GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Game) Lego Batman (Multi)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'LEGO Batman'.
Thu 02/10/08 at 22:10
Regular
"I like turtles"
Lego Batman is the latest game in the Lego gaming series created by developers Travellers Tales.The previous titles in the series Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones were huge successes and this does not stray too far from their winning formula.The game is available on just about all gaming platforms.I tested the Xbox 360 version.

When the game first starts it makes a good impression as the graphics are bright,colourful and easily on a par with those from the previous games.The music is taken from Danny Elfmans 1989 Batman film score and it sounds fantastic.It complements this game perfectly as it really does look and sound great.

Upon playing the game everything is instantly familiar as the controls are virtually identical to those used in the previous games,as are the puzzles,the gameplay,the humour and pretty much everything else to be honest.It depends on whether you loved the previous games so much that just wanted another one to play through or if you fancied something which was at least a little bit different.Sure its great fun and still one of the better platformers available,its just its tinged with a strong hint of déjà vu.

There are some great little touches the developers have added to Lego Batman.There is a large selection of playable characters ranging from the obvious Batman and Robin to a selection of great villains.Apart from the expected Joker,Penguin and Riddler etc. there are some far more obscure enemies such as Clayface and Killer Moth ! (hopefully he will be in Christopher Nolans next Batman film!).Playing the game (in reverse,if you like) as the bad guys is a great idea and one that I found that to be a huge amount of fun.Also the weapons and power ups are really well thought out.The ‘Battarang’ is a boomerang type device which you can throw and hit parts of the playing area which would normally be inaccessible.You can also throw it at enemies who you cannot physically reach.There are also power up suits which are tremendous fun.For instance Batman has a demolition suit which allows you plant,then remotely detonate bombs (in a similar fashion to the C4 perk in Call Of Duty 4).While Robin has a magnetic suit which allows him to walk up metal objects and a technology suit which allows him to remotely control items such as cars etc.There are suit changing points throughout the levels and you can change into whichever happens to be available (but you can only use one at a time).There are also the usual vehicles such as the Batmobile and Batwing but these were nothing more than I was expecting to find in the game to be honest.There is a function now to skip the (sometimes lengthy) FMV sequences should you not be in the mood to sit through them.

Sadly Lego Batman is not all great as there are some pretty major flaws in the game.As with Lego Indiana Jones there is no online co-op mode.Surely this is a pretty standard feature for two player games these days ?.Especially as your sidekicks A.I. is appalling.At times I found the enemies to be more help than he was !.The game also suffers at times from some pretty unhelpful camera angles which I found to be very frustrating.The games difficulty curve can be truly bizarre at times as well.Some parts of the game are extremely easy and you can pretty much walk straight through them while other parts are ridiculously difficult with puzzles which I am finding extremely difficult to figure out.Bearing in mind this is supposed to be a kids/family game it is well beyond the level of say an eight year old in many places.Surely this is alienating a large part of its target audience ?.As in the previous Lego games you use the red ‘b’ button to build items and when using Batmans demolition suit you also use the same button to plant and detonate bombs.The result is when trying to build an item when wearing the suit you repeatedly blow yourself into a hundred little plastic pieces !.This is extremely annoying and by simply using a different button to arm and detonate bombs this problem could easily have been avoided.

Overall,Lego Batman may not be perfect but it is still a lot of fun and if you enjoyed the previous games it really is worth checking it out.However,if you’re not a fan of the Lego games this game is not going to win you over as it really is just more of the same.

7/10.
Fri 27/02/09 at 20:40
Regular
I am a stuck on one part on the game. In each level their are big dumpster bins that have red handles, under some of these are holes which contains the big bomb things you have to collect. I need help i am in free play and can not move these in order to get what ever is under these. I can't understand how i am to complete the levels when what i need is under these dumpsters. Someone any one please help me
Tue 07/10/08 at 16:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Cheers Emmie.Its worth getting IMO,I'm having a lot of fun on it.
Tue 07/10/08 at 12:07
Regular
"THFC"
well done on the win pete - good review. I think i will pick this one up when it drops in price.
Fri 03/10/08 at 20:33
"possibly impossible"
Ah, I remember you saying now in another thread.

