GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Slicing Images for the Web"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/09/08 at 18:52
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Slicing Images

When we are building layouts it is essential to keep the visitor in mind. As well as making the layout attractive and easy to navigate we must ensure that the layout images load quickly enough to keep the visitor on the page and not leave in fustration. Open up Adobe Imageready-

* Load your image in it's exported format such as .jpg and .gif
* Select Slices from the menu bar at the top
* Choose the number of slices you would like the image to be divided into Horizontally
* Choose the number of slices you would like the image to be divided into Vertically
* I would recommend using more Horizontal slices and only a couple of Vertical slices.
* File > Save Optimised As > Save as type- Html and images

* Open the HTML file in a text-editor such as Notepad
* Copy the Table coding within the page and paste it into source of your website
* Copy the "Images" folder and paste this into the same folder as your webpage
Wed 24/09/08 at 21:10
"Was the man of marz"
:. nitro_goat .: wrote:
> CSS doesn't affect image slicing whatsoever. Slicing can
> dramatically reduce the time taken for the image to load and the
> table which holds the separate image slices can then be
> positioned with CSS if need be!

I thought you on about something else. As for decreasing loading time, I agree with Garin, plus it does look a little cheap when images load in stages like you're back on dial-up (although I know some people still are).
Tue 23/09/08 at 14:27
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Digitrader wrote:
> this sounds so complicated - why the need to slice an image?

Simply there isnt any need. Even if slicing an image up gives you smaller file sizes in the end (and this is by no means certain), you're still introducing overheads with more html and more concurrent server requests.
Tue 23/09/08 at 09:28
Regular
this sounds so complicated - why the need to slice an image? we simply use photoshop and save image for web and keep the file size to below 5okb or less - then you just insert the image from your fav html editor

Digi
Mon 22/09/08 at 21:23
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
CSS doesn't affect image slicing whatsoever. Slicing can dramatically reduce the time taken for the image to load and the table which holds the separate image slices can then be positioned with CSS if need be!
Sun 21/09/08 at 22:45
"Was the man of marz"
I like this method (a lot), but doesn’t CSS sort of make it redundant?
Sun 21/09/08 at 18:52
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Slicing Images

When we are building layouts it is essential to keep the visitor in mind. As well as making the layout attractive and easy to navigate we must ensure that the layout images load quickly enough to keep the visitor on the page and not leave in fustration. Open up Adobe Imageready-

* Load your image in it's exported format such as .jpg and .gif
* Select Slices from the menu bar at the top
* Choose the number of slices you would like the image to be divided into Horizontally
* Choose the number of slices you would like the image to be divided into Vertically
* I would recommend using more Horizontal slices and only a couple of Vertical slices.
* File > Save Optimised As > Save as type- Html and images

* Open the HTML file in a text-editor such as Notepad
* Copy the Table coding within the page and paste it into source of your website
* Copy the "Images" folder and paste this into the same folder as your webpage

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.