interested to hear your thoughts on these.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.