It still sounds like a game I would enjoy, I loved Lego Star Wars and Indy and I love Batman. Plus it has Nightwing and Bane!
Fri 03/10/08 at 16:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
> Good review, Pete.
>
> How did you manage to get the game so early? Test copy?
>
> I've got it pre-ordered on Wii.

Cheers pb.Got a US import a few days ago (360 version is region free).I can understand the mixed reaction it seems to have had so far as I pointed out what I believed to be its shortcomings in the review.No reason not to buy it if you enjoyed the other Lego games IMO.I'm having a lot of fun on it and don't regret buying it at all.
Fri 03/10/08 at 13:25
"possibly impossible"
Good review, Pete.

How did you manage to get the game so early? Test copy?

I've got it pre-ordered on Wii.
Thu 02/10/08 at 22:10
Regular
"I like turtles"
Lego Batman is the latest game in the Lego gaming series created by developers Travellers Tales.The previous titles in the series Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones were huge successes and this does not stray too far from their winning formula.The game is available on just about all gaming platforms.I tested the Xbox 360 version.

When the game first starts it makes a good impression as the graphics are bright,colourful and easily on a par with those from the previous games.The music is taken from Danny Elfmans 1989 Batman film score and it sounds fantastic.It complements this game perfectly as it really does look and sound great.

Upon playing the game everything is instantly familiar as the controls are virtually identical to those used in the previous games,as are the puzzles,the gameplay,the humour and pretty much everything else to be honest.It depends on whether you loved the previous games so much that just wanted another one to play through or if you fancied something which was at least a little bit different.Sure its great fun and still one of the better platformers available,its just its tinged with a strong hint of déjà vu.

There are some great little touches the developers have added to Lego Batman.There is a large selection of playable characters ranging from the obvious Batman and Robin to a selection of great villains.Apart from the expected Joker,Penguin and Riddler etc. there are some far more obscure enemies such as Clayface and Killer Moth ! (hopefully he will be in Christopher Nolans next Batman film!).Playing the game (in reverse,if you like) as the bad guys is a great idea and one that I found that to be a huge amount of fun.Also the weapons and power ups are really well thought out.The ‘Battarang’ is a boomerang type device which you can throw and hit parts of the playing area which would normally be inaccessible.You can also throw it at enemies who you cannot physically reach.There are also power up suits which are tremendous fun.For instance Batman has a demolition suit which allows you plant,then remotely detonate bombs (in a similar fashion to the C4 perk in Call Of Duty 4).While Robin has a magnetic suit which allows him to walk up metal objects and a technology suit which allows him to remotely control items such as cars etc.There are suit changing points throughout the levels and you can change into whichever happens to be available (but you can only use one at a time).There are also the usual vehicles such as the Batmobile and Batwing but these were nothing more than I was expecting to find in the game to be honest.There is a function now to skip the (sometimes lengthy) FMV sequences should you not be in the mood to sit through them.

Sadly Lego Batman is not all great as there are some pretty major flaws in the game.As with Lego Indiana Jones there is no online co-op mode.Surely this is a pretty standard feature for two player games these days ?.Especially as your sidekicks A.I. is appalling.At times I found the enemies to be more help than he was !.The game also suffers at times from some pretty unhelpful camera angles which I found to be very frustrating.The games difficulty curve can be truly bizarre at times as well.Some parts of the game are extremely easy and you can pretty much walk straight through them while other parts are ridiculously difficult with puzzles which I am finding extremely difficult to figure out.Bearing in mind this is supposed to be a kids/family game it is well beyond the level of say an eight year old in many places.Surely this is alienating a large part of its target audience ?.As in the previous Lego games you use the red ‘b’ button to build items and when using Batmans demolition suit you also use the same button to plant and detonate bombs.The result is when trying to build an item when wearing the suit you repeatedly blow yourself into a hundred little plastic pieces !.This is extremely annoying and by simply using a different button to arm and detonate bombs this problem could easily have been avoided.

Overall,Lego Batman may not be perfect but it is still a lot of fun and if you enjoyed the previous games it really is worth checking it out.However,if you’re not a fan of the Lego games this game is not going to win you over as it really is just more of the same.

7/10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